National Week of Immigrant Action September 20-26

    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 12, 2004
      National Week of Immigrant Action September 20-26
      Shoba Sivaprasad, Esq.
      Senior Policy Associate
      National Immigration Forum
      50 F. Street, NW, Suite 300
      Washington, D.C. 20001
      e-mail: ssivaprasad@...
      Friends,
      Thanks for joining us on the nationwide conference call on Thursday, August
      5th where 100+ colleagues from dozens and dozens of cities talked collectively
      about how to bring to life a “National Week of Action.” It was a historic
      and energizing call that shows the breadth and depth of our communities and that
      our work has no bounds! As promised on the call, below are follow-up
      information and a description of how your work can be supported and strengthened by
      joining this collective effort.
      WHAT IS THE WEEK OF ACTION?
      The idea for the Week of Action (the week of September 20th -- and the days
      and weeks before and after) is to lift up the work that people are already
      doing around the country and to focus nationwide attention on that work during a
      period of time in September. If you are already planning actions and events
      around the week of September 20-26, we hope that the Week of Action will give it
      more visibility and allow you to tell communities and the general public that
      your action is part of a nationwide movement.
      WHY THIS WEEK IN SEPTEMBER?
      It is the one-year anniversary of the Immigrant Worker Freedom Ride and it is
      just before Congress recesses, giving us a chance to press hard and push
      AgJOBS and DREAM Act over the finish line and into law! Also, it is about 6 weeks
      before the election, an election in which our communities and issues could
      prove decisive.
      WHAT ISSUES ARE THE FOCUS OF THE WEEK OF ACTION?
      The “Week of Action” can highlight the range of issues immigrant advocates
      are working on around the country, but its common theme are three short-term
      legislative priorities and two longer-term priorities of great significance to
      immigration advocates. The short-term agenda we are promoting is the passage
      of AgJOBS and the DREAM Act, and stopping the CLEAR Act. The longer-term
      agenda is the passage of the Civil Liberties Restoration Act (CLRA) and the Safe,
      Orderly, Legal Visas and Enforcement (SOLVE) Act. Again, other issues you are
      working on can be folded into your events as part of the Week of Action.
      HOW CAN I PLUG IN?
      To support and magnify your activities during the Week of Action, national
      groups have divided into two committees (Local Events and DC Lobby Day) that
      will assist you in planning and execution—whether you want to organize press
      conferences, community events, or Congressional visits at home or come to DC to do
      Congressional lobbying. A third committee, Communications, will assist with
      message strategy and will organize a DC-based press conference during the Week
      of Action.
      In order to plug in to the committees, please email the committee you are
      interested in (info below). Points of contact from each committee will follow-up
      with you in the coming days.
      Please note that the Local Events committee has its first call planned for
      August 18th at 4 pm (East Coast time)—details below.
      Local Events Committee: Will provide support and coordination to
      organizations that are planning events locally (including public hearings and events,
      press conferences, and Congressional visits at home). They will be compiling
      information on the cities and leaders that are organizing local events and will
      ensure that your events are promoted on the New American Opportunity Campaign
      website (http://www.newamericanopportunitycampaign.org/pages/1/index.htm).
      Contacts: Kate Shaughnessy, Coalition for Comprehensive Immigration Reform
      (CCIR) at 612-384-9609 or Reva Gupta (CCIR) at 202-530-4699. To receive
      information and support from this committee, please send an email with your name and
      organization to: localevents@....

      This Committee’s first conference call will take place on Wednesday, August
      18th at 4 pm (East Coast time). To participate, call 1-800-416-4956 and the
      code is 04531957#. On this call you can share ideas, discuss events, and
      coordinate with other folks that are in your area.
      DC Lobby Day Committee: Tuesday, September 21st is the Washington, DC Lobby
      Day for the National Week of Action. This committee will be coordinating
      lobbying visits for those who choose to come to DC, including providing materials,
      orientation, and team leaders for the day. While plans are still in
      formation, we are planning an orientation and reception the evening of September 20th,
      and possibly a reception the evening of September 21st. Folks who come in
      will be responsible for their transportation and travel costs.
      Contact: Michele Waslin, National Council of La Raza at 202-776-1735. To
      receive information and support from this committee, please send an email with
      your name and organization to lobbyday@....
      In the coming weeks we will be providing basic talking points about the Week
      of Action, “message boxes” on the range of legislative issues, and other
      materials from the Communications committee. In the meantime, if you have any
      media or communications questions please contact Douglas Rivlin or Vanessa
      Cardenas of the National Immigration Forum at 202-347-0040 or send an email to
      media@....
      If you have general questions that do not fall under the categories outlined
      above, please contact the Coalition for Comprehensive Immigration Reform
      (CCIR) at 202.530.4720.
      PROMOTING YOUR GREAT WORK
      We are very eager to know your plans for the Week of Action and want to help
      amplify and publicize your work. To accomplish this, we ask that you go to
      the following website:
      http://www.newamericanopportunitycampaign.org/pages/5/index.htm and fill out the form with some basic information about your group’s
      efforts. In the coming weeks you will soon see your work listed, along with
      that of other colleagues. We will make every effort to keep these events current
      and complete, but we need your help. So please let us know as soon as you
      know your plans!

      August 27 Immigrant Workers Day of Action and Speak Out!
      First of the week-long Counter RNC Mobilization in New York City
      Friday, August 27 4:00 AM - 10:00 PM
      New York City, NY
      Web: http://www.ImmigrantSolidarity.org
      Information Hotline: (212)330-8172
      Sponsered by National Immigrant Solidarity Network

      ***Please consider making a donation to the important work of the ActionLA
      Coalition, National Immigrant Solidarity Network and US-Mexico Border Actions
      Send check pay to:
      ActionLA/SEE
      1013 Mission St. #6
      South Pasadena CA 91030
      (All donations are tax deductible)

      *to join the immigrant Solidarity Network daily-news litserv, send e-mail to:
      isn-subscribe@...

      *a monthly ISN monthly Action Alert! listserv, go to webpage
      http://www.actionla.org/cgi-bin/mojo/mojo.cgi?f=list&l=isn

      *National Immigrant Solidarity Network is the part of the ActionLA Coalition
      and US-Mexico Border Actions Project

      US-Mexico Border Actions
      No Militarization of Borders! Support Immigrant Rights!
      e-mail: borderactions@...

      *to join the US-Mexico Border Information Bulletin, send e-mail to:
      Border01-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

      ActionLA
      e-mail: Info@...

      To join our ActionLA Listserv