Fw: Presente! From: SOA Watch You are winning! We are winning!"

  • Norma J F Harrison
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 23 12:17 PM
      From: "SOA Watch" <info@...>
      To: <info@...>
      Sent: Sunday, November 23, 2003 8:45 AM
      Subject: Presente!

      Excerpt from a message from the Indigo Girls to those gathered at the gates of Fort Benning, GA:
      "When people ask us how we can still have hope in such despairing times,
      we point to these days when people like you, people of every race, gender,
      sexuality, and religion come together to stand up against torture and
      death used as political cards to be dealt at the whimsy of the
      corrupt..And we want to tell you: You are winning! We are winning!"

      Sunday, Nov.23, 11:50am - After listening to the testimonies of torture
      victims, speeches and music from the stage, thousands are now processing
      to the gates of Fort Benning. People are holding crosses and Stars of
      David with the names of people who were murdered by graduates of the SOA,
      pictures of victims of SOA violence and other commemorative symbols. A
      group dressed in black shrouds and death masks is carrying coffins.
      People are staging a die-in and preparing to cross the line to take our
      message that the School of Assassins must close onto the base.

      Up to the minute coverage from the Atlanta Independent Media Center:

      Today's Columbus Ledger-Enquirer article about the vigil to close the SOA:

      Web Radio from the vigil: http://liveradio.indymedia.org/soa-mp3.m3u

      Yesterday, the army launched a classic Psy-Ops (Psychological Operations)
      action against the protest by placing high-powered loudspeakers at the
      gate and blasting martial music, attempting to drown out speakers and
      disrupt the vigil. After receiving phone calls from across the country and
      inquiries from the media, Fort Benning military officials backed down and
      turned off the music that had been blared at the vigil site for six hours.
      They have kept them off since. Let's hear it for the power of the people!

      The expenses for the vigil (stage and sound, media and legal office
      set-up, travel expenses for Latin America speakers, portable toilets,
      etc.) are not yet covered. We ask for your help. Please give as you are able.

      Please make checks and money orders payable to "SOA Watch" and mail them to:

      SOA Watch
      PO Box 4566
      Washington, DC, 20017

      You can also donate online through PayPal by clicking on the following link:

      SOA Watch does not have 501(c)3 status. Financial contributions are therefore not tax-deductible.
      SOA Watch ~ PO Box 4566 ~ Washington DC 20017 ~ (202)234-3440 ~ www.soaw.org