Fw: Military PsyOps and Police Harassment against SOA Watch Vigil at Fort Benning, Georgia

  • Norma J F Harrison
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 22, 2003
      From: "SOA Watch" <info@...>
      To: <info@...>
      Sent: Saturday, November 22, 2003 12:10 PM
      Subject: Military PsyOps and Police Harassment against SOA Watch Vigil at Fort Benning, Georgia

      Columbus, GA, 3:20PM - The U.S. Military is blasting anthems and marshal
      music at high decibel levels from inside Ft. Benning, directed at our
      peaceful, permitted demonstration outside of the gates of the base. The
      military is attempting to drown out an annual vigil to close the School of
      the Americas, renamed Western Hemisphere Institute for Security
      Cooperation (SOA/WHISC), the notorious combat-training school for Latin Americans.

      The technique of blasting loud music as a "psychological operation" has
      been used by militaries around the world. This method was used to drive
      SOA-graduate Manuel Noriega out of sanctuary in Panama and by Israel
      during the 2002 siege of the Church of the Nativity.

      Meanwhile Columbus Police are using metal detectors to search every person
      attending the demonstration. The City of Columbus has set up a perimeter
      and demonstrators must enter and exit through access points. Last year
      Columbus Police took an action that had until then been unprecedented in
      the United States when they forced people to undergo searches as a
      condition for their participation in a public demonstration. Late last
      week, SOA Watch and the ACLU filed an emergency brief with the 11th
      Circuit Court of Appeals in an attempt to get them to rule on the appeal
      from the 2002 mass-searches, and to enjoin the police from searching
      today. There has been no response from the Court.

      "We will not allow these blatantly unconstitutional attempts to drown out
      our voices," said Bill Quigley, a professor of law at Loyola Law School,
      and lawyer for SOA Watch. "These childish actions by the federal, state
      and local government only strengthen our resolve to stand up for our
      rights and all the victims of the School of the Americas."

      You can act now by calling the following base officials and asking them to turn off the music:

      Ft. Benning Post After Duty: 706-545-2218
      WHINSEC Public Affairs: 706-545-1923
      General Ft. Benning Info: 706-545-2011

      Stay tuned to Atlanta Indymedia http://www.atlanta.indymedia.org for breaking news from Fort
      Benning!