11/26: SF Prop F defeat!

    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 26, 2004
      SF Prop F defeat!
      From: antiracistaction_la@...
      November 26, 2004

      thanks. unfortunately we could have won in sf on Nov. 2nd with a better run
      campaign for immigrant voting rights but we lost by a few thousand votes or
      1-2% of the vote]. I think if we had a better run field campaign and raised
      a little more money to counter the opposition we would have won. Turnout
      was strong [74%] but the No on F propaganda [SF Chronicle and big business
      groups] was just too much to overcome by our fledgling campaign. In
      addition, perhaps it is still just too close to 911 to win proactive
      immigrant rights campaigns at the ballot box.

      Nov 2004 SF vote - MEASURE F
      NO. . . . . . . . . . . . . 164,609 51.44
      YES . . . . . . . . . . . . 155,373 48.56

      Big business groups under the guise of 'SFSOS' and individuals like Don
      Fisher [founder and former CEO of the GAP and Old Navy] kicked in lots of
      $$$ to defeat F. Sen. Diane Feinstein and others were also central in
      creating an anti-immigrant climate to mislead voters about Prop F's impact
      as well.
      We fought them at every level and successfully won a unanimous vote at our
      school board in support of Prop F just a few weeks before Nov. 2nd but it
      wasn't enough.
      i am sure after we have done a full assessment of our campaign we will
      share it with folks in the movement.
      i am attaching our school board resolution which passed unanimously in late
      september.
      and here is a link to some press coverage and our campaign website -
      http://www.sfexaminer.com/article/index.cfm/i/092904n_vote
      www.voice4parents.com

      eric

      Adopted, As Amended, by the Board of Education at its Regular Meeting of
      September 28, 2004

      Subject: Resolution No. 48-10A10

      Resolution In Support of Proposition F, the Campaign to Allow

      Immigrant Parents to Vote in San Francisco School Board

      Elections, a Charter Amendment on the November 2004 Ballot

      - Commissioners Mark Sanchez, Eric Mar, and Sarah Lipson

      WHEREAS: 37% of San Francisco residents (approximately 285,500 people) are
      immigrants; and

      WHEREAS: Although there are no accurate numbers of how many non-citizens
      have children enrolled in San Francisco’s public schools, approximately 30%
      of SFUSD’s students are English learners; and

      WHEREAS: Citizenship has not always been required for the right to vote in
      the United States. For a 150 year period in our nation’s history,
      immigrants could vote. 22 states and territories allowed immigrants to vote
      and even to hold political office during the 19th century and the first
      three decades of the 20th century until the anti-immigrant backlash
      following World War I; and

      WHEREAS: Over the last 25 years, U.S. jurisdictions in the states of
      Maryland, New York, Illinois and Massachusetts have permitted non-citizen
      voting rights. For example, in New York City, before Mayor Michael
      Bloomberg dissolved the school councils in 2002, non-citizens voted in
      school elections for 25 years; and

      WHEREAS: The unfortunate effect of these separate local school board
      elections on school board governance was to severely suppress citizen
      voting participation in school board elections, reduce support for school
      measures and contribute to the erosion of democratic governance in New York
      City where there is currently no Board of Education; and

      WHEREAS: Non-citizen voting is common practice in other nations, with 23
      countries allowing some form of non-citizen voting, including Belize,
      Canada, Denmark, Spain and the United Kingdom; and

      WHEREAS: Immigrants who want to become citizens face enormous bureaucratic
      challenges, waiting an average of 10 years to go through the process to
      become citizens; and

      Resolution No. 48-10A10

      Resolution In Support of Proposition F, the Campaign to Allow Immigrant
      Parents to Vote in San Francisco School Board Elections, a Charter
      Amendment on the November 2004 Ballot – Sanchez, Mar, Lipson Page 2

      WHEREAS: Following the 9/11 attacks, backlogs in waiting times have
      dramatically increased for those waiting to become citizens. From 2002 to
      2003 the processing times for (1) family-based petitions doubled, (2)
      applications to replace green cards doubled, and (3) naturalization
      applications increased by 40%. Adjustment-of-status application backlogs
      are at an all-time high, with 1.24 million cases at the end of 2003; and

      WHEREAS: The constitutional question of the link between citizenship and
      voting in school board elections in California has not been adjudicated; and

      WHEREAS: This waiting time for many non-citizen parents lasts the duration
      of their children’s tenure in public schools; and

      WHEREAS: Immigrant parents’ children, many of whom themselves are citizens,
      benefit with more participation in the democratic process; and

      WHEREAS: Immigrant households in the United States paid an estimated

      $133 billion in taxes to federal, state and local governments -- from
      property, sales and income taxes (Cato Institute, 1997); and

      WHEREAS: Immigrants have fought in every major American war and have at
      times been subject to the draft. Currently, more than 37,000 non-citizens
      serve in the U.S. Armed Forces; and

      WHEREAS: A super-majority of the San Francisco Board of Supervisors support
      President Matt Gonzalez’ proposal to allow non-citizen San Francisco
      parents or guardians with students in public schools to participate in the
      vote for those who serve on the San Francisco Board of Education; and

      WHEREAS: The voting rights measure, Proposition F, is on the November 2,
      2004, ballot as an amendment to the City and County of San Francisco’s
      charter, and, if passed, the measure would apply for just two election
      cycles--thereafter, the Board of Supervisors would review its efficacy; and

      WHEREAS: Many immigrant and civil rights organizations like La Raza Central
      Legal, Chinese for Affirmative Action, Bay Area Immigrant Rights Coalition,
      Interfaith Coalition for Immigrant Rights, Northern California Citizenship
      Project have worked locally for decades to improve the status of immigrants
      and to promote increased participation in our democracy.

      Resolution No. 48-10A10

      Resolution In Support of Proposition F, the Campaign to Allow Immigrant
      Parents to Vote in San Francisco School Board Elections, a Charter
      Amendment on the November 2004 Ballot - Sanchez, Mar, Lipson Page 3

      THEREFORE BE IT RESOLVED: That the San Francisco Board of Education
      supports the November 2004 charter amendment to allow non-citizen parents
      and guardians with students in SFUSD to vote in San Francisco Board of
      Education elections; and

      FURTHER BE IT RESOLVED: That the Board of Education is interested in the
      outcome of any constitutional debates related to citizenship and voting and
      wishes to be informed of the progress of such actions; and

      BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED: That the Board of Education is committed to
      maintaining and enhancing a high level of participation in School Board
      elections by all eligible voters and opposes any implementation of Prop F
      that would separate the School Board election from regular ballots and
      regular elections and therefore calls on the Board of Supervisors and the
      Department of Elections to implement Prop F., should it pass in November,
      without removing School Board elections from regular general elections or
      from regular ballots, and

      FURTHER BE IT RESOLVED: That if Prop F is passed by the voters and found to
      be constitutional, the Board of Education urges the Board of Supervisors to
      consider measures that would allow non-citizen residents of San Francisco
      to vote in all local elections.

      8/10/04

      9/14/04

      9/28/04

      Please Note:

      À¾ Referred on 8/10/04 to the Rules, Policy, and Legislation Committee by
      order of the Chair.

      À¾ Taken up by the Rules, Policy, and Legislation Committee on 9/1/04.
      Positive recommendation, as amended, to the Board of Education by a vote on
      2 ayes, l nay ). New language in bold, italics, underscored.

      À¾ Postponed on 9/14/04 by action of the Board of Education to be heard at
      the meeting of 9/28/04.

      À¾ Adopted, as amended, on 9/28/04.

      ActionLA
      Action for World Liberation Everyday!