Unions Anti-immigration

  • Al Soto
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 9, 2004
      Date: Thu, 5 Aug 2004 12:37:04 -0700 (PDT)
      From: carlos bravo <seafarersstar@...>
      Subject: Re: Re Latino/immigrant bashing

      That Is Pure Non-Sense....

      Maybe the Farm workers or other Unions strongly Connected to Immigrant
      but the National Unions have lined up as Anti-Immigration.

      Unions and Chicanos have always had an adversarial relationship.
      in The Mid-West and East Coast...Clinton signed tha Bill because his
      in the South, Esat and Mid-West had put a gun to his head. They Vote,
      in the Southwest we do not.

      Rosalio Munoz <rosalio_munoz@...> wrote:
      Then it was passed by the Republican Congress and signed by Clinton in
      an election year. Again in an election year there is the danger the
      GOP Congress will move and Bush sign. There is more support among
      Democrats, more Latinos, more pro labor folks, but the Republicans may try to
      force them into a corner. We have to be ready and also strengthen our
      ties to our allies. Rosalio

      Felipe Aguirre <aguirrefel@...> wrote: the law was signed in
      1996 and took effect in 1997
      From: Rosalio Munoz
      To: Sam Webb ; Ernesto Vigil ; talbano@... ; Jesus Trevino ;
      Jarvis Tyner ; David Sandoval ; Hilda Reyes ; riccastro@... ; Roberta
      ; Rossana ; nativolopez@... ; Leo Nieto ; nopalnvl@... ;
      Arturo Madrid ; mandosthing@... ; John Marquez ; Jessie Marshall ;
      Scott Marshall ; Carlos Montez ; Daniel morales ; Huericamy Lopez ;
      lptorrez1@... ; lydialopez@... ;
      kelsdrumr@... ; jbachtell@... ; JoAnn ;
      joelle.fishman@... ; Hancock Joseph ; juanrvi@... ; Tom
      Hayden ; garcia@... ; gmariscal@... ; emora@... ;
      *Aztlannet_Action ; Ernesto Aguilar ; Lalo Alcaraz ; apetterz@... ;
      Archie ; ave50studio@... ; Marilyn Bechtel ; Judith Le Blanc ; Kay
      Brown ; Roberto Calderon ; carlwood@... ; dtmrt1@...
      Sent: Wednesday, August 04, 2004 12:34 PM
      Subject: [Aztlannet_Action] Re Latino/immigrant bashing

      For the past several weeks I have been sending out items about
      immigrant and Latino bashing primarily taken for the hate group web site
      American Patrol as well as other sources. Since the mid seventies
      orchestrated immigrant bashing has been a concern of mine when it surfaced very
      strongly around the time the United Farm Workers began winning elections
      in the fields and other labor and community organizing efforts that
      included Latino immigrants began to grow. It grew stronger with the
      Proposition 13 tide and institutionalized in the Reagan years.
      Last year during the California recall election a new wrinkle arose,
      the attack on Mecha launched to smear Lt. Gov. Cruz Bustamante that grew
      into the smearing of Governor Gray Davis and brought Schwartznegger
      into office. The new wrinkle linked the anti immigrant efforts of the
      past to an anti Latino empowerment backlash effort and was very
      successful. People were not ready for it, a retreat took place most noticeably
      on the repeal of the immigrant drivers license bill with not an opposing
      vote in the State Senate, as part of a compromise that was never
      The right wing has continued on this line but now on a national basis.
      Foreign Policy, a top level establishment journal published Harvard
      professor' Samunel Huntington's ravings on a Latino/immigrant threat to US
      culture and values, among other things it linked the anti immigrant
      hysteria with the "values" concerns of the religious right. Anti immigrant
      forces tried to take over the Sierra Club . Republican student groups,
      began well publicized campaigns against Mecha on the prestigious
      Stanford and UCLA campuses, mass immigrant raids began in June, military
      planes and equipment is being added to the Border Patrol, deportees are
      being flown by jet deep into Mexico. Congress has been flooded with anti
      immigrant proposals that could be railroaded through or at least made
      highly visible after Labor Day. The Bush administration has taken
      special steps to squash bipartisan legislative efforts for more rights for
      immigrants. Right wing forces in state and local governments are
      implementing or threating anti immigrant measures in every state of
      the Union.
      Much positive of course is happening like the labor led immigrants
      rights Freedom Ride last year, and all kinds of follow up since. As the
      election approaches an upsurge of Anti Bush sentiment and effort amongst
      Latinos is growing, however the anti Latino/immigrant backlash campaign
      is also unfolding in an unprecedented manner as well. Recently an AFGE
      union group of Border Patrol agents is campaigning against the 100% pro
      labor Latino Rep. Joe Baca (D-CA) for his stand against immigration
      raids, and they threaten more such efforts. Republican Latino Congressman
      Bonilla of Texas has joined in the anti immigrant hysteria focussing on
      Central Americans. A South Carolina African American Republican
      candidate for Senate has been so anti immigrant that even GOP leader Jack
      Kemp has had to disown him. Bogus studiens and investigative journalism is
      being produced on every major issue about how immigrants "negatively"
      impact on education, gangs, health care, sex crimes, etc., etc.
      What we have before us is a highly sophisticated campaign to use the
      anti Latino/immigrant themes as a wedge issue against the whole spectrum
      of anti bush forces that will also seek to intimidate the Latino vote,
      scare away liberals from pro immigrant stands, provoke nationalist
      reactions and add to the overall climate of hate and fear of the far rights
      electoral strategy.
      I think what is needed is a truth squad, an anti defamation effort that
      helps people counteract the lies. Developing responses, or gathering
      up good responses produced, common stereotypes and lies. If some left
      and progressives start doing it others I am sure would get involved,
      perhaps there are such efforts already.

      Possible topics.
      Immigrants and taxes, social services, social security, health care,
      crime, learning English, wages, history of immigration & other forms of
      importation of labor eg slavery, the ultra right nightwork of hate in
      general and related to Latinos and immigration, etc, etc.

      Is anyone already doing such work? Are there good articles and essays,
      research on this, are there people out there wanting to help on such a
      project. ?

      The news is to be reported not to sway opinion. No more melodrama of constant entertainment trivia on news time. The founding fathers knew that government is always corrupt, that is why they gave us civil liberties. The people must lead to survive corrupt governments. Read the constitution. (In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, this includes information for research and educational purposes.) Al Soto (c) 2004

      Do you Yahoo!?