HispanicVista Weekly Digest - COLUMNISTS&GUEST COLUMNS

  • EditorialOpinion@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 1, 2004
      HispanicVista.com Weekly Digest
      COLUMNIST & GUEST COLUMNS
      http://www.hispanicvista.com/

      HispanicVista Columnists - November 1st, 2004 Guest Columns - November 1st,
      2004
      The Latino Vote: Historical AnalysisNCLR Denounces UnAmerican Actions of
      Anti-Immigrant Groups
      By John P. Schmal
      … The Fifteenth Amendment of the Constitution of the United States, ratified
      in 1870, promised that “the rights of citizens of the United States to vote
      shall not be denied or abridged by the United States or by any state on account
      of race, color, or previous condition of servitude.” In theory this amendment
      gave Mexican Americans, African Americans, Asian immigrants, and other
      minorities a voice in both local and national politics. By Raul Yzaguirre, NCLR
      For years, anti-immigrant organizations have tried to characterize
      immigrants, especially Hispanic immigrants, as "anti-American" and as people "who refuse
      to assimilate." In a direct repudiation of this disinformation campaign,
      eligible Hispanics and immigrants have been registering to vote in record numbers
      throughout the country.
      Inhumane solutions to illegal immigration are not the American way.How about
      'just the facts'?
      By Patrick Osio, Jr.
      “We need to give Mexico a little tough love. If they don't like the necessary
      measures, it is time for cruise missiles to visit Vicente Fox's ranch. This
      should get his attention. If that fails, the next step is invasion and
      occupation,” wrote Donald E. Pauley in an article entitled “Tough Love for Mexico.”
      And his idea of tough love goes further, “A "shoot to kill on sight" policy
      should be instituted for illegal border crossers… By Richard Gonzales
      Texas tall tales abound when it comes to fighting crime. Notions on how to
      reduce criminality have held political sway in the Lone Star State too long over
      scientific studies of "what works." …Politicians, who should know better,
      have pandered to fears that crime runs amok in the streets. The results are
      counterproductive "get-tough" policies that exacerbate crime, break up families and
      cost taxpayers billions.
      Too Late –everybody has already votedToday is my wife's birthday. Here name
      is Laura.
      By Erika Robles
      The country is currently more divided than ever before. On one hand we have
      Pro-Bush citizens and on the other one Anti-Bush ones. It is sad to realize
      that most of those Anti-Bush citizens are not necessarily Pro-Kerry, but they
      would vote for Kerry with the mere purpose of getting Bush out of office. By
      Pedro Celis, Ph. D.
      Her birthday and the comments by Teresa Heinz-Kerry on another Laura, Laura
      Bush, got me reflecting on the impact job that is being a wife and a mother.
      After my wife and I got engineering degrees in Mexico we moved to Canada to
      study graduate programs in Computer Science. During...
      Medical Care in English PlusGUEST COLUMN - SPANISH
      By Domenico Maceri
      The Cantonese-speaking woman experienced vaginal bleeding and went to the
      emergency room of an Alameda County Hospital in California. Unable to explain her
      medical condition because she did not speak English and the staff did not
      speak Cantonese, she was sent home. Four days later, she was back at the same
      emergency room and miscarried.Los MIGRANTES seguirán siendo tema de discusión
      Por Tere Quezada
      Que sí Bush o que sí Kerry. A la Unión Americana le conviene Kerry, al mundo
      le conviene Bush. Ciertamente el mundo está mejor sin Sadam, pero no es el
      tema. ¿A los mexicanos cual conviene más? Ninguno.
      A Trip To Tierra Del GringoMexican Government Provides Legal Training for the
      45 Consular Protection Offices in the United States
      By Richard N. Baldwin T.
      It isn't that often that I find myself up north of the border. And after
      spending more than a decade in México, I find my old country a little strange.
      You get used to the ways that things are in the country that you live… By
      Bernardo Mendez Lugo,
      Consul of Mexico in San Francisco
      As part of the on-going courses given to the members of the Mexican Foreign
      Service, the third training seminar in consular protection took place in
      Dallas, Texas hosted by the Mexican Consulate General in Dallas. 20 of the 45
      Mexican consular offices in the USA are located in California and Texas.
      Four More YearsReflections On Teaching in East Los Angeles: My student's
      reactions to the movie Boulevard Nights
      By Gary Mendoza
      Because of President Bush’s leadership, America has successfully made its way
      through a very difficult four years. America is now on offense against
      terrorist enemies who had been unilaterally waging their war against us for more
      than a decade, and our economy has rebounded from the September 11 attacks and
      the recession President Bush inherited. By Howard Shorr
      This year marks the 25th anniversary of the film “Boulevard Nights”. In
      1979, I was teaching at Theodore Roosevelt High School in the Boyle Heights
      community in East Los Angeles. In this essay, I discuss my student’s reactions to
      the film, place Boyle Heights/East Los Angeles in a historical context and my
      teaching methods.
      American or Mexican?You’re a Republican???
      By Raoul Lowery Contreras
      Nothing is more surprising to this writer than the lack of knowledge of
      American history by Americans or by Americans of all kinds, including Mexican
      -Americans of Mexico’s history… One can understand that Americans would not have
      much knowledge about Mexico, but one finds it hard to understand that Mexican
      Americans have little knowledge of Mexico and even less of the country of their
      citizenship, the U.S.A. By George J. Esseff, Sr.
      In today’s America, ask a growing number of high school and college students;
      their teachers and professors; the self-anointed media elite and/or hard
      working men and women of all ethnicities, the question, “What is a Republican?”
      and you’ll be told “…
      Patrick Osio, Jr. has written a short but intensive manual on the Mexican
      perspective on numerous issues between our two countries. The manual is an in
      depth primer on the culture and protocol for better understanding Mexicans that
      in turn allows establishing personal and business relationships, and how to
      avoid the most common faux pas that can ruin relationships and business deals.
      About the author
      Table of Contents
      Excerpts from the manual
      The manual is available through Electronic delivery for $9.95 making it
      possible to download the manual to save on your hard drive, printing its entirety
      or particular sections while reaping considerable savings over printed copies.

      Who will be the next leader of the Organization of American States?
      Council on Hemispheric Affairs
      • A battle has broken out in the race for the next Secretary General of the
      Organization of American States (OAS) after the recently elected Miguel Angel
      Rodríguez resigned from his post on October 15. He stepped down as Secretary
      General after a scandal broke loose four weeks ago involving a bribe he accepted
      while he was President of Costa Rica.
      Celebrating Hispanic Heritage
      every day of the year.

      (IF YOU WISH TO SUBSCRIBE TO THE WEEKLY DIGEST, PLEASE WRITE TO
      HISPANICVISTACOM@... WRITE SUBSCRIBE ON THE SUBJECT WINDOW.)

      (If you wish to be removed from the Weekly Digest mailing list, please REPLY
      to this message with REMOVE on the Subject window.)

      Patrick Osio, Jr.
      Editor
      PosioJr@...