August 27 New York City Immigrant Workers Speak Out! Planning Meeting & Flyers

    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 16, 2004
      August 27 New York City Immigrant Workers Day of Action and Speak Out!
      First of the week-long Counter RNC Mobilization in New York City
      Friday, August 27 4:00 AM - 10:00 PM
      St. Mark Church 131 E. 10th St., New York
      (cross the street with 2nd Avenue)
      Web: http://www.ImmigrantSolidarity.org
      Information Hotline: (212)330-8172
      Sponsered by National Immigrant Solidarity Network

      Media Contact: Lee Siu Hin e-mail: siuhin@... tel: (626)695-3405

      1) Please come to our next important August 27 Speak Out! planning meeting

      Wednesday, August 18 5:00 PM to 7:00 PM at
      Center for Constitutional Rights Office
      666 Broadway 6th Fl.
      New York, NY 10012

      2) August 27 Call to Action! General Information:

      3) Initial Schedule, Guideline:
      http://immigrantsolidarity.org/RNC/index.htm

      4) Flyers:
      English Flyer: http://immigrantsolidarity.org/Flyers/08.27.04_v03.pdf

      Spanish Flyer: http://immigrantsolidarity.org/Flyers/08.27.04_esp_01.pdf

      Chinese Flyer: http://immigrantsolidarity.org/Flyers/08.27.04_Chinese_01.pdf

      Korean Flyer: http://immigrantsolidarity.org/Flyers/08.27.04_Korean_01.pdf

      Call to Action!

      We are a nation of immigrant populations. The groups working together for
      this event include national and local organizations founded to work for civil
      justice and civil liberties. National Immigrant Solidarity Network ActionLA,
      Center for Constitutional Rights, Million Workers March, Student Peace Action
      Network, APALA-LA, Kensington Welfare Rights Union, Still We Rise Coalition,
      Nicaragua Network and many other human rights, labor and immigrant organizations.

      Friday August 27, the day before the RNC Mobilization in New York City we
      call for a day of immigrant workers and community activists to put minds together
      and declare: No Immigrant Bashing! Support Immigrant Rights! No To
      Sweatshops! End The Racism On The Community!

      Background Information
      National Immigrant Solidarity Network and community, immigrant, human rights
      and student activist organizations will come together to call August 27 The
      Immigrant Worker Day of Action and Speak Out as a part of upcoming counter
      Republican National Convention Mobilization at New York City, August 29 to
      September 2.

      We hope the Speak Out! can achieve a bourgeoning unity among community
      activists for a campaign strategy on immigrant-labor issues. We need to strengthen
      the anti-sweatshop campaigns, and the fight against racism. We will further the
      understanding on how to build a sustainable community campaign for the
      alternative to state and corporate causing poverty and refugees.

      We want people and organizations participating in the Speak Out! help build
      the national structure for national campaign strategies.

      We also hope the Speak Out! can be a model for the anti-globalization
      movement by creating a the new direction for joining international campaigns with
      community campaigns, to work with immigrant and student-labor organizations to
      support domestic immigrant rights campaigns from Mexico, Central and South
      Americas; and to link local issues to the anti-sweatshops and anti-globalization
      movements.

      We will take back our communities.

      Initial Schedule for the August 27 Immigrant Workers Speak Out!
      Time: 4:00 PM - 10:00 PM
      4:00 PM - 5:00 PM setup, welcoming people, pre-discussion gathering (just
      people who come early to create a space to talk)
      5:00 PM opening ceremony, introduction to the Speak Out!
      5:00 PM - 8:00 PM Expose (tabling and cultural performance)
      8:00 PM - 9:15 PM Break out sections (workshops and meetings)
      9:15 PM - 9:45 PM Report back and Closing ceremony
      9:45 PM - 10:15 PM clean up

      5) Initial confirmed and suggest workshops/meetings:
      - Immigration Reform/Non-citizen Voting
      - Can we get along?
      - Poor people Economic Agenda/Farm Workers
      - Immigrants and Sweatshops

      ***Please consider making a donation to the important work of the ActionLA
      Coalition, National Immigrant Solidarity Network and US-Mexico Border Actions
      Send check pay to:
      ActionLA/SEE
      1013 Mission St. #6
      South Pasadena CA 91030
      (All donations are tax deductible)

      *to join the immigrant Solidarity Network daily-news litserv, send e-mail to:
      isn-subscribe@...

      *a monthly ISN monthly Action Alert! listserv, go to webpage
      http://www.actionla.org/cgi-bin/mojo/mojo.cgi?f=list&l=isn

      *National Immigrant Solidarity Network is the part of the ActionLA Coalition
      and US-Mexico Border Actions Project

      US-Mexico Border Actions
      No Militarization of Borders! Support Immigrant Rights!
      e-mail: borderactions@...

      *to join the US-Mexico Border Information Bulletin, send e-mail to:
      Border01-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

      ActionLA
      e-mail: Info@...

      To join our ActionLA Listserv