Anti-FTAA Resolution from Local 21, IFPTE

    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 1, 2001
      (stop-ftaa) Anti-FTAA Resolution from Local 21, IFPTE
      Date: 3/1/01 12:49:18 AM Pacific Standard Time
      From:    ssolnit@... (Steve Solnit)

      My union, IFPTE Local 2,  passed the following resolution against the
      FTAA last week. Local 21 represents nearly 6000 public sector workers in
      the Bay Area.

      - Steve

      * * *

      International Federation of Professional and Technical Engineers, Local 21
      San Francisco, California

      Resolution on the Free Trade Area of the Americas
      Adopted by Local 21's Executive Committee on Feb. 22, 2001

      The Free Trade Area of the Americas (FTAA) is an initiative to create a
      free trade and investment zone covering the 34 nations in the North
      America, South America and the Caribbean, excluding Cuba. It would
      remove most remaining limits on the movement of money, goods and
      services and liberalize investment rules. The FTAA initiative was
      launched at the Summit of the Americas in 1994 and is slated to be in
      place no later than 2005. The next round of negotiations of the FTAA is
      on April 18-22, 2001 where representatives from the 34 countries in will
      meet in Quebec City, Canada.

      The FTAA is closely modeled on NAFTA. The negative effects of NAFTA's
      free trade policies on workers are already well established. NAFTA has
      failed to produce significant economic benefits while eliminating jobs
      and reducing real wages. The U.S. Labor Dept. has certified over 300,000
      people under one very restrictive program as having lost their jobs
      because of the agreement, though this represents only the tip of the
      iceberg. NAFTA has not generated new jobs to replace those it took away.
      Most of the displaced workers lost high-paying industrial jobs and are
      now working for low-wage service jobs. Likewise, in Mexico NAFTA has
      pushed huge numbers of workers into the informal sector, working less
      than the minimum wage without benefits. In its first three years, the
      purchasing power of the minimum wage in Mexico dropped by 24%.

      NAFTA attempted to quell opposition by adding last minute "side
      agreements" on labor and the environment. These side agreements do not
      accord labor and environmental concerns the same standing as trade and
      investment, and in practice they have proven to be all but
      unenforceable. But the FTAA will not even have side agreements on labor
      and the environment.

      These trade rules would dramatically increase the power of multinational
      corporations to exploit low-wage labor, lax environmental laws,
      privatization and opportunities for speculation while protecting them
      from any form of accountability.

      Like NAFTA the FTAA goes beyond legitimate trade issues. It seeks to
      undermine national sovereignty, subordinating democratically enacted
      environmental, public health and food safety laws in the 34 nations to a
      set of trade rules devised in secret by an unelected body in collusion
      with global corporations. The negotiating process is undemocratic and
      excludes any representation of society, and just months before the
      Quebec meeting, the draft agreement the trade representatives will be
      ratifying is still secret.

      THEREFORE, IT IS RESOLVED BY LOCAL 21 OF THE INTERNATIONAL FEDERATION OF
      PROFESSIONAL AND TECHNICAL ENGINEERS THAT

      1. We call on the U.S. government's trade representatives to reject the
      FTAA in Quebec and subsequent meetings because its goals and negotiating
      framework are fundamentally flawed.

      2. We call on Congress to reject the administration's request for fast
      track authority to approve the FTAA without a full debate.

      3. We support the efforts to organize protests against the April FTAA
      meeting and encourage our members to participate.

      4. Trade and investment should not be ends in themselves, but rather the
      instruments for achieving just and sustainable development. In any
      hemispheric agreement, citizens must have the right to participate in
      the formulation, implementation and evaluation of social and economic
      policies. The core goals of such an agreement should be to promote
      economic sovereignty, social welfare and reduced inequality at all levels.

      5. Any hemispheric agreement must include a requirement to respect
      workers' fundamental rights as defined by the seven core Conventions of
      the ILO:

      ? Conventions 29 and 105 on the abolition of forced labor.
      ? Conventions 87 and 98 on the rights to freedom of association, to
      collective bargaining, and to trade union action including the right to
      elect trade union representatives without employer or government
      interference, and the right to strike.
      ? Conventions 100 and 111 on equal pay for work of equal value and on
      the prevention of discrimination in the work place.
      ? Convention 138 on the minimum working age (i.e., prevention of child
      labor)

      Monitoring of the workers' rights provisions should be delegated to the
      ILO. In addition, the agreement must provide an effective enforcement
      mechanism.

      6. We instruct our delegates to support a similar resolution at the San
      Francisco Central Labor Council.

      7. We instruct our delegates to introduce and support this resolution at
      the next annual convention of the IFPTE, adapting it as appropriate.