GCN rev.: Kindle has form & function, but isn't quite ready for government

  • J Flenner
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 3, 2008
      http://www.1105newsletters.com/t.do?id=936234:1657520

      03/03/08 | GCN (Govt. Computer News)

      Light reading
      GCN Lab review: Kindle has form and function, but isn't quite ready for government

      By Carlos A. Soto, Special to GCN

      Amazon says the new type of electronic-paper display on its electronic book, Kindle, provides a sharp, high-resolution screen that “looks and reads like real paper.” After using Kindle for a month, I think they are half-right.

      Text is sharp, clear and easy on the eyes, like a newspaper. But images and pictures appear to belong on a child’s toy rather than in an executive’s Sunday Times.

      There aren’t a lot of other bad things to say about Kindle except for the price. At $399, this e-book is overpriced even if Amazon is marketing it to pioneering early adopters.

      If you’re like me, a recovering early-adopter, you’ll find it wise to wait a few more months — I am sure the price will drop at least 20 percent. ...

      (snip)
       .
       .
       .