HispanicVista.com Weekly Digest

  • EditorialOpinion@aol.com
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 13, 2005
      HispanicVista.com Weekly Digest
      http://www.hispanicvista.com

      Letters to Editor / Announcements / Columnists / Archive / Subscribe / About
      Us / Contact Us
      HispanicVista Columnists - January 7th, 2005Congressman Hunter’s anti-Mexican
      crusade costs US jobs

      By Patrick Osio, Jr
      Were a Congressman to conspire to shut down a business employing 16,000
      workers in his own districts, odds are high he would be booted out of office by
      district voters. The impact of such a shutting would be immediate – 16,000 out of
      work – it would be tangible and devastating to all those families as well as
      to the community at large. But when a Congressman impedes the opening of a
      business that studies by numerous local agencies project will create 16,000 jobs
      the effects are intangible – the effects of such an act cannot be readily seen
      or felt, but are nonetheless devastating to a growing community in need of
      jobs.

      Patrick Osio, Jr. has written a short but intensive manual on the Mexican
      perspective on numerous issues between our two countries. The manual is an in
      depth primer on the culture and protocol for better understanding Mexicans that
      in turn allows establishing personal and business relationships, and how to
      avoid the most common faux pas that can ruin relationships and business deals.
      About the author
      Table of Contents
      Excerpts from the manual
      The manual is available through Electronic delivery for $9.95 making it
      possible to download the manual to save on your hard drive, printing its entirety
      or particular sections while reaping considerable savings over printed copies.
      The Mexican Two-Step
      By Richard N. Baldwin T.
      In the beginning of December we noted the lynching of three Mexican police
      (two were incinerated on live television) in the Tláhuac district of the Federal
      District (Mexico City). I predicted that the fall out would continue for
      quite a while. It is. I also predicted that the politicians would be doing the
      fast two-step to keep trying to put the blame on someone else. They are. When
      most of the three-hour ordeal of these three men was on live television for the
      entire world to see, it is a hard thing to cover up with happy faces.
      Colombia: Reason for Hope?
      By Frank Gómez
      The Colombian Congress recently approved a Constitutional amendment that will
      allow presidents to serve successive terms. This major development received
      scant attention in mainstream U.S. media, but considerable notice in Spanish
      language media. Our Hispanic media got it right: this is big news… First,
      President Álvaro Uribe, now two years into his first term, will be able to run
      for president two years from now. This means that his much applauded efforts
      to bring about an end to the narco-guerrilla war and narco-paramilitary
      counter-insurgency can proceed uninterrupted, assuming he is re-elected.
      Hispanic male voters flock to the President! Guest Columns - January 7th, 2005
      a Malinche [[1]] in our midst?
      By Raoul Lowery Contreras
      President George W. Bush doubled the Hispanic presidential vote of Bob Dole’
      s pathetic 1996 efforts and the California Republican gubernatorial 1998 vote
      cast by Hispanics for Dan Lungren when he was wiped out by money-grubbing Gray
      Davis… Nonetheless, there are some that quibble about how many Hispanic
      votes President Bush received in the Year of our Lord 2004. They fringe-bite
      election-day exit polls, actual county by county results and attack any article
      that points out George W. Bush and the Republican Party did well.By Robert
      Miranda
      What is the price for dignity?... For Maria Cameron of the Hispanic Chamber
      of Commerce, the price is a corporate dinner table and numerous prestigious
      items from Clear Channel for her silent auction fundraiser. In fact, Clear
      Channel will most likely be handing over several thousand dollars this year to the
      Hispanic Chamber of Commerce at its annual banquet… Maria Cameron can thank
      Mark Belling for this opportunity to profit. The Hispanic Chamber of Commerce
      can thank Maria for being a great entrepreneur. The loss of dignity for the
      Mexican community has brought the Hispanic Chamber of Commerce a tidy sum… So, as
      Maria Cameron and the Hispanic Chamber of Commerce enjoy their 30 pieces of
      silver, the Mexican community joined by Latinos and progressive people moves
      forward with its resolve to restore its dignity.
      When English Only is not EnoughIgnore Naysayers – the US is the greatest
      By Domenico Maceri
      Chris Loughran believes that "to be bilingual " will become a strong asset in
      the new millennium and that's why her son Ryan has been going to a
      dual-language school since Kindergarten. Ryan is now 11 and he keeps on honing his
      bilingual skills in Junior High School… A recent report published by Goldman
      Sachs points out that Ryan is on the right track to succeed in the global economy.
      The report sings the praises of dual-language schools, which teach academic
      subjects in two languages. The report stressed that if young Americans wish to
      take leadership roles, they must have skills and knowledge of "languages,
      geography and cultures." By Joe Armendariz
      I have grown bored of the mantra emanating from deep within the bowels of the
      far left; our form of democracy is too unique to promote abroad; our nations
      founders were slave owners; we should all be ashamed for the way we treated
      the Native Indians; Indians were the first true environmentalists; Thomas
      Jefferson was a Deist, not a Christian; the war in Iraq will bankrupt the country;
      blah, blah...
      Chiapas – Forever IndigenousWhy Do I Express Myself Through The Written Word?
      HISTORY
      By John P. Schmal
      During the last decade, the State of Chiapas – long a neglected and oppressed
      region of the Mexican Republic – has been thrust onto the world stage and
      into the media spotlight. The attention given to the political situation in
      Chiapas has initiated a great interest in the plight of the indigenous people of
      that state. But an understanding of the present-day situation in this southern
      state requires a review of its history and its complex ethnic diversity. By
      Randy Jurado Ertll,
      Nearly a year has passed since I wrote an editorial for publication, and the
      long hiatus has left me feeling a bit empty. Now that I begin my Holiday
      break, I can finally take a few hours to write and pause while I listen to smooth
      jazz and some oldies. … Why express oneself in a newspaper, while giving
      thousands of people the opportunity to agree or disagree? Writing is like a
      musician playing his favorite instrument and entertaining a crowd through beautiful
      melodic songs. Words express much power and can help inspire others to
      achieve greatness - just like listening to one's favorite song.
      Christmas Cards from DemocratsNot in my name: Latino nominee does not appeal
      By Steven J. Ybarra, JD
      Happy Mithras day! It is one of my favorite holidays.
      Mithras was perhaps the greatest rival to early Christianity for many
      reasons. In addition to being a popular pagan religion practiced by the Roman Army,
      Mithraism had many similarities to Christianity. Mithras was born of a virgin
      on the 25th of December and he remained celibate. Worship of Mithras
      involved: baptism; partaking of bread marked with a cross and wine as sacrificial
      blood; and holding Sundays sacred. Mithraists called themselves 'brother' and
      were led by a priest called 'father' (Pater). The symbol of the father was a
      staff, a hooked sword, a ring, and a hat. By Maria Blanco
      Recently, I participated in a live radio discussion with several Latino civil
      rights leaders about the nomination of Alberto Gonzales as U.S. attorney
      general. … When the talk show host asked me how I felt about the historic
      significance of the first Latino to be selected as U.S. attorney general, it gave me
      pause. … I responded that because of my concerns about his extreme
      interpretation of international and civil rights law, and his apparent political
      partiality, I could not support Gonzales simply because he is Latino.
      Celebrating Hispanic Heritage
      every day of the year.

      God Bless AmericaImmigration Reform Advocates Encouraged by President’s
      Remarks
      National Immigration Forum
      We’re encouraged that the President is continuing to tout comprehensive
      immigration reform as one of his top priorities for 2005. As thoughts turn to the
      new Congress, getting immigration reform right will be politically difficult
      but vitally necessary to enhancing our national security, improving our
      economy, and fixing a broken immigration system.
      Chile: Less than meets the Eye
      Council on Hemispheric Affairs
      Chile's much-belabored "economic miracle," fashioned from high growth rates,
      macroeconomic stability and explosive export expansion, is widely considered
      by neoliberal advocates to be the masterpiece of the economic model that the
      International Monetary Fund (IMF) has lauded and sought to replicate around the
      world. In Latin America, where significant state intervention has been the
      economic leitmotif for decades, Chile has distinguished itself in recent years as
      a champion of the Washington Consensus which is widely reviled elsewhere in
      the hemisphere…
      COMMENTARY-OPINION
      To Die a Little:
      Migration and Coffee in Mexico and Central America
      By Luis Hernández Navarro | December 13, 2004
      Americas Program, Interhemispheric Resource Center (IRC)
      Reyno Bartolo Hernández died of heatstroke in the Arizona desert near Yuma on
      May 22, 2001. He wasn’t the only Mexican farmer who lost his life that day
      trying to cross the border. Thirteen of his countrymen and -women perished along
      with him in one more of the migratory tragedies of modern history…. Reyno
      and his companions were small coffee growers from the township of Atzalan,
      Veracruz. Atzalan is a formerly rich region but in recent years it has been
      impoverished by senseless policies. New terror for immigrants - Deadly gangs prey on
      border crossers in southern Mexico
      By Chris Hawley
      TAPACHULA, Mexico - Hector Hernán Aguilar is a burly butcher from Honduras,
      skilled with a knife and tough enough to look out for himself. But if there's
      one thing he fears, it's the gangs known as the Mara Salvatrucha. … Aguilar had
      crossed Honduras and Guatemala, hiked through the jungle and swum across the
      Suchiate River to Mexico on his way to cross illegally into the United States.
      The next step was to hop a freight train near Tapachula.
      Arizona Paper is Keeping Count of Deaths in the Borderland – Started Web site
      to help search for missing.
      By Erin Olson
      Michael Marizco, a border reporter for the Arizona Daily Star in Tucson,
      tells the story of an illegal immigrant from Michoacan, Mexico, who was separated
      from his wife on their way to the United States. The man visited Arizona's
      port of entry, where immigrants cross into America, every night for a week,
      hoping his wife would be there. He didn't know if she was alive or if she had
      perished in the journey across the Arizona desert — and Marizco doesn't know if the
      man ever found out. He eventually left the United States and returned to
      Michoacan alone. Younger Latinos react to Prop. 200 -- New generation of activists
      born
      By Yvonne Wingett
      The passage of Proposition 200 has set off a wave of activism among
      Arizona's young Latinos, a level not seen since the Chicano movement of the 1960s. …
      Back then, young Latinos engaged for the first time in boycotts, marches and
      fasts in support of social justice. The Chicano movement shaped the
      personalities and politics of a generation of Arizona's Hispanic leaders.
      Salazar reluctant to wave Hispanic banner
      By Mike Soraghan
      As he becomes one of the Senate's two Hispanic members, Ken Salazar is going
      to be pushed into a role he is clearly uncomfortable with: a high-profile
      voice for Hispanics nationwide… He may push back, at first. Salazar resists being
      labeled Hispanic in much the same way golfer Tiger Woods dislikes others'
      attempts to identify him with any single racial category… Salazar's might be a
      smart position to take in a state that's 75 percent white and only 17 percent
      Hispanic. Okay, We Lost Ohio. The Question Is, Why?
      By Steve Rosenthal
      When it came to getting out the Democratic vote in Ohio during the
      presidential election, we hit our target numbers. My organization, America Coming
      Together, along with our 32 America Votes partner organizations, the Democratic
      National Committee and the Kerry-Edwards campaign not only exceeded our turnout
      goals for the Buckeye State, but far exceeded anything the Democrats have done
      in the past… And we still lost.
      Mexico names Foreign Minister Luis Ernesto Derbez as its candidate to be
      secretary-general of the Organization of American States
      After consultations across the hemisphere regarding the submission of a
      Mexican candidate for the position of the secretary general of the Organization of
      American States, the government of Mexico has decided upon Luis Ernesto Derbez
      Bautista as the ideal person to strengthen the institution. Victim of Latin
      American Torture Claims Abu Ghraib Abuse was Official US Policy
      By Andrew McLeod
      For many Latin American victims of torture, the infamous pictures of abuse at
      Iraq's Abu Ghraib prison brought back not only chilling recollections of
      their own experiences, but also confirmed what they have long maintained: that
      their torturers were following interrogation guidelines set by the US Army School
      of the Americas (SOA

      (IF YOU WISH TO SUBSCRIBE TO THE WEEKLY DIGEST, PLEASE WRITE TO
      HISPANICVISTACOM@... WRITE SUBSCRIBE ON THE SUBJECT WINDOW.)

      (If you wish to be removed from the Weekly Digest mailing list, please REPLY
      to this message with REMOVE on the Subject window.)

      Patrick Osio, Jr.
      Editor
      PosioJr@...