FTAA Ballot Campaign: online action

  • Donna Dove
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 16, 2003
      The Latin America Solidarity Coalition has endorsed the
      People's Consultation survey/balloting campaign. Take
      action on Election Day, November 4th!

      Trade ministers from 34 countries in the Americas are
      negotiating the Free Trade Area of the Americas (FTAA) and
      the Central American Free Trade Agreement (CAFTA) behind
      closed doors. While these agreements will have profound
      harmful effects on the lives and livelihoods of millions
      of people in the Americas, these trade ministers refuse to
      allow real citizen participation in the process.

      Across the hemisphere, social movements are uniting saying
      "If they won't consult the people, we'll do it for them!"
      Balloting on the FTAA is now being coordinated in every
      country in the hemisphere by the Hemispheric Social
      Alliance, a coalition of anti-FTAA coalitions in countries
      throughout the Americas. Brazil set a high bar last fall
      when they collected over 10 Million ballots, 99% of which
      voted NO ON THE FTAA!

      Our national goal is to collect 1 Million Ballots and to
      present them to the trade ministers gathered in Miami for
      the FTAA Ministerial November 17-21! LASC groups across
      the country have been collecting ballots, but we need to
      step up our work during the last two months before the
      Miami ministerial. Your committee can help us make this
      happen! Us the People's Consultation Survey/Ballot to
      educate your community and register opposition!

      http://www.lasolidarity.org/tools/index.htm

      Download, Collect Signature, and Send your Ballots to:
      Mexico Solidarity Network
      1247 E Street, SE
      Washington, DC 20003

      You can also vote online right from the site!!

      Join the historic People's Consultation Campaign to defeat
      the FTAA!