1/6: Actions Against SENSENBRENNER'S ANTI-IMMIGRANT BILL!

    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 7 4:27 AM
      ALERT: CALL YOUR CONGRESSIONAL REPRESENTATIVE AND TO URGE HIM OR HER NOT TO
      COSPONSOR CHAIRMAN SENSENBRENNER'S BILL.
      National Immigration Law Center
      1108 O'Farrell Street
      Boise, ID 83702
      208-333-1424

      After the intelligence reform bill passed last December without federally
      mandated immigrant driver's license restrictions and other anti-immigrant
      provisions, Chairman Sensenbrenner (R-WI) announced that he would introduce a
      separate bill with these measures in early January 2005. The Chairman's office
      has subsequently decided to wait and introduce the bill when Congress
      reconvenes the week of January 25th. We suspect that the delay is because he would
      like to get more cosponsors on his bill (he claims to have 102 so far).

      Although we don't have a copy of the legislation, we believe he will
      introduce the same House language that was rejected in November, which would have
      precluded states from providing driver's licenses to immigrants who cannot
      prove lawful presence, limited the definition of lawful presence to certain
      immigration categories, and required state driver's licenses issued to
      non-immigrants to expire on or before their visa expiration date. For a summary of the
      House driver's license provisions in the intelligence bill, see
      _http://www.nilc.org/immspbs/DLs/HR10andS2845sidebyside_101404.pdf_
      (http://www.nilc.org/immspbs/DLs/HR10andS2845sidebyside_101404.pdf) .

      Chairman Sensenbrenner's bill will also include other controversial
      measures, one of which would make it more difficult for people to obtain for asylum,
      another that would relax environmental requirements for a fence along the
      U.S.-Mexico border, and a third that would impose tougher deportation rules.

      Please immediately call the Washington DC office of your Representative in
      the U.S. House with the following message (See the attached talking points for
      additional information)

      ¨ I have heard that Chairman Sensenbrenner will introduce an
      anti-immigrant bill in late January and I want to make sure that Representative [your
      Representative] does NOT cosponsor this bill.

      ¨ We need real immigration reform, NOT immigrant driver's license
      restrictions that scapegoat immigrants, drive up insurance rates and make us all
      less safe.

      ¨ I am counting on Representative [your Representative] to stand up to
      the anti-immigrant wing in Congress this year.

      ¨ This issue is very important to immigrants in [your state] and
      Chairman Sensenbrenner's bill will put an enormous burden on the state.

      Before you hang up, ask for a letter from your Representative explaining his
      or her position on federal immigrant driver's license restrictions.

      Prioritization
      If your time is limited, please prioritize those who live in districts
      represented by the Members on the attached Congressional target list.

      ¨ We have targeted Republicans who cosponsored Ag Jobs and DREAM. The
      message to them should be that you appreciate their support on these bills,
      and to be consistent on immigration they should not cosponsor Sensenbrenner's
      bill.

      ¨ We have also targeted Democrats who cosponsored the CLEAR Act. These
      Democrats are vulnerable to cosponsoring Sensenbrenner's bill and so we want
      to pressure them not to.

      ¨ Lastly, we have identified our allies on immigration. We want to
      make sure that they understand that we consider the struggle around immigrant
      access to driver's licenses to be a defining issue.

      Contacting Members of Congress
      ¨ Call the Congressional switchboard at 202-224-3121 and ask for your
      Representative's office.
      ¨ For House members contact information see
      http://www.house.gov/Welcome.shtml.
      ¨ If you don't want to call, you can email most Members from their
      website or fax them a written message.

      Thanks for your help! Please email Tyler at moran@... if you learn
      anything about where your Representative stands on this issue.

      FOR MORE INFORMATION CONTACT:

      Tyler Moran, National Immigration Law Center, moran@..., 208-333-1424
      Joan Friedland, National Immigration Law Center, friedland@...,
      202-216-0261
      Michele Waslin, National Council of la Raza, mwaslin@..., 202-776-1735

      webpage: _http://www.ImmigrantSolidarity.org_
      (http://www.immigrantsolidarity.org/)

      Please consider making a donation to the important work of National
      Immigrant Solidarity Network
      Send check pay to:
      ActionLA/SEE
      1013 Mission St. #6
      South Pasadena CA 91030
      (All donations are tax deductible)

      *to join the immigrant Solidarity Network daily news litserv, send e-mail
      to: isn-subscribe@...

      *a monthly ISN monthly Action Alert! listserv, go to webpage
      http://www.actionla.org/cgi-bin/mojo/mojo.cgi?f=list&l=isn

      *To join Our New Asian American News Wire, send-e-mail to:
      _api-la-subscribe@..._ (mailto:api-la-subscribe@...)