1/4 DREAM Campaign update

    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 4, 2005
      DREAM Campaign update
      From: harroyo@...
      January 4, 3004

      Late 2004, the DREAM Team Coalition organized the 2-week DREAM Fast Vigil
      aimed at showing commitment and urgency to the issue of higher education for
      undocumented students. Although we were successful in giving the DREAM Act
      momentum and support in the Senate, the congressional session came at close
      within a few days after DREAM Fast Vigil in September and the DREAM Act's
      attachment to the Department of Justice bill (S.2863)

      In December 2004, members of the DREAM Team coalition discussed and
      evaluated our efforts and strategies to pass the DREAM Act and are in the process of
      making recommendations for 2005. In the next few months, this group of
      commitment organizations will focus on reintroducing the DREAM Act bill in this
      new congressional session and regaining the Congressional support from last
      year.

      One of the ongoing strategies since the start of the DREAM Campaign in 2002
      has always been the push for Republican support for the bill. For this
      reason, the DREAM Team coalition last year helped mobilize students and community
      members in Orange County to create the O.C. DREAM Team Coalition helping us
      pressure elected officials in this county and educating their communities.

      How you can help:
      Get in touch with your Senators and members of the House of Representatives
      and make it clear that you are still waiting action on the DREAM Act and
      Student Adjustment Act. Contact us for more information.

      If possible, contact us to help coordinate a student delegation for
      Legislative Visits in your district where we can personally express our support and
      demands for the campaign.

      Educate your peers, family, and community on this issue and ask for their
      support in the 2005 ongoing efforts to pass the DREAM Act.

      Document your personal testimony and share it with our organization so that
      we can present actual stories of students who would be impacted by this
      legislation. Contact us for more information.

      If you wish to get more actively involved with CHIRLA and our youth group
      component Wise Up!, please contact us.

      On behalf of the Coalition for Humane Immigrant Rights of Los Angeles
      (CHIRLA), we thank you for your support and continued commitment to this issue.

      -Horacio Arroyo
      harroyo@...

      webpage: _http://www.ImmigrantSolidarity.org_
      (http://www.immigrantsolidarity.org/)

      Please consider making a donation to the important work of National
      Immigrant Solidarity Network
      Send check pay to:
      ActionLA/SEE
      1013 Mission St. #6
      South Pasadena CA 91030
      (All donations are tax deductible)

      *to join the immigrant Solidarity Network daily news litserv, send e-mail
      to: isn-subscribe@...

      *a monthly ISN monthly Action Alert! listserv, go to webpage
      http://www.actionla.org/cgi-bin/mojo/mojo.cgi?f=list&l=isn