5/14: Report from 1st RNC Immigrant Solidarity Day Planning Meeting
- Report from 1st RNC Immigrant Solidarity Day Planning Meeting: May 12, 2004
By: Lee Siu Hin
National Immigrant Solidarity Network
Next Speak Out! Phone Conference/Planning Meeting, Wednesday May 26 3:00 PM
Tel: 1-413-200-7060 (Plainfield, MA)
Participant Access Code: 91030
To Join the NoRNC Immigrant Solidarity WG listserv, send e-mail to:
To read call the action (old vision) please visit:
Due to different people have different schedules, we had 5 separate meeting
between May 12 and 13 with 30 people to have the following initial consensus
about the proposed RNC RNC Immigrant Solidarity Day of Action.
May 12 3 PM EST: Phone conference - Siu Hin, Tom Baker, Jeff Senter, Eric
May 12 4 PM EST: Meeting at CCR Office - Siu Hin, John Jurzensen, Sam Quiah,
Danny Katch, Ramona Ortega, Benjamin Ross, Marc Krupunski, Jennifer Flynn,
Arif Ullah, Smirk Vibe, Sheila M.
May 12 7 PM EST: NorRNC Meeting Immigrant Solidarity Breakout (informal) -
Sara Bugler, Sheila M. Christian, Leslie, Jason, Sally, Adam, Jenny, Yvonne,
Liu, Brandon Neubaver, Sharpie, Jeff Senter, Richard McBright, Cheri Honkala
May 13 10:30 AM EST: Meeting with KWRU - Siu Hin, Gael Abary
May 13 1:00 PM EST: Siu Hin, Lenore Palladino, Jessica Rutter
Decisions from the Meeting:
1) We will move the day of immigrant conference from Aug 31 to Aug 27 (Aug 28
is impossible since NYSPC will have their full day Books-Not Bombs
Conference), 2 days before the Aug 29 March.
2) We change the format of the event from conference to community
forum--Immigrant Worker Community Speak Out! Depends on each organization's capcity, any
level of involvement will be welcome.
3) The event will be between half day to 3/4 day, with cultural event at the
4) Kensington Welfare Rights Union, NYSPC, NY Summer and Still We Rise agreed
to corroborate with the Speak Out! event, and help each other's project--as
long as we are not conflict with their event.
5) Kensington Welfare Rights Union suggest we should organize an immigrant
worker contingent and student contingent for the Aug 30 Poor People march.
6) We will work with NY Summer to create educational materials throughout the
7) If everyone can be agreed with the Aug 27 day, we will finalized it and
begin search for meeting space and the promotion and logistic planning.
***Detail Meeting Notes:
- Throughout all these meetings, especially during the May 12 meeting at CCR
office, several immigrant groups expressed concern the conference day on Aug
31 since there's too many too many projects, meetings, protests and actions
happen during the RNC week, it'll be too difficult for immigrant organizations to
take yet another project.
- Some also raised concerns about the conference idea on Aug 31 since it'll
require too much work.
- Several people suggest we should change the meeting day to before the RNC
mobilization, say 2-5 days before.
- After some discussions, we concluded that the Aug 27 (Fri) or Aug 28 (Sat)
will be the best day for the immigrant worker gathering.
- Several people suggests we should changed the format of the gathering, from
formal full-day conference, to half or 3/4 day immigrant-worker community
speak out! (the community forum) with breakout discussion/causus meeting to let
community speak out their issues and voice, and cultural event at the evening.
- The advantage of speak out! is people could enjoy more on informal and less
stress meeting, and can offer some good ideas, messages and set some tones
for the coming RNC week of action. It will be not too early for the RNC
mobilization, many people can come and still get very good media coverage.
- AFSC New York is planning to organize a full-day immigrant cultural event
during the RNC mobilization, and a possibility we can corroborate for the Speak
- Kensington Welfare Rights Union want to corroborate with the Speak Out!
event to support each others: we can organize immigrant-worker contingent for the
Aug 30 "poor people's march", and they will invite us to participate at their
summer long "tent city" and we can offer a day of "immigrant solidarity" on
the "city" etc.
- NY summer would like to work with the Speak Out! event, we proposed NY
Summer can offer some interim work with us to organize a summer-long education
project to go to the NY-area immigrant-worker community for outreach and research
project, and produce an immigrant-worker zine for the mobilization.
- NYSPC would like to corroborate with the Speak Out! event, however, they
raised the issue of Aug 28 since they will have their all day "book-not-bomb"
conference, they request we should consider to organize the event at Aug 27,
- NYSPC suggest we should work on a join promotions for Aug 27 Speak Out! Aug
28 NYSPC Book Not Bomb Conference, the Aug 30 poor people's march, and the NY
Summer program as a one track event for the RNC. We can jointly design a good
postcard and press release materials, to highlight the above events with good
promoting messages, so people can have a mind set to follow one event to
- If we can agree on the day for the Speak Out! most likely Friday, August
27, then we will set up the programming committee, New York area immigrant
community organizations, along with national immigrant groups will be the one to
decide the program for the Speak Out! event.
- We'll have once a month face-to-face planning meeting, with bimonthly phone
- We will create a listserv for organizing the Speak Out event! and to
discuses the points of unity and the program for the Immigrant-Worker Community
Next phone conference, Wednesday, May 26 3 PM EST (tentative)
Lee Siu Hin
National Immigrant Solidarity Network
No Immigrant Bashing! Support Immigrant Rights!
*to join the immigrant Solidarity Network daily-news litserv, send e-mail to:
*a monthly ISN monthly Action Alert! listserv, go to webpage
[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]