Fwd: Border Patrol Arrests Violated Policy, Agency Concedes, yeah we did it, what you gonna do about it...cry???

  • Al Soto
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 2, 2004
      "RENTERIA,FABIAN" <frenteri@...> wrote:Date: Sat, 26 Jun 2004 13:40:01 -0700
      From: "RENTERIA,FABIAN"
      To: "'List Azteca'"

      Subject: Border Patrol Arrests Violated Policy, Agency Concedes

      hmmm..."we did it, but its not our fault, its our job" then homeland
      security slaps their hand in public, while high fiving them in secret...

      http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-immig26jun26,1,7966625.story?coll=la-headlines-california

      THE REGION

      Border Patrol Arrests Violated Policy, Agency Concedes

      failed to notify headquarters in Washington of sweeps.
      By Solomon Moore
      Times Staff Writer

      June 26, 2004
      Border Patrol agents who arrested more than 400 undocumented immigrants
      during sweeps in Riverside and San Bernardino counties earlier this month
      acted against a Department of Homeland Security policy requiring agents to
      clear such operations with their Washington headquarters, officials said
      Friday.
      The undersecretary of Homeland Security, Asa Hutchinson, accepted the
      request of a group of California legislators Friday to review the operation
      and, during a meeting with them, acknowledged that the agents had broken
      department policy.
      "While the Border Patrol activities in Temecula were within their statutory
      authority, there was not an appropriate � headquarters review and approval
      prior to the beginning of the operation," said Mario Villarreal, a
      spokesman for Customs and Border Protection, an agency of Homeland
      Security.
      Villarreal said Hutchinson's office would issue a written response to the
      California representatives next week.
      The sweeps were conducted by the Mobile Patrol Group, a team of a dozen
      specially trained agents based at the Temecula station in Riverside County.
      Villarreal said the station had informed Border Patrol in San Diego of the
      planned sweeps, but not Washington.
      The operation caused a stir in Southern California's predominantly Latino
      communities and drew complaints from some politicians and church leaders
      that the arrests could lead to racial profiling.
      Some also expressed concerns that the sweeps could have a chilling effect on
      neighborhoods with large immigrant communities.
      U.S. Rep. Hilda L. Solis (D-El Monte), one of the legislators in the meeting
      with Hutchinson, criticized the agents' methods, which she said included
      questioning children about their parents' citizenship.
      "This is going to put fear into these communities," Solis said.
      "Constituents were calling my office telling us that people weren't going to
      church, people weren't going to work or shopping. Children weren't going to
      school or going to clinics to get their insulin shots," she said.
      Border Patrol officials insisted that they engaged suspected illegal
      immigrants in consensual conversations before determining whether to arrest
      them.
      They have also said they conducted the raids based on prior intelligence on
      immigrants who were being sought in connection with crimes.
      Solis said that Hutchinson pledged to keep a closer eye on such operations
      in the future, but did not discount that there would be similar sweeps in
      the coming months.

      Anyone But Bush for President
      Courtesy of AztecaNet Internet Services http://www.azteca.net
      Azteca Web page http://www.mexica.net
      AztecaNet offering LowCost 56K Internet Access throughout the US.
      Need a WebPresence for your Business or Organization? Get your Azteca Discount!

      The news is to be reported not to sway opinion. No more melodrama of constant entertainment trivia on news time. The founding fathers knew that government is always corrupt, that is why they gave us civil liberties. The people must lead to survive corrupt governments. Read the constitution. (In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, this includes information for research and educational purposes.) Al Soto (c) 2004