Patching up the border....???

  • Al Soto
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 4 3:09 PM
      Date: Fri, 03 Sep 2004 11:40:50 -0700
      From: dorindamoreno <dorindamoreno@...>
      Subject: Re: "still patching up the border"

      Still patching the border

      New deportation policy is another stopgap effort at better control.

      (Updated Friday, September 3, 2004, 5:40 AM)

      <http://fresnobee.com/cgi-bin/mailastory/mailastory.cgi?http://www.fresnobee.com/opinion/v-printerfriendly/story/9086915p-9986602c.html>
      E-mail This Article
      <http://fresnobee.com/cgi-bin/mailastory/mailastory.cgi?http://www.fresnobee.com/opinion/v-printerfriendly/story/9086915p-9986602c.html>

      <http://www.fresnobee.com/opinion/v-printerfriendly/story/9086915p-9986602c.html>
      Printer-Friendly Format
      <http://www.fresnobee.com/opinion/v-printerfriendly/story/9086915p-9986602c.html>

      <http://www.fresnobee.com/now/v-z_CodeBlue/> Receive the Daily
      Bulletin <http://www.fresnobee.com/now/v-z_CodeBlue/>
      <https://ecom.fresnobee.com/circsales/> Subscribe to Print
      <https://ecom.fresnobee.com/circsales/>
      <http://forums.centralvalley.com> Join a Forum
      <http://forums.centralvalley.com>

      Since no one has yet come up with a workable plan to secure U.S.
      borders, it's not surprising that even the shock of the Sept. 11
      terrorist attacks has not produced a real solution. Instead, the
      government has stitched together a patchwork of measures to make it
      harder for both undocumented migrants and potential terrorists to get
      into this country. Some may help, but others have angered civil
      libertarians, made foreign visitors feel unwelcome and still left
      troubling gaps.

      Tighter restrictions on foreigners seeking to work or study here,
      scrutiny of men from certain countries, deportation of foreigners for
      minor immigration law violations and other measures have been taken.
      U.S. officials have also tried to show a friendlier face, for example
      by
      letting Mexican visitors stay longer and overlooking minor past
      violations -- usually overstaying a visa -- by visitors from certain
      countries who in the past have often been handcuffed and hustled out of
      the country on the next plane.

      Given the thousands of miles of border, and the tension between the
      desire for security and to preserve civil liberties, steps toward a
      solution have been piecemeal. Take, for example, the recent extension
      areas near U.S. land borders of a program -- called "expedited removal"
      -- that's been in force since 1997 at airports and seaports. It
      empowers
      immigration officers to order apprehended illegal migrants deported
      immediately and barred for five years from entering this country. Only
      those who specifically ask for asylum will be allowed to see an
      immigration judge.

      The idea is to save money by sharply reducing the number of detainees
      held, often for months, before a hearing, and to prevent those granted
      bail pending a hearing from going into hiding, as about 90% of those
      freed do, to avoid deportation. (The program will not apply to Mexicans
      and Canadians.)

      Trial runs have begun in Laredo, Texas, and Tucson, Ariz. But studies
      by
      the U.S. General Accounting Office and the United Nations refugee
      agency
      have found numerous instances of airport immigration personnel
      intimidating illegal migrants and ignoring asylum requests, complaints
      echoed by legal, religious and human rights groups.

      Customs and Border Protection Commissioner Robert Bonner calls
      expedited
      removal "an important tool ... to break the cycle of illegal migration
      and ... to protect our country against the terrorist threat." Less
      tactfully, Peter Duignan of the Hoover Institution has said that since
      those in question are illegal immigrants, "I have no concern about
      their
      rights being abused."

      Expedited removal, done with proper safeguards, is justified in
      principle and might help to reduce the backlog of pending cases. But
      given the patchwork nature of U.S. border security, the indifference of
      too many Americans to due process, and documented cases of aliens and
      even U.S. citizens being mistreated, it may be just an expedient way to
      be seen as solving a problem still in search of a solution.

      IWAPGH@... wrote:

      > there is a good editioral on the fresno bee today 9/3/04 can't get it
      > all... you can try
      >
      > Opinion: Editorial Still patching the border
      > <http://www.fresnobee.com/opinion/story/9086915p-9986602c.html>
      > Since no one has yet come up with a workable plan to secure U.S.
      > borders, it's not surprising that even the shock of the Sept. 11
      > terrorist attacks has not produced a real solution. Instead, the
      > government has stitched together a patchwork of measures to make it
      > harder for both undocumented migrants and potential terrorists to get
      > into this country. Some may help, but others have angered civil
      > libertarians, made foreign visitors feel unwelcome and still left
      > troubling gaps.

      The news is to be reported not to sway opinion. No more melodrama of constant entertainment trivia on news time. The founding fathers knew that government is always corrupt, that is why they gave us civil liberties. The people must lead to survive corrupt governments. Read the constitution. (In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, this includes information for research and educational purposes.) Al Soto (c) 2004