Americas Program | Zapatismo: Ten Years After

  • IRC Communications
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 20, 2004
      Please accept our apologies for any duplicate postings.

      The IRC’s Americas Program (www.americaspolicy.org) thought you would be
      interested in its new packet on Zapatismo, excerpts of which are contained
      in this week’s CrossBorder Updater which is below. If you would like to
      subscribe to the Updater, please
      see: http://www.americaspolicy.org/updater/index.html

      Siri Khalsa
      IRC Outreach Coordinator

      CROSSBORDER UPDATER | January 20, 2004
      Vol. 2, No. 1

      c o n t e n t s :
      Two Anniversaries, Two Futures | Column by Laura Carlsen
      The Global Zapatista Movement | Report by Luis Hernández Navarro
      Rebellion in Chiapas and Counterinsurgency | Column by Kate Doyle
      Zapatismo Today | Analysis by Luis Hernández Navarro
      A Time to Ask, a Time to Demand, and a Time to Act | Interview by Gloria
      Muñoz Ramírez

      Distributed by the IRC's Americas Program
      "A New World of Ideas, Analysis, and Policy Options."
      The Americas Program is pleased to announce the publication of a special
      packet celebrating and analyzing Zapatismo in Mexico and around the world.
      The packet includes: a commentary on the two anniversaries--the Zapatista
      uprising and the launch of NAFTA--by Laura Carlsen; two essays by Mexican
      political analyst Luis Hernández Navarro on the global solidarity movement
      and the unique character of Zapatismo; an investigative report by Kate
      Doyle based on U.S. military documents; and an interview with Subcomandante
      Marcos by Gloria Muñoz Ramírez. The entire packet is available from the IRC
      for $5.00. Call 505-388-8825 or email
      <<mailto:siri@...>siri@...> to place your order.

      The Americas This Week

      ("The Americas This Week" is a weekly column written by the associates of
      the IRC's Americas Program. Please send your responses to this column or
      comments about other Americas Program's analysis and activities to
      <<mailto:americas@...>americas@...>.)

      NAFTA, Zapatismo, and a Birthday Celebration
      Two Anniversaries, Two Futures
      By Laura Carlsen

      The ten-year anniversary this month has sparked reflection on both sides.
      The raft of official evaluations of NAFTA's effect, particularly on Mexico,
      has come to a common conclusion: The results of the agreement are
      disappointing but the fault lies with external factors, not the agreement
      itself. The walkout at the WTO meeting in Cancun, the diluted FTAA
      agreement in Miami, and the increasingly renegade attitude of Brazil and
      other southern cone countries prove that the free trade consensus in the
      hemisphere is broken. NAFTA can no longer claim to be our undisputed
      destiny. Meanwhile, Zapatismo has risen to the center of a movement
      demanding that the model be rejected outright as a failure, while calling
      for placing diversity, equity, and national development first. During their
      celebration--called "20 and 10: The Fire and the Word"--the movement
      examined twenty years since the founding of the EZLN and 10 years since the
      uprising.

      A third event occurred in the first few days of that tumultuous January
      1994. Our daughter was born. Oblivious, she was born on the cusp of what
      the Zapatistas call the "globalization of death" and a grassroots
      globalization of rebellion. Today, this child faces two futures. One is
      being imposed from above, and is characterized by inequity, illusion, and
      shrinking life options. This is a future that is meeting widespread
      protest, resistance, and opposition--here in Mexico and throughout North
      America. The other future is far less calculated and will be constructed on
      the values of fairness, community, and diversity. It will be a future she
      herself will need to build, although in that task she will not be alone.

      Laura Carlsen is director of the Americas Program (online at
      www.americaspolicy.org) of the Interhemispheric Resource Center (IRC).

      See full article online at:
      http://www.americaspolicy.org/columns/amprog/2004/0401anniversary.html

      New from the IRC's Americas Program:

      Zapatismo Continues into 21st Century
      The Global Zapatista Movement
      Luis Hernández Navarro | January 16, 2004

      Anyone who believes--out of ignorance or self-interest--that Zapatismo is
      stuck or somehow waning is in for a surprise. Just ten months ago in the
      largest demonstration against the war held in Rome, the mother of Carlo
      Giovanni--the young man assassinated by police in the Genoa protests--read
      a communiqué from Subcomandante Marcos. Very few movements have that kind
      of global presence. The international vitality of the Zapatista rebellion
      has continued into the 21st century.

      Luis Hernández Navarro is the Opinion Page Coordinator of the Mexican daily
      newspaper La Jornada and a longtime member of CECCAM (Centro de Estudios
      para el Cambio en el Campo Mexicano). He is an analyst for IRC's Americas
      Program (online at www.ammericaspolicy.org).

      See full article online at:
      http://www.americaspolicy.org/citizen-action/focus/2004/0401zap-global.html

      Documents Reveal Pentagon's Scrutiny of Zapatistas and Mexican Military
      Rebellion in Chiapas and Counterinsurgency
      Kate Doyle | January 19, 2004

      In April 1992 U.S. defense attachés reported on a secret directive
      circulated by the Defense Secretariat's Intelligence Section placing
      military units on alert due to what it called "a national series of
      crimes." The directive dubbed common criminals and narcotraffickers as the
      perpetrators, but noted that "some of them may have been executed by
      clandestine organizations or militants to fulfill their ideological ends."
      Among the evidence of subversive activities mentioned in the document were
      "training camps discovered in the state of Chiapas …" The first reference
      to the Zapatista army in U.S. defense documents occurred shortly after the
      clash between military and rebel forces in late May 1993, when SEDENA sent
      more than 3,000 soldiers into Chiapas on what it characterized as a civic
      action mission.

      Kate Doyle is director of the Mexico Project of National Security Archives
      and a regular contributor to the Americas Program (online at
      www.americaspolicy.org) of the Interhemispheric Resource Center (IRC).

      See full article online at:
      http://www.americaspolicy.org/columns/doyle/2004/0401zapatista.html

      Five Views of the Bridge
      Zapatismo Today
      Luis Hernández Navarro | January 16, 2004

      What is being born in the jungles and mountains of Chiapas has nothing to
      do with building a bridge between the rebellion and the traditional
      political class. That bridge has been burned by the arrogance of power. A
      huge chasm separates the world of formal politics from ever-more-important
      parts of Mexican society. Above, without regard to the colors of the party
      to which they belong, the professionals of power conspire, pose for
      pictures, make deals with big money, and prepare for power to change hands.
      Below, the invisible make life, forge identities, resist, and take control
      of their destiny. Zapatismo has sketched out a new geography. La Realidad,
      that little village in the Lacandon jungle, is today on the map of world
      resistance. The besieged have become the seizers.

      See full article online at:
      http://www.americaspolicy.org/citizen-action/focus/2004/0401zap-five.html

      Interview with Subcomandante Marcos
      A Time to Ask, a Time to Demand, and a Time to Act
      Gloria Muñoz Ramírez | January 16, 2004

      (Excerpt from interview with Subcomandante Marcos)

      "It's often said that diverse movements in Mexico and other parts of the
      world have seen in Zapatismo an example of struggle and even that some have
      taken up its principles to build their own resistance. We say: to those who
      follow our example, don't follow it. We think that everyone has to build
      his and her own experience and not repeat models. In this sense, Zapatismo
      offers a mirror, but a mirror that isn't you, it just helps you see how you
      are, to comb your hair in a certain way, to fix yourself up a little. We
      say, look at our mistakes and achievements--if there are any--the things
      that can serve to build your own processes. But don't try to export
      Zapatismo or import it. We think that the people have enough courage and
      wisdom to build their own process and their own movements, because they
      have their own histories."

      Gloria Muñoz Ramírez is a Mexican author and journalist. This interview was
      translated by the IRC's Americas Program (online at www.americaspolicy.org)
      and excerpted with permission from her book 20 y 10: El fuego y la palabra
      (Mexico City: Rebeldía/La Jornada, 2003).

      See full article online at:
      http://www.americaspolicy.org/citizen-action/focus/2004/0401marcos.html

      blank email to
      <mailto:americas-subscribe@...>americas-subscribe@....

      Because our audience is largely international and bilingual, we include
      announcements of new Spanish-language content in the Crossborder UPDATER.
      To subscribe to the Spanish-language UPDATER Transfronterizo send a blank
      email to:
      <mailto:espamericas-subscribe@...>espamericas-subscribe@....

      To remove yourself from this listserv, send a blank email to
      <mailto:americas-unsubscribe@...>americas-unsubscribe@...;
      to request a help file regarding your UPDATER subscription, send a blank
      email to
      <mailto:americas-info@...>americas-info@...; to
      report problems, email <mailto:americas@...>americas@....

      Support the Americas Program!
      Please consider supporting the IRC's Americas Program. Although we make our
      information freely available on the Internet, we need financial support to
      cover our staff time and expenses. Increasingly, we depend on you and other
      individual donors to sustain our work. Call (505) 388-0208 or visit
      https://secure.iexposure.com/fpif.org/donate.cfm to support the Americas
      Program today.

      "A New World of Ideas, Analysis and Policy Options"
      For more information about the Americas Program and the Interhemispheric
      Resource Center (IRC), visit http://www.americaspolicy.org/