HispanicVista.com Weekly Digest - Columnists&Op-Eds

  • EditorialOpinion@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , May 18, 2004
      HispanicVista.com Weekly Digest
      http://www.hispanicvista.com
      COLUMNIST & COMMENTARY-OPINION
      (Scroll down to end for Removal or Subscription information)

      LETTERS TO EDITOR
      I fully appreciate your participation in the First Forum of Binational
      Thought: "Los mexicanos de aquí y de allá: ¿perspectivas comunes?", organized
      jointly by the Senate and the Mexican and American Solidarity Foundation, on April
      28 and 29 in Mexico City.

      From: InterAmerican Development Bank - and others.

      HispanicVista.com COLUMNISTS
      Hispanic youths are the best retirement plan for non-Hispanics.
      By Patrick Osio, Jr.
      HispanicVista.com
      Harvard professor, Samuel P. Huntington, suggested that the United States
      ignores the dual culture of the US Hispanics, the "Hispanic Challenge," at its
      own peril. He is absolutely right - but not for the reasons he promotes, but
      because the real challenge is how Hispanics are to support the aging non-Hispanic
      white population of the United States. The peril faced by the White Anglo
      Saxon Protestant (WASPS) described by Huntington is that they're aging very fast
      and their Social Security benefits will depend on the earning power of the
      younger US-Hispanics.

      John Kerry: Too French To Be US President?
      By Domenico Maceri
      HispanicVista.com
      James Garfield was a professor of classics before he became the 20th American
      president. One time, wanting to show his abilities with foreign languages, he
      amused friends by translating simultaneously an English document into Greek
      with his left hand and Latin with his right hand.

      Educational Issues in Oregon: Hispanics
      By Erika Robles
      HispanicVista.com
      From 1990 to 2000 the total number of Hispanics in Oregon grew 144%. It
      jumped from 112,708 (in 1990) to 275,314 (2000), making Hispanics the largest
      minority group in Oregon. According to the Census Bureau of Statistics (2000), 8
      percent of the Oregon's population is Hispanic - 6 percent of Mexican origin.
      Although it is not an extremely high percentage -compared to the Hispanic
      percentage in California, for instance- the issue to take into account is that
      Oregon is, in its majority, a White Population State -83.5 percent are White only.
      This fact could have several repercussions, such as: lack of
      knowledge/understanding of Hispanic culture and reduce numbers of Spanish speaking people.

      Erminio Dominguez: In the Service of His Country
      By Donna S. Morales and John P. Schmal
      Hispanicvista.com
      Erminio Lujan Dominguez was born on May 19, 1922 in Turner, Kansas as the
      seventh of nine children of Geronimo Dominguez and Luisa Lujan, who were both
      immigrants from the Hacienda de Santa Monica in the municipio of Sain Alto in
      Zacatecas, Mexico. Erminio's parents had left Mexico in 1909 as the Mexican
      Republic was beginning its rapid descent into its bloody ten-year Mexican
      Revolution. Their first two children were born in Mexico, but the rest of their
      children were born in Canadian, Texas and Kansas City, Kansas.

      A White Guy Ex-convict Speaks
      By Raoul Lowery Contreras
      HispanicVista.com
      DAVID DUKE is fresh out of prison. David Duke, quintessential White
      supremacist is out of jail and his mouth is running again. David Duke represents the
      worst of the United States of America, that is, a loudmouth ex-convict spouting
      racial hatred.

      Latino Parents - Let's Wake Up!
      By Domingo Ivan Casañas
      HispanicVista.com
      As a Latino parent I know that how we bring up our children will make them
      into productive citizens of this great country. There are too many activists,
      reporters, moviemakers and other that mistaken the Latino gang culture for the
      larger Latino culture or view the Latino social ills as if they were either the
      norm or the natural reaction to the Latino American predicament. As parents
      we have the responsibility to bring up our children with good morals, with God
      in their hearts, and with much love.

      Turgid Political Relations
      By Richard Baldwin
      HispanicVista.com
      México has now "lowered" our diplomatic relationship with Cuba, downgrading a
      full ambassadorial relationship to a "Charge de Affairs" level while still
      maintaining embassies in both countries. Both countries have recalled their
      ambassadors at México's request. This is the lowest level of relations between
      México and Cuba in a century.
      COMMENTARY-OPINION
      (Editor's note: Katherine Culliton, MALDEF attorney, was a keynote speaker at
      the First Forum on Binational Reflections - "Mexicans from here and from
      there. Common Perspectives" sponsored by the Mexican Senate and Ministry of
      Foreign Relations in cooperation with the Mexican-American Solidarity Foundation.
      Ms. Culliton's 20 page presentation in Spanish is available at the below link.
      The Editor recommends all organizations and activists to download and use her
      comments as guides and information of the work being done and yet to be done.)
      Los Derechos Humanos y Derechos Laborales de los Inmigrantes Latinos en los
      Estados Unidos
      Presentación de Katherine Culliton, Defensora de los Inmigrantes de MALDEF
      (Mexican American Legal Defense and Educational Fund), al Primer Foro de
      Reflexión Binacional "Los Mexicanos de aquí y allá ¿Perspectivas comunes?, para la
      Fundación Solidaridad Mexicano-Americano, ante el Senado de México, Abril de
      2004.

      Mexican Melodrama Leads to Diplomatic Crisis with Cuba
      By Laura Carlsen
      Mexicans have been living a national melodrama lately-but without the happy
      ending. The plot has all the ingredients of prime-time television: suspense,
      romance, espionage, corruption, and sensational twists and turns. All this, with
      the "reality" component.

      I have now received a workplace injunction preventing me from protesting
      their illegal activity. What can I do now? Can you help me?
      By Shawn Miller
      This is to request help from you to help illegal Mexican immigrant employees
      that work for Moon Valley Nurseries (Phoenix, AZ 7 locations). They are being
      treated and paid like slave labor.

      Oil Company Profits in Perspective
      By Joe Armendariz
      Recently, a reader accused me of trying to have it both ways in a column I
      wrote about current gas prices. In my column, I suggested that when adjusted for
      inflation, today's gas prices are a bargain compared to 25 years ago. And
      they are. Yet, in his response, the reader suggested, "if oil companies are
      declaring record profits in the midst of significantly higher gas prices, then they
      must be charging more than they had to pay for their oil."

      Hispanics Are Changing America and Forging Our New Future
      By Jorge Ramos* and Adam J. Segal**
      The United States is a nation being transformed by Hispanic influence. There
      is no turning back. The striking image of America's population in 2050 painted
      by the Census Bureau this month took almost everyone by surprise, even those
      researchers who study the growth of minority communities.

      Senator Martinez? - Former HUD chief makes a run.
      By John J. Miller
      And then there were 17? That's the number of candidates who met last week's
      filing deadline for the Senate election in Florida, where Democrat Bob Graham
      is retiring and both parties anticipate a close race.

      Evaluating Enhanced US Border Enforcement
      By Wayne Cornelius
      During the past 10 years, the overwhelming emphasis in US immigration policy
      has been on border enforcement, primarily on the US-Mexican border. Congress
      has more than tripled spending for border enforcement activities since 1993,
      despite evidence that this unprecedented border build-up has failed to deter
      significant numbers of unauthorized migrants from attempting entry.

      NCLR Announces Opposition to Federal Marriage Amendment
      NCLR strongly believes that amending the U.S. Constitution for the purpose
      defined in the Federal Marriage Amendment is unnecessary and dangerous.

      Hispanic employees not getting their due, says rights coalition
      By Amelia Gruber
      Federal agencies are failing in efforts to recruit, retain and promote
      Hispanics, and Congress and the Bush administration must take immediate steps to
      address the problem, a coalition of civil rights groups said Monday.

      Guatemala: Unique opportunity to combat impunity must not be missed Amnesty
      International
      Amnesty International today called on the Guatemalan Congress to approve the
      creation of the United Nations backed Commission for the Investigation of
      Illegal Bodies and Clandestine Security Apparatus (CICIACS) in Guatemala.

      Brown Vs Board, 50 Years Later
      By George Will
      The Supreme Court's decision 50 years ago, although an immense blessing to
      the nation, also carries a melancholy lesson. It is that great events -- the
      school desegregation ruling was the largest judicial event since the Dred Scott
      case of 1857 -- have myriad reverberations, some beneficial, others not.

      Get black teens back to books
      By Cynthia Tucker
      I was born in Alabama in 1955, just months after the U.S. Supreme Court
      outlawed segregated public schools in its famous ruling, Brown v. Board of
      Education. My mother believed the decision would save me from being marooned in
      second-class schools because of my skin color.

      COMMON SENSE
      Wars can be lost on the battlefield, but not completely won there.
      By Paul Jacob
      Wars can be lost on the battlefield, but not completely won there. That's
      because war, as the Prussian military strategist Karl von Clausewitz wrote, "is
      the continuation of politics by other means." And politics is not naked force:
      political endeavors succeed or fail on their ideas and values. Wars can only
      be won when the peace is won -- in hearts and minds.

      Bush's Fate Will Determine Kerry's Success
      By David M. Shribman
      Two truths, each discomforting, are dawning on the Democrats as they gird for
      this autumn's presidential elections…The first is that the election is not
      about John F. Kerry but about George W. Bush. The second is that the best recipe
      for Democratic success is American failure -- in the economy, in the war on
      terror, in the struggle in Iraq.

      Bush is the Issue
      By Richard Reeves
      "Kerry Struggling to Find a Theme in Campaign Against Bush" was a headline in
      The New York Times the other day. As a matter of fact, it seems the Times
      runs that headline almost every day -- and so do other newspapers across the
      country…Well, how about this for a theme: "I am not George W. Bush!"

      Is the Game Over? A Comic Apology
      By M. Shahid Alam
      "There's a lot of people in the world who don't believe that people whose
      skin color may not be the same as ours can be free and self-govern. I reject
      that. I reject that strongly. I believe that people who practice the Muslim faith
      can self-govern. I believe that people whose skins aren't necessarily -- are a
      different color than white can self-govern."

      That was no 'fraternity hazing' at Abu Ghraib prison
      By Molly Ivins
      Let's get real. On Fox So-Called News, former Army Sgt. Tony Robinson was
      allowed to claim without contradiction that what happened at the prison at
      Abu-Ghraib was no worse than "fraternity hazing." Rush Limbaugh concurs.

      Cruelty comes to us so quickly - Most people would play role of torturer
      By Vicki Haddock
      Insight Americans
      7,500 miles removed from notorious Abu Ghraib prison were justifiably shocked
      by photographs of U.S. soldiers abusing Iraqi prisoners, and couldn't help
      asking themselves what kind of heinous human being could do such a thing? The
      answer is, according to psychologists who study torture, most of us.

      Army Times Editorial
      A failure of leadership at the highest levels
      Around the halls of the Pentagon, a term of caustic derision has emerged for
      the enlisted soldiers at the heart of the furor over the Abu Ghraib prison
      scandal: the six morons who lost the war.

      Are there times when we have to accept torture?
      By Ariel Dorfman
      The Guardian (UK)
      Is torture ever justified? That is the dirty question left out of the
      universal protestations of disgust, revulsion and shame that has greeted the release
      of photos showing British and American soldiers tormenting prisoners in Iraq.

      A Wretched New Picture Of America
      By Philip Kennicott
      Among the corrosive lies a nation at war tells itself is that the glory --
      the lofty goals announced beforehand, the victories, the liberation of the
      oppressed -- belongs to the country as a whole; but the failure -- the accidents,
      the uncounted civilian dead, the crimes and atrocities -- is always
      exceptional. Noble goals flow naturally from a noble people; the occasional act of
      barbarity is always the work of individuals, unaccountable, confusing and
      indigestible to the national conscience
      (If you wish to be REMOVED from the HispanicVista.com mailing list, please
      mailing as a forwarded message and would like to receive it directly, please
      write to HispanicVistaCom@... (click if active) - write Subscribe on
      Subject box)
      Patrick Osio, Jr./Editor -- POsioJr@...