How about a link to the burgeoning Wiki?

  • Tom Matelich
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 1, 2001
    • Paul Baxter
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 1, 2001
        Thanks Jeff et al for bringing us the additional resources for Boost. It
        comes at a good time given Boost's continued increase in popularity.

        One thing that needs spelling out is the relationship between the boost web
        site and the wiki one.

        In particular, though I appreciate it is early days, I don't think the wiki
        should be used to duplicate the navigation and content of the main boost
        site. Hence I'm not sure that the navigation bars buy anything (except the
        possibility of being out of sync with the boost site.). Nor do articles that
        just serve as links to the main web site.

        Organised snippets from the mailing list (ala cpptips with the guru/C++
        newsgroups) and additional real user FAQs would seem the most useful content
        to add to Wiki?

        Comments?

        Paul Baxter

        > http://www.crystalclearsoftware.com/cgi-bin/boost_wiki/wiki.pl

      • Jim.Hyslop
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 1, 2001
          Paul Baxter [SMTP:paul_baxter@...] wrote:
          > Organised snippets from the mailing list (ala cpptips with the guru/C++
          > newsgroups) and additional real user FAQs would seem the most useful
          content
          > to add to Wiki?
          That's the beauty of a Wiki: do you see something missing? *You* can add it!

          --
          Jim
        • Jeff Garland
          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 1, 2001
            > Thanks Jeff et al for bringing us the additional resources for Boost. It
            > comes at a good time given Boost's continued increase in popularity.

            My pleasure. It's an easy way for me to give back.

            > One thing that needs spelling out is the relationship between the boost web
            > site and the wiki one.

            Agreed. The Wiki came out of a discussion about user support and as such I
            thought the main aim was to allow users to experiment, organize tips, etc. Of
            course there is nothing stopping library developers from using the collaborative
            facilities instead of trying to do everything via the mailing list and the
            files.

            > In particular, though I appreciate it is early days, I don't think the Wiki
            > should be used to duplicate the navigation and content of the main boost
            > site. Hence I'm not sure that the navigation bars buy anything (except the
            > possibility of being out of sync with the boost site.). Nor do articles that
            > just serve as links to the main web site.

            I agree that we don't want to try and duplicate the main site content. However,
            we may want to experiment with content that might, as Beman put it, eventually
            become part of the main site. I consider the navigation bar an example of such
            an experiment. I also think we will want lots of links to the main site since
            tutorials and user stories will motivate people to go to the main site and look
            at the "official details". So I don't understand how we can avoid having lots
            of links to the main site. It will be up to the users to keep links correct.

            > Organised snippets from the mailing list (ala cpptips with the guru/C++
            > newsgroups) and additional real user FAQs would seem the most useful content
            > to add to Wiki?

            I agree with both. I (and a few others) have a small start, but it is the boost
            users that will make it useful!

            Jeff
          • Jon Kalb
            Message 5 of 6 , Oct 1, 2001
              I've added a Wiki link to the Group Bookmarks and also a link to the
              FAQ on the Wiki. We need to build that up. :)

              I also added a link to the Group Bookmarks page on the Group home page.

              =====
              Jon Kalb
              Kalb@...

              http://phone.yahoo.com
            • alexy@meta-comm.com
              Message 6 of 6 , Oct 16, 2001
                Jon Kalb wrote:
                > I've added a Wiki link to the Group Bookmarks and also a link to the
                > FAQ on the Wiki. We need to build that up. :)
                >
                > I also added a link to the Group Bookmarks page on the Group home
                > page.

                IMO, a Wiki link in a footnote of every message in this list would be
                great too.

                Aleksey