Re: My First Boomerang-Paint-Primer(s)

  • Ryan H Pek
    Message 1 of 14 , Jul 22, 2013
    Pat: thanks for the scraping tip, I tried it and I think it works great!
    It probably produces a more even edge than filing.

    earthfoote: you're right about the files. I couldn't find a rough cut.
    I've got a half-round bastard cut file which was the roughest I found.

    While shaping the rangs, the idea of using power tools became really
    tempting. I'll probably be sticking to handtools for now but I might
    consider powertools sometime in the future. What handheld/portable type
    tools would you guys recommend? I know a scroll saw or band saw would be
    perfect for cutting but I don't think I'll even be able to find one here
    in SG. Would a jigsaw be precise enough for cutting? And for
    sanding/filing, which 1 tool would be the most appropriate?

    On a side note, I'm finally done with the paint job! 2 finished rangs,
    LH and RH (:

    Ryan
  • earthfoote
    Message 2 of 14 , Jul 22, 2013
      A bandsaw is wonderful, especially if you get into heavy boom making and want to stack material to cut out several identical blanks at once.  For the rest of us, a decent jigsaw is great....look for one that has lower blade support (a roller of some kind as well as side guide blocks similar to what's on a bandsaw)...then pick a good blade for what you're cutting.  Scroll saws will work if you get a stout blade and work slowly with patience, but I'd pick a jigsaw over a scrollsaw any day.

      For shaping and sanding, one tool really won't quite cut it, but the best effort to that end would be a strong bench grinder that you outfit with sanding drums.  It can get a bit expensive, but it's comfortable to use, relatively safe to operate, and it gives you tons of options.  The only place it falls short is with inner elbows that are extremely tight...but you can shape or touch those up easily by hand.

      I always used an angle grinder for shaping and a palm sander (nothing beats the Porter Cable 330....very VERY much worth the expense).  With those two it was very rare that I needed to use any hand tools.  You can get both of these tools and their accessories for considerably less than you could buy a decent bench grinder/drum setup (unless maybe you already have a good shop quality grinder at your disposal).

      Another option is a router table with a stout 2hp+ router outfitted with some roundover and panel raising bits.  That's a professional crafter's dream with most boom shapes, but it's also expensive (especially if you have some custom bits made) and it takes a lot of extra work to create templates and/or jigs for repeatability.  It doesn't quite have the flexibility for the home crafter that other methods do.

      I suppose if you had to pick one tool for shaping, I'd go with the angle grinder.  With experience and/or the right grit disc, you can get a very acceptable finish using only that tool...but it will take experience and care, and they are unforgiving of errors.   Then you could finish sand quickly by hand if desired, or just cover up the roughness with paint, clearcoat, etc.    There are a handful of us that love the angle grinder, but it's not for everyone.

      Message 3 of 14 , Jul 23, 2013
        Ryan,

        for shaping, you might also consider a power file (a small, hand-held belt
        sander). These are relatively cheap, and portable, which may or may not be
        an argument depending on shop space :-).

        Regards,
        Christoph