HispanicVista Weekly Digest - COLUMNISTS & COMMENTARIES

  • EditorialOpinion@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 25, 2003
      HispanicVista.com Weekly Digest
      August 25-31, 2003
      <A HREF="WWW.HISPANICVISTA.COM">http://WWW.HISPANICVISTA.COM</A>
      COLUMNISTS & COMMENTARY SECTION
      <A HREF="http://www.hispanicvista.com/html3/082503letters.htm">LETTERS TO EDITOR</A>

      HISPANICVISTA COLUMNISTS
      <A HREF="http://www.hispanicvista.com/html3/082503osio.htm">Who is afraid of big, bad MEChA?</A>
      By Patrick Osio, Jr./HispanicVista.com
      Since California Lt. Governor Cruz Bustamante entered the recall race with
      the "no on the recall, yes on Bustamante for Governor," non-Hispanics/Latinos as
      well as Hispanics/Latinos will be hearing more about the "evil" - the
      anti-American - the soooo scary big, bad MEChA. Up to this point most Americans and a
      huge percentage of Latinos had not even heard of the group, much less afraid
      of it.

      COLUMN OF THE AMERICAS
      <A HREF="http://www.hispanicvista.com/html3/082503coa.htm">Times call for Warrior-Healers</A>
      By Patrisia Gonzales and Roberto Rodriguez
      In society, a warrior is the person charged with the defense of a people,
      community or nation. A warrior prevents harm from visiting a nation's shores. A
      healer is a person who soothes, who fixes, who makes human beings, communities
      and nations whole. A healer brings peace and tranquility to the world.
      <A HREF="http://www.hispanicvista.com/html3/082503contreras.htm">The California Future as Northern Aztlan </A>
      By Raoul Lowery Contreras/HispanicVista.com
      If California Governor Gray Davis' coffin nail, Lt. Governor Cruz Bustamante
      had been a member of the Communist Party U.S.A., it would not have been as
      frightening as his membership in MEChA (Movimiento Estudiantil Chicano de
      Aztlan).
      <A HREF="http://www.hispanicvista.com/html3/082503ybarra.htm">Car 54 Where Are You? </A>
      By Steven J. Ybarra JD/HispanicVista.com
      When I was a kid, there was a television show called "Car 54 Where Are You?"
      about two dufus police officers who were always lost. Without a doubt, the
      police car radio would call out "Car 54 where are you?" at the beginning of every
      show. I have been watching the latest comedy show in California with much
      interest. As a political pundit (it sounds so much better than metiche) I am so
      confused about this whole political process in California that, like the guys
      in the TV show, I am lost.
      <A HREF="http://www.hispanicvista.com/html3/082503maceri.htm">Refusing to Learn English?</A>
      By Domenico Maceri/HispanicVista.com
      The letter to the editor of a Southern California newspaper railed against
      translation services provided by the government because some immigrants "refuse"
      to learn English. I don't know how many immigrants the letter writer has met
      or what kind of research he may have done to reach his conclusion. As an
      immigrant who is well acquainted with many people from other countries, I can say
      categorically that I never met anyone who refused to learn English. Immigrants
      know very well the importance of learning the dominant language of the
      country.

      The Oaxaca Journal
      <A HREF="http://www.hispanicvista.com/html3/082503oaxaca.htm">The U.N. and the E.U. - Moral cowards </A>
      By Fernando Oaxaca/HispanicVista.com
      "The United States is really to blame for everything bad that is going on in
      Iraq and the Middle East." That belief is thrust at us by the behavior of the
      United Nations moral cowards, including certain European Union members that
      objected to the U.S. led Iraqi regime-change from the get-go last spring. Now
      the heavy lifting is over and nearly two hundred American kids and dozens of
      British soldiers have died, and such precious losses, continue in the process of
      Iraq's reconstruction and democratization. These malcontents now feel it is
      only right that the United Nations and its original Security Council nay-sayer
      members should come in to help run things in Iraq and share in the glory‹if the
      US Coalition expects any military or fiscal contribution from them!

      <A HREF="http://www.hispanicvista.com/html3/082503castanon.htm">Si...! Mexico now realizes the value of its runaway children! </A>
      By Ricardo Castañón/HispanicVista.com
      The government of Mexico and its people, both, openly admit the importance of
      the moneys poured into their economy by the (according to Mexico) more than
      thirty million Mexicans living and working in the USA. This income represents
      more than their entire Tourism industry brings in. As easily as that is said,
      this means that all of their hotels, restaurants, shops, airlines, bus and
      train systems, disco-clubs, bars and other entertaining establishments that host
      not only American tourists but from all over the world put together cannot
      match the monetary importance of these remittances; they are second only to their
      oil exports (PEMEX).

      <A HREF="http://www.hispanicvista.com/html3/082503baldwin.htm">CUBA?</A>
      By Richard Baldwin/HispanicVista.com
      This concerns a foreigner who founded a business here in México about 5 years
      ago and recently announced that he was moving his operation to Cuba (Cuba?).
      I wondered why and interviewed him.

      <A HREF="http://www.hispanicvista.com/html3/082503luken.htm">Taking the Mordida out of crime - The Giuliani recipe. </A>
      A Mexican's perspective.
      By Carlos Luken/HispanicVista.com
      Mexico city has been heralded as one of the world's crime ridden capitals and
      even though official statistics may dispute that conclusion when compared to
      other cities, there is little doubt that there is immensely more unreported
      facts to support it than to refute it. Crime has gotten so bad that Mexico City
      officials have boldly sought exterior guidance and solutions.

      ANNOUCEMENT
      <A HREF="http://www.hispanicvista.com/html3/082503ann.htm">ART FOR CHANGE </A>

      COMMENTARY SECTION
      <A HREF="http://www.hispanicvista.com/html3/082503comm.htm">COUNTER POINT AND ANSWER </A>
      Roberto Rodriguez, Column of Americas, was challenged to explain seeming
      contradictions on their stance on racial categorization. Roberto Rodriguez
      answers.
      <A HREF="http://www.hispanicvista.com/html3/082503bc.htm">Chismes de Mi Gallinero No on Recall - Yes on Bustamante - Que Es Esto?</A>
      By Julio C. Calderon
      I am, like many around the state and nation, following this California
      Recall. Now that the candidates are set, I, as a long-time, political junkie, have
      been interested in the developing strategies of this campaign. The Recall is
      unique in that no recall in the history of California has ever gotten this far.
      And it is unique in the two leaders on the "replacement" ballot should Gov.
      Gray Davis not survive the recall. As a long-time Chicano activist, the fact
      that among the two is Lt. Gov. Cruz Bustamante, and with him in that position,
      the prospect of electing a Chicano governor - is appealing.
      <A HREF="http://www.hispanicvista.com/html3/082503cc.htm">UC Website Offers Help to Pay for College</A>
      By Velma Montoya
      Regent of the University of California
      As an overseer of the University of California, UC, I have talked to many
      prospective students and families who are concerned about paying for college. I
      can reassure them the University is committed to serving all eligible students
      regardless of their economic circumstances. There is no better way to
      underscore this point than by giving prospective students real-life examples of how
      some current UC undergraduates are financing their college education.

      <A HREF="http://www.hispanicvista.com/html3/082503dc.htm">Ernesto Vigil thoughts about the "left" or maybe, the Left - an exchange of
      ideas. </A>
      One Sanchez posting states that Chicanos, Chicanas, "Raza" [or whatever]
      should not "turn to European thinkers for [ways to solve] our problems," but it is
      not exactly clear what that means, or why this was seen as being a problem
      within "the Movement" at the time to which the reference is made - or even
      currently…At times like this current one, when the reactionaries in power have
      unleashed a sophisticated propaganda strategy to manipulate perceptions, distort
      and hide facts, and to only deal in lies, sound bites, and photo ops, it seems
      that the National Stupidity Factor rises, the public IQ drops, and "thinkers"
      are more needed than ever (whether Asian, African, "Latino and Latina,"
      working class, female and male, and, yeah, even "European thinkers").

      <A HREF="http://www.hispanicvista.com/html3/082503ec.htm">Remarks of Raul Yzaguirre, NCLR President </A>
      2003 NCLR Annual Conference
      I want to thank the city of Austin and all its citizens for the wonderful
      hospitality they have shown us. You know, the city of Austin is named after
      Stephen Austin who first brought Anglos to what was then Mexico. Now, some of you
      may have deep misgivings about that. But I want you to consider him as a
      possible role model ... he shows us what an undocumented alien can accomplish in
      this great land.

      <A HREF="http://www.hispanicvista.com/html3/082503fc.htm">United States of America: The threat of a bad example</A>
      Amnesty International
      "The very core of American history, law and culture condemns the ideas of
      punishment before trial, denial of due process and secret government by fiat...
      Who is an enemy combatant? Today, it can be anyone the president wants. And
      that is terrifying." A former judge on the Superior Court of New Jersey.

      <A HREF="http://www.hispanicvista.com/html3/082503gc.htm">Tax referendum gives Alabama a chance to change</A>
      By Cynthia Tucker
      If Arnold Schwarzenegger's moderate views are giving Republicans heartburn,
      the tax increase pushed by Alabama Gov. Bob Riley may cause cardiac arrest.
      Riley, a conservative Republican who has long opposed tax hikes, is leading a
      revolutionary campaign to raise his state's total taxes by more than a billion
      dollars while also lowering taxes for the poor.

      <A HREF="http://www.hispanicvista.com/html3/082503hc.htm">Argentina: A new chapter in the search for truth and justice</A>
      Amnesty International
      Amnesty International welcomes the decision by the Argentine Senate to
      declare the Full Stop and Due Obedience laws null and void. These laws, also known
      as the amnesty laws, have blocked the investigation of thousands of cases of
      human rights abuses committed during the time of the military governments of
      1976-1983.

      HispanicVista.com
      <A HREF="www.hispanicvista.com">www.hispanicvista.com</A>

      (Commentary/Opinion articles, letters to editor, remarks, and announcements
      are welcomed. Please send to EditorialOpinion@...)

      HISPANICVISTA.COM MISSION STATEMENT
      To generate and publish original editorial content, and relevant news and
      information focused on issues of concern to the burgeoning U.S. Hispanic
      population;
      To promote among all Americans the understanding of and appreciation for
      Hispanic cultural values and traditions;
      To further the interest and participation among Hispanics in the American way
      of life and political process;
      To eradicate the evil forces of bigotry and prejudice; and,
      To build bridges of goodwill and mutual respect between the United States and
      its neighbors.
      HISPANICVISTA.COM EDITORIAL POLICY
      HispanicVista is a forum for the discussion of issues and ideas as expressed
      in our Mission Statement without prejudice to political affiliations or
      diversity of opinions.

      (If you wish to be removed from the HispanicVista Weekly Digest mailing list,
      please REPLY to this message writing REMOVE on Subject box.)

      Patrick Osio, Jr.
      Editor
      HispanicVista.com
      EditorialOpinion@...