Lee Siu Hin - Journey to My Home: China and Hong Kong

    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 10, 2004
      China and Hong Kong--My trip to home
      By: Lee Siu Hin

      Now, I am flying at airplane from Los Angeles-my current home for the past 15
      years, to return to my birth home, for a first time in long time, to visit my
      family and meeting with many on friends from labor, media, academia and
      activist circles.

      I was born in Hong Kong, I left long time ago for many reasons, I was a
      student and labor activist, witnessed many historical events and transformation in
      China and Hong Kong for the past 25 years.

      I had many good memories, and many bad past memories I want to move on, but
      it's a destiny of me to come back to face my past, overcome the fear of my
      past, understand the present and will have a new beginning for the future.

      Furthermore, this will be my first time in decade to meet my grandparents in
      China, and a first long in-depth trip to my country since 1990. For many
      personal (not political) reasons I had not able to go back to my country to meet my
      love ones, therefore, this trip will help me to recover some of my missing
      links form my past, and help me to regain my courage to face the battle of the
      future. Why? Because I need to witness the great changes in China, my country
      had become so "foreign" to me, my father had telling me: "please come back to
      see your country, it had been changed so much since you were there long time
      ago."

      I know this trip will be a cultural shock to me, not only last time when I
      was in China over 10 years ago, there're no cell phone, no freeways, no
      McDonald's, no Internet and no Wal-Mart store (yes, there's dozen Wal-Mart stories in
      China), this will be my huge learning curve experience, I need see with my own
      eyes the factories in China, the workers, and the Chinese at Starbucks
      coffeehouse drinking coffee and talking with cell phone.

      With my recent trip to Iraq last July, I have a unique first-hand knowledge
      to compare between China, Iraq and United States.

      This is a journey for me not only to rediscover myself, but also a journey of
      rediscover my country, my people, and people form the two nations-China and
      United States, and how it impacts the social justice and anti-globalization
      movements.

      For the next three and half weeks, I will be traveling to Hong Kong, Macau,
      Shenzhen, Guanzhou, Shanghai, Beijing, Tanjing and my grandparents'
      hometown--Weifang.

      More stories will be coming up....

      Lee Siu Hin
      ActionLA