Fwd: [Denver-ANA] Kerry: No Licenses for Illegal Immigrants

  • Al Soto
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 1, 2004
      Pavlos Stavropoulos <pdstavropoulos@...> wrote:To: "denver-ANA@yahoogroups. com"
      From: "Pavlos Stavropoulos"

      Date: Wed, 30 Jun 2004 23:49:27 -0600
      Subject: [Denver-ANA] Kerry: No Licenses for Illegal Immigrants

      My Groups | Denver-ANA Main Page

      Kerry: No Licenses for Illegal Immigrants

      Wed Jun 30,

      By NEDRA PICKLER, Associated Press Writer

      PITTSBURGH - Democrat John Kerry (news - web sites) said he opposes state
      laws that give driver's licenses to illegal immigrants, a position that puts
      him at odds with the Hispanic activists he is courting in the presidential
      race.

      Immigrant advocates have been pushing for the laws, saying they help
      undocumented workers get around safely. Licensed drivers know the rules of
      the road and can buy insurance, making streets safer for everyone, they say.

      Shortly after Kerry told the National Council of La Raza on Tuesday that he
      would make immigration reform a top priority to ease the path to citizenship
      for working immigrants, he took a tougher stance on the issue of driver's
      licenses in an interview with the Spanish-language network Telemundo.

      "I think that driver's licenses are part of the legality of being here and
      if you've been here a period of time we may work something out as part of
      that immigration process, but I wouldn't give somebody who is automatically
      one year in here illegally all the rights and privileges of being here
      legally," Kerry said in the interview.

      "I think that's wrong. That defeats the purposes of the law," he said.

      Cecilia Munoz, vice president for policy at the National Council of La Raza,
      said Wednesday that Kerry's comments "somewhat undercut" his well-received
      speech before her organization.

      "Let me take a deep breath here," Munoz said after hearing about Kerry's
      comments, then paused before continuing. "I guess what's frustrating is that
      Senator Kerry was just at our conference making terrific proposals that
      would benefit the immigrant community. ... This stand is going to be much
      less well received."

      Munoz said driver's licenses have nothing to do with granting legal status
      or protecting against terrorism, as other opponents of the laws have
      suggested.

      "This is one of those issues that affect people every day in their day to
      day lives," Munoz said.

      Kerry spokesman David Wade said Wednesday that Kerry thinks it is a state
      responsibility to decide who gets a driver's license. Wade said Kerry would
      not support any federal efforts to stop states from giving them to illegal
      immigrants.

      President Bush (news - web sites)'s re-election campaign did not return
      telephone calls about his position on the issue. Bush also is campaigning
      for the Hispanic vote, which went for Democrat Al Gore (news - web sites),
      62 percent to 35 percent, in the 2000 race.

      Bush's brother, Republican Florida Gov. Jeb Bush, supported a bill to allow
      illegal immigrants to obtain driver's licenses. But the bill's sponsor
      abandoned the measure last April after law enforcement officials raised
      security concerns.

      California was set to allow driver's licenses for illegal immigrants this
      year, until the legislation became an issue in the state's gubernatorial
      recall election. Despite protests from immigrant communities, Republican
      Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger (news - web sites) signed a measure repealing the
      law shortly after taking office last November. But he currently is working
      with the sponsor of the original bill on another plan to grant driving
      privileges to illegal immigrants.

      About a dozen other states allow undocumented immigrants to apply for
      driver's licenses, according to the National Immigration Law Center.

      Adam J. Segal, director of the Hispanic Voter Project at Johns Hopkins
      University, said while some community leaders may criticize Kerry's stance
      on driver's licenses, he wins points for advocating legalization for
      immigrant workers and other programs to support their families.

      "I wouldn't expect Kerry's stance on this issue would strongly influence
      whether Latinos support him or President Bush in November," Segal said.

      As part of his immigration plan, Kerry said he would offer a reform bill in
      his first 100 days to allow immigrants to earn legalization, encourage
      family reunification and strengthen border protections. Wade said Kerry
      wants to "fix the system as a whole rather than addressing issues
      piecemeal."

      "Everyone who gets legal status of course should get driver's licenses,"
      Wade said. "But there are safety and other concerns with giving driver's
      licenses to anybody and everybody without broader reform."

      The news is to be reported not to sway opinion. No more melodrama of constant entertainment trivia on news time. The founding fathers knew that government is always corrupt, that is why they gave us civil liberties. The people must lead to survive corrupt governments. Read the constitution. (In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, this includes information for research and educational purposes.) Al Soto (c) 2004