5/28: Please Support Civil Liberties Restoration Act!

    Message 1 of 1 , May 30, 2004
      Roll-Out of Civil Liberties Restoration Act
      May 28, 2004

      As part of the Rights Working Group, the Forum convened two conference calls
      (May 20 and May 27) for organizations interested in participating and/or
      coordinating press events to highlight the roll out of the CLRA.  Pasted below is
      an update on the CLRA rollout and key materials we agreed to circulate.  Have a
      great Memorial Day weekend.

      Sincerely,

      Shoba Sivaprasad, Esq.
      Senior Policy Associate
      National Immigration Forum
      50 F. Street, NW, Suite 300
      Washington, D.C. 20001
      main: (202)-347-0047
      direct: (202)-383-5991
      fax: (202)-347-0058
      ssivaprasad@...

      The Civil Liberties Restoration Act of 2004 is scheduled to be introduced on
      Tuesday, June 8 by Senators Kennedy (D-MA), Leahy (D-VT), Feingold (D-WI), and
      Durbin (D-IL) as well as Representatives Berman (D-CA) and Delahunt (D-MA).
      We believe there may be additional sponsors and will keep you updated.

      Rights Working Group
      POC: Katherine Newell Bierman
      Staff Attorney, Immigrant Rights, NAPALC
      1140 Connecticut Avenue, NW, Suite 1200
      Washington, DC  20036
      phone: 202.296.2300
      fax: 202.296.2318
      knewell@...

      1) What is CLAR Act?
      2) PLEASE SIGN ON TO SHOW YOUR SUPPORT
      3) LOCAL PRESS EVENTS
      4) CLRA Sign On Letter
      1) What is CLAR Act?

      At the core of the American value system is the belief that every human being
      is afforded certain inalienable rights. From guaranteeing every person a fair
      trial to providing equal protection under the law to all, respect for
      individual rights is the foundation of American democracy, and as we endeavor to
      protect these principles, we can promote unity at home and build credibility
      abroad. In the aftermath of the September 11th attacks, our nation has struggled to
      meet new security challenges while preserving fundamental values of liberty
      and fairness. The Civil Liberties Restoration Act of 2004 (CLRA) would
      safeguard basic rights and promote our nation's safety. It would move the United
      States forward at this important time by demonstrating to the world that this
      country takes seriously the rights of people it detains. The CLRA includes the
      following provisions:

      · End Secret Hearings. The CLRA would end the government's ability to issue
      a blanket order closing all deportation hearings to the public and to family
      members of detainees, while permitting the closure of hearings or a portion of
      hearings on a case-by-case basis to preserve the confidentiality of asylum
      applications or when national security interests so require. (Sec. 101)

      · Ensure Due Process for Detained Individuals. The CLRA would provide
      minimum due process safeguards to individuals who are jailed on suspicion of
      immigration violations by giving them timely notice of the charges against them and
      assure that immigration authorities and judges make fair, individualized bond
      determinations. (Sec. 201, 202 and 203)

      · Establish Independent Immigration Court. The CLRA would establish an
      independent immigration court within the Department of Justice and promote fair
      hearings by a competent, independent and impartial tribunal. (Sec. 204)

      · End Special Registration. The CLRA would terminate the troubled National
      Security Entry-Exit Registration System while encouraging fairness and a
      concentrated focus on those who pose a threat to the national security or safety of
      Americans. (Sec. 301 and 302)

      · Make Penalties Commensurate with Violations. The CLRA would assign
      reasonable penalties, commensurate to the technical nature of the violations, for
      non-citizens' failure to register or provide timely notification of address
      changes. (Sec. 303)

      · Require Accurate Criminal Databases. The CLRA would facilitate better law
      enforcement practices by requiring that the National Crime Information Center
      database relied upon daily by state and local law enforcement complies with
      minimum accuracy requirements. (Sec. 304)

      · Ensure Access to Evidence. The CLRA would ensure that people who are
      charged with a crime based upon national security surveillance under the Patriot
      Act would see the evidence against them in the same manner as people charged
      with a crime based upon other kinds of classified information. (Sec. 401)

      · Mandate Reports on Data-Mining. The CLRA would require the government to
      submit a public report to Congress on data-mining activities in order to
      protect the privacy and due process rights of individuals and to ensure accurate
      information is collected and used. (Sec. 402)

      · Limit Secret Seizures of Records. The House version of the CLRA would
      amend the USA PATRIOT Act to limit the secret seizure of private databases and
      individual records to cases where the government has shown there is a reasonable
      connection to a suspected terrorist or terrorist group. (Sec. 403 in House
      version)

      2) PLEASE SIGN ON TO SHOW YOUR SUPPORT:
      We hope your organization can join the movement to restore the due process
      rights and civil liberties that have been harmed by post-9/11 policies by
      signing on to this letter in support of the Civil Liberties Restoration Act of 2004.

      Please respond by Monday, June 7 to let us know if your organization will
      sign on to this letter. To sign-on, please send an e-mail to CLRA@...
      Please clarify if you are signing on as a national or local organization and if
      you are signing on as a local organization, please note your address.

      Please also note that this letter is for organizations only, not individuals.
      If you have any questions about this, please feel free to contact Marshall
      Fitz, Associate Director of Advocacy at the American Immigration Lawyers
      Association (AILA) at mfitz@... or 202-216-2437.

      3) LOCAL PRESS EVENTS:
      To kick of the beginning of what we hope will be a vibrant campaign, we are
      asking local organizations and coalitions to consider hosting some type of
      press conference/local action in support of CLRA on or after June 8, the expected
      introduction date. A number of key local coalitions are planning such events
      in support of CLRA. We strongly believe local action will be essential to the
      success of this campaign.

      DC groups will hold a telephonic press conference at 1pm Eastern on June 8.
      Speakers for this event will include advocates from the human rights,
      immigrant rights, civil rights, and civil liberties sectors. We will circulate a media
      advisory shortly, and can list your local event if we have the information in
      time.

      If you have an event planned, please e-mail the time, date, location, contact
      person, and type of event you have planned to: Douglas Rivlin, National
      Immigration Forum,  at Rivlin@... and Dane VandenBerg at
      dane@....  This will enable us to help publicize all local events
      happening nationwide.  Also, we strongly suggest that you ensure that your local
      events have representation from a broad spectrum of supporters (immigrant,
      human rights, civil rights, faith, government, Republicans, Democrats, etc.) and
      have a “human face” (a person who can tell their own story) to illustrate
      every story. Dane can also provide groups with regional media lists.

      Even if you cannot organize or participate in a local press event, please let
      us know if you would be willing to accept press calls about CLRA.  The
      National Immigration Forum also offers a basic "How-To" Media Kit at:

      http://www.immigrationforum.org/currentissues/articles/BasicHowtoMedia.pdf%c2%a0

      LOCAL STORIES:
      Please send us local stories of individuals who would benefit from the CLRA
      or who have suffered as a result of related post 9-11 policies.  Please send
      these stories to Shoba Sivaprasad, Senior Policy Associate, at the National
      Immigration Forum at ssivaprasad@... or (202) 383-5991.

      4) CLRA Sign On Letter
      (Separate letters for House and Senate)

      June 2004
      Dear [Senator/Representative]

      The undersigned organizations write to express our support for the Civil
      Liberties Restoration Act (CLRA) of 2004. Our organizations represent a diverse
      and growing movement in communities nationwide who believe that the United
      States can meet new security demands while preserving fundamental liberties and
      American values of fairness and equal treatment for all. Although we differ in
      our missions and mandates, we come together around these principles to endorse
      this important legislation.

      Many of the actions taken by Congress, the Administration, and law
      enforcement in the aftermath of the September 11th attacks represent reasonable
      For example, after September 11, hundreds of Arab and Muslim immigrants with
      no connection to terrorism were arrested and detained for weeks and months.
      The jailed individuals' names were withheld from the public and their
      deportation hearings kept secret - in short, a system of secret detention that fosters
      abuse.  A Department of Justice (DOJ) Inspector General report subsequently
      confirmed that many were held for prolonged periods without charge; that the DOJ
      adopted a policy of denying bond to every detainee without any evidence of
      connections to terrorism or risk of flight; that many were denied access to a
      lawyer and held in excessively harsh conditions; and that some were physically
      and verbally abused by prison guards.

      These and other measures do not enhance natioal security; rather, they
      violate our tradition of due process, alienate immigrant communities, and undermine
      U.S. efforts to promote democracy, human rights, and the rule of law abroad.
      The CLRA will help protect core values at home while demonstrating to the world
      that the Untied States takes seriously the rights of people it detains.  The
[...]

      *          [FOR HOUSE VERSION OF LETTER] Amend the USA PATRIOT Act to limit
      the secret seizure of private databases and individual records to cases where
      the government has shown there is a reasonable connection to a suspected
      terrorist or terrorist group.

      The CLRA promotes the integrity of the American system of justice and
      reaffirms our commitment to core constitutional values.  The CLRA moves the United
      States forward at this important time with a clear understanding that upholding
      basic rights and the rule of law is essential to our long-term success in
      countering terrorism and creating a safer and more stable world.  We commend your
      leadership in introducing this critical piece of legislation and look forward
      to working with you in moving this measure to enactment.

      Sincerely,

      National Organizations

      Local Organizations

      webpage: http://www.actionla.org/ISN/ (For latest immigrant issues/news)

      Please Come!
      August 27 Immigrant-Workers Community Speak Out!/Day of Action
      Part of the Conter-RNC Mobolization, New York City
      http://www.actionla.org/ISN/RNC/index.htm

      ***Please consider making a donation to the important work of the ActionLA
      Coalition, National Immigrant Solidarity Network and US-Mexico Border Actions
      Send check pay to:
      ActionLA/SEE
      1013 Mission St. #6
      South Pasadena CA 91030
      (All donations are tax deductible)

      *to join the immigrant Solidarity Network daily-news litserv, send e-mail to:
      isn-subscribe@...

      *a monthly ISN monthly Action Alert! listserv, go to webpage http://www.actio
      nla.org/cgi-bin/mojo/mojo.cgi?f=list&l=isn

      *National Immigrant Solidarity Network is the part of the ActionLA Coalition
      and US-Mexico Border Actions Project

      US-Mexico Border Actions
      No Militarization of Borders! Support Immigrant Rights!
      e-mail: borderactions@...

      *to join the US-Mexico Border Information Bulletin, send e-mail to:
      Border01-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

      ActionLA
      e-mail: Info@...

      To join our ActionLA Listserv