4/27 7 PM: Planning Meeting for ActionLA Peace & Socail Justice Convergence

    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 25 3:14 AM
      4/27 7 PM: Planning Meeting for ActionLA Peace & Socail Justice Convergence
      Sunday, April 27 7:00 - 9:00 PM
      Arts in Action
      1919 W. 7th Street, 4th Floor
      Los Angeles
      For more information, call: (626)695-3405

      **meeting for volunteers, endorsers, artists, performers as well as proposals for programs**

      ActionLA Peace & Socail Justice Convergence
      June 20 - July 25, Los Angeles, CA
      Webpage: http://www.pjfest.net
      e-mail: PJFest@...
      Tel: (213)413-1778

      From: PeaceNoWar.net, ActionLA
      http://www.ActionLA.org
      http://PeaceNoWar.net

      This is a two-week Festival will include a vast array of cultural-political events throughout the diverse communities of Southern California and will merge art, dance, theater, music, film/video, and photography, with political analysis and action. It will involve and reflect the rainbow of ethnic and racial diversity in our community.

      We are looking for volunteers, endorsers, artists, performers as well as proposals for programs, please come to the planning meeting for PJ Fest.

      Thanks.

      Lee Siu Hin
      ActionLA, PeaceNoWar
      ActionLA Peace & Socail Justice Convergence
      Peace, No War
      War is not the answer, for only love can conquer hate
      Not in our Name! And another world is possible!

      Information for antiwar movements, news across the World, please visit:
      http://www.PeaceNoWar.net

      Please Join PeaceNoWar Listserv, send e-mail to: mailto:peacenowar-subscribe@...

      *PeaceNoWar is an activist project of ActionLA
      e-mail: ActionLA@...

      Please join our ActionLA Listserv

      What is PJ Fest About?

      With the war in Iraq now become the occupations of Iraq, and the Bush regime's continue declare the war against the World. Our struggle will be never finished.

      We have talking about what will be our long-term strategy for the peace and social justice movements, and we will focus on:
      1) The upcoming President elections of 2004
      2) No US Occupations of Iraq and Afghanistan.
      3) No to Plan Colombia
      4) Bring the war money back to the community, we demand: books not bombs, foods not guns, jobs not wars.

      Our coalition in Los Angeles has decided to call for a major 2-weeks long Peace and Social Justice Convergence in Los Angeles to focus on how to link global struggles to the community issues, and demand "Take Back the World, Take Back Our Community!"

      This two-week Festival will include a vast array of cultural-political events throughout the diverse communities of Southern California and will merge art, dance, theater, music, film/video, and photography, with political analysis and action. It will involve and reflect the rainbow of ethnic and racial diversity in our community.

      Some events will be big, like Sol festival on June 21 (independent from the convergence but we work together), will attract 10,000-15,000 people in LA's Macarthur Park, the possible major speaker's night will be attract around 1000 people, and film festival, so far, major participate organizations include: Sol foundation, Coalition of World Peace, SEIU local 434B.

      I want to ask organizations to help to organize the program and the logistic for proposed evenings (Date: TBA):

      - Latin American struggles night,
      - Women's Struggles night,
      - Indigenous Rights night,
      - Youth and Children Right's night,
      - Palestine Struggle night,
      - Immigrant Rights night
      - Major speaker night,
      - Photo exhibits,
      - Peace and Justice film festival, and
      - Peace and Justice Book Fair day

      Also, suggestions of some good peace and social justice issues film for the film festival part of the convergence.

      **ActionLA FESTIVAL OF PEACE & SOCIAL JUSTICE**
      June 20 - July 5 2003, Los Angeles, CA
      Proposal

      For more Information, or if you are interests to propose your events, please contact: Lee Siu Hin
      e-mail: PJFest@...

      ActionLA, its affiliates and supporters are presenting to the movement and to the community a proposal for a two-week Festival For Peace & Social Justice presently scheduled for Thursday, June 19, 2003 through Friday, July 5, 2003.

      This two-week Festival will include a vast array of cultural-political events throughout the diverse communities of Southern California and will merge  art, dance, theater, music, film/video, photography, with political analysis and action. It will involve and reflect the rainbow of ethnic and racial diversity in our community.

      Included in this Festival, for example, are:
      --- Major Concert featuring musical and performance artists from diverse communities [June 21 (date tentative)] The concert(s) will feature music from a wide range of diverse communities: hip-hop music, rap, Latin Salsa, rock, performance art, ethnic & folklorico dancing, spoken word, etc.

      ---Youth Convergence which will bring young people from all over the Southland to exchange organizing ideas, strategize and share analysis of the current militarism dominating our society while civil and human rights---and human needs----are all jepordized.

      ---4th of July Peace & Justice Demonstration -- This mobilization will ask the basic questions: what IS patriotism? is it patriotic to stand by and watch the Bill of Rights gutted? What are our responsibilities when a government begins to represent a small minority of the U.S. population?

      ---Teach-In's and Forums on a variety of issues. civil and human rights, immigrants' rights, Healthcare Not Warfare, reprioritizing the federal budget away from militarism to human needs, defense of workers and unions, defense of the gay, Lesbian, bi-sexual and transgender community, and score of other issues.

      ---Forums and events in the Filipino, Korean, Central American, African American and other communities focusing on the issues those and other communities put on the "front burner" for attention.

      ---Conference on skill-sharing, movement building.

      ---Five Night Film Festival --- films in various venues throughout the city focusing on a broad array of issues, including youth, peace, immigrant rights,, workers' rights, GLBT issues, etc.

      ---Community Political Photo Exhibit -- a series of photo exhibits featuring the photos of young photographers right from our neighborhoods documenting the Los Angeles experience and the inspiring photos featuring Chiapas, El Salvador, Colombia, Cuba, Puerto Rico and other locations.

      ---Street Theater and Performance Art.

      ---and more events and activities.

      ActionLA will be coordinate with the  annual---and highly successful---SOLFEST, at MacAthur Park on June 21.

      OBJECTIVES OF THE FESTIVAL: Building a stronger movement through networking and cooperative collaboration, linking issues of war and peace to the issues of the community, building a day-by-day strategy which allows for instant contact between diverse groups and communities and consolidating the often isolated communities into a closer working relationship with others. ActionLA invites your active participation in the planning.

      Contact Siu Hin Lee phone: (213)413-1778, e-mail: PJFest@...
      Web: www.PJFest.net