6/20-7/5 Los Angeles Peace And Social Justice Convergence

    Message 1 of 2 , May 8 5:39 AM
      6/20-7/5 Los Angeles Peace And Social Justice Convergence
      June 20 - July 25, Los Angeles, CA
      Webpage: http://www.pjfest.net
      e-mail: PJFest@...
      Tel: (213)413-1778

      Organized by: PeaceNoWar.net, ActionLA
      http://www.ActionLA.org
      http://PeaceNoWar.net

      With the war in Iraq now become the occupations of Iraq, and the Bush regime's continue declare the war against the World. Our struggle will be never finished.

      We have talking about what will be our long-term strategy for the peace and social justice movements, we'll focus on:
      1) The upcoming President elections of 2004
      2) No US Occupations of Iraq and Afghanistan.
      3) No to Plan Colombia
      4) Bring the war money back to the community, we demand: books not bombs, foods not guns, jobs not wars.

      Our coalition in Los Angeles has decided to call for a major 2-weeks long Peace and Social Justice Convergence in Los Angeles to focus on how to link global struggles to the community issues, and demand "Take Back the World, Take Back Our Community!"

      This two-week Festival will include a vast array of cultural-political events throughout the diverse communities of Southern California and will merge art, dance, theater, music, film/video, and photography, with political analysis and action. It will involve and reflect the rainbow of ethnic and racial diversity in our community.

      Some events will be big, like Sol festival on June 21 (independent from the convergence but we work together), will attract 10,000-15,000 people in LA's Macarthur Park, the possible major speaker's night will be attract around 1000 people, and film festival, so far, major participate organizations include: Sol foundation, Coalition of World Peace, ICUPJ, SEIU local 434B and many others.

      For more Information, or if you are interests to propose your events, please contact: Lee Siu Hin e-mail: PJFest@...
      Web: www.PJFest.net

      Included in this Festival, for example, are:

      --- June 21 Sol Festival at Macathur Park: Major Concert featuring musical and performance artists from diverse communities, organized separate by Sol foundation. The concert will feature music from a wide range of diverse communities: hip-hop, rap, Latin Salsa, rock, performance art, ethnic & folklorico dancing, spoken word, etc.

      --- June 24 Youth Convergence which will bring young people from all over the Southland to exchange organizing ideas, strategize and share analysis of the current militarism dominating our society while civil and human rights---and human needs----are all jeopardized.

      --- 4th of July Peace & Justice Demonstration -- This mobilization will ask the basic questions: what IS patriotism? is it patriotic to stand by and watch the Bill of Rights gutted? What are our responsibilities when a government begins to represent a small minority of the U.S. population?

      --- Nights of Teach-In's and Forums on a variety of issues, civil and human rights, immigrants' rights, Healthcare Not Warfare, reprioritizing the federal budget away from militarism to human needs, defense of workers and unions, defense of the gay, Lesbian, bi-sexual and transgender community, and score of other issues.

      --- Forums and events in the Filipino, Korean, Central American, African American and other communities focusing on the issues those and other communities put on the "front burner" for attention, photo and art exibits.

      --- Conference on skill-sharing, movement building.

      --- Film Festival: films in various venues throughout the city focusing on a broad array of issues, including youth, peace, immigrant rights,, workers' rights, GLBT issues, etc.

      --- June 29 Peace and Social Justice Book Fair.

      --- Street Theater and Performance Art.

      ActionLA will be coordinate with the  annual---and highly successful---SOLFEST, at MacAthur Park on June 21.

      OBJECTIVES OF THE FESTIVAL: Building a stronger movement through networking and cooperative collaboration, linking issues of war and peace to the issues of the community, building a day-by-day strategy which allows for instant contact between diverse groups and communities and consolidating the often isolated communities into a closer working relationship with others. ActionLA invites your active participation in the planning.

      **Proposed schedule Peace and Social Justice Convergence**
      (This is an initial schedule and still subject to change)

      6/20 (Fri): Opening Ceremony

      6/21 (Sat) : Sol Festival (all Day at Macathur Park)

      6/22 (Sun): West Hollywood Gay Pride Parade

      LGBT Film Night (suggest film: Harvey Milk Story, Location/bottom-liner, TBA)

      6/23 (Mon): Central American Struggle Night (location: CARECEN, bottom-liner: Don White)

      6/24 (Tue): Youth Conference 12:00 - 5:00 PM (location: Arts in Action, bottom-liner: J. Lee)

      YOC, QYCCA panel 6:00 PM - 10:00 PM (location: Luna Sol Café, bottom-liner: J. Lee)

      6/25 (Wed): Colombia Peace Night (location: Arts in Action, Bottom-liner: Patrick Bonner)

      6/26 (Thu): Spoken word/open mike night 8:00 PM - 11:00 PM (Luna Sol Café or Mama Hot Tamale)

      6/27 (Fri): Political Prisoner Night 7:00 PM - 11:00 PM (location: Arts in Action, bottom-liner: Michael)

      6/28 (Sat): Palestine Struggle Night (location: TBA, Women in Black, Palestine Aid Society)

      6/29 (Sun): 12:00 PM - 6:00 PM Peace and Justice Book Fair (location: Arts in Action)

      6:00 PM - 11:00 PM Peace Conference-Iraq, health care not warfare
      \(location, Arts in Action, bottom-liner: Coalition for World Peace)

      6/30 (Mon): Theater Night (Location: TBA, Bottom-liner: Cascy McFall)

      7/1 (Tue): Philippino Struggle Night (location: Philippino Workers Center, bottom-liner: Jenn True)

      7/2 (Wed): Media Education? (location: TBA, Bottom-liner: FPNN)

      7/3 (Thu): Immigrant Struggle Night (location: TBA)

      7/4 (Fri): Farce of July at east LA

      Fourth of July Mobilization

      Patriotic Act Discussion (Location/Bottom-liner: TBA)

      7/5 (Sat): Closing ceremony

      Peace, No War
      War is not the answer, for only love can conquer hate
      Not in our Name! And another world is possible!

      Information for antiwar movements, news across the World, please visit:
      http://www.PeaceNoWar.net

      Please Join PeaceNoWar Listserv, send e-mail to: mailto:peacenowar-subscribe@...

      *PeaceNoWar is an activist project of ActionLA
      e-mail: ActionLA@...

      Please join our ActionLA Listserv

      Message 2 of 2 , May 16 10:51 AM
        6/20-7/5 Los Angeles Peace And Social Justice Convergence
        June 20 - July 25, Los Angeles, CA
        Webpage: http://www.pjfest.net
        e-mail: PJFest@...
        Tel: (213)413-1778

        **Artists, musicians, please come to our volunteer and planning meeting**
        **Sunday, May 18 7-9 PM at Arts in Action, 1919 W. 7th Street 4th floor**

[...]

        6/25 (Wed): Peace Film FEstival (Arts in Action)