1/5: CCR Appeal-Send a letter to Oppose Gonzales' Nomination!!!

    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 6, 2005
      Send a letter to Oppose Gonzales' Nomination!!!
      Appeal from Center for Constitutional Rights
      Center for Constitutional Rights
      666 Broadway 7th Floor
      NY NY 10012
      Tel: (212) 614-6470
      (mailto:mkrupanski@...)

      Dear Friends,
      President Bush has nominated the architect of his Administration's unlawful
      torture policy to be the next Attorney General. White House Counsel Alberto
      Gonzales's confirmation hearing begins on January 5. Please tell your
      representatives, Tough questions are not enough! and send a message to the Bush
      Administration and the world that the American people do not condone torture.

      _http://www.ccr-ny.org/actionalert_ (http://www.ccr-ny.org/actionalert)

      In his infamous torture memo, Alberto Gonzales called the Geneva Conventions
      "obsolete" and "quaint" and paved the way to the systematic abuse of
      detainees at Guantanamo and Abu Ghraib, many of whom are represented by the Center
      for Constitutional Rights. At CCR, we have seen the terrible effect of his
      policies on human beings first hand. Gonzales and his circle discussed the use
      of specific torture techniques like mock burial and "water boarding," where
      the victim is made to feel that he is drowning, and approved the use of dogs,
      hooding, and extreme sensory deprivation, all forbidden by the Geneva
      Conventions and the International Covenant Against Torture. Experts in interrogation
      have long known that torture elicits false confessions and bad intelligence,
      while Americans can now no longer expect to be protected by the Geneva
      Conventions: the policies devised by Mr. Gonzales have endangered our own troops
      the world over for decades to come.

      In their scathing editorial on the nomination, The Washington Post linked
      Mr. Gonzales directly to the torture at Abu Ghraib and called his legal
      positions "damaging and erroneous." Newsweek wrote that "Gonzales ultimately signed
      off on all of the administration's most controversial legal moves."

      Yet many members of Congress have said they will not oppose Mr. Gonzales's
      nomination, he will only be made to answer tough questions before sailing
      through the confirmation process. We at the Center for Constitutional Rights
      object to giving an architect of torture a promotion. We reiterate, tough
      questions are not enough. Please ask your Senators, Representatives and the members
      of the Senate Judiciary Committee to stand up and oppose the nomination of
      Alberto Gonzales for Attorney General. We hope you will join us in declaring
      that this man and his policies do not represent our American values!

      To send a letter, click here (or paste _http://www.ccr-ny.org/actionalert_
      (http://www.ccr-ny.org/actionalert) into your browser). Please circulate this
      letter widely and quickly- the hearings begin the first week of the New Year!

      Sincerely yours,

      Ron Daniels
      Executive Director
      Center for Constitutional Rights

      webpage: _http://www.ImmigrantSolidarity.org_
      (http://www.immigrantsolidarity.org/)

      Please consider making a donation to the important work of National
      Immigrant Solidarity Network
      Send check pay to:
      ActionLA/SEE
      1013 Mission St. #6
      South Pasadena CA 91030
      (All donations are tax deductible)

      *to join the immigrant Solidarity Network daily news litserv, send e-mail
      to: isn-subscribe@...

      *a monthly ISN monthly Action Alert! listserv, go to webpage
      http://www.actionla.org/cgi-bin/mojo/mojo.cgi?f=list&l=isn