Re: [Bookfutures] Searching in .pdf files

  • J Flenner
    Message 1 of 8 , May 3 6:42 PM

      I have a Mac, if that matters. On it, there are 2 ways:
      1) Keybd shortcut: clover-leaf and f
      2) Under File, click "Find on this page" or "Find Again" or "Find Previous"

      Message 2 of 8 , May 3 6:49 PM
        Oops! my bad. I looked at another app's menu. Guess it's time for bed.

                Does anyone know how to search for a word of phrase in .pdf files?

        Allen

      • Allen Kleiman
        Message 3 of 8 , May 4 3:37 AM

          Thank you so much for you reply. However this standard method does not work. Sometimes the first requested entry is found but rarely. On the second request it is not clear whaere the thing goes. The find routine works fine in every other kind of file, e.g., .doc, .txt, etc.

          Allen

          Oops! my bad. I looked at another app's menu. Guess it's time for bed.

          Message 4 of 8 , May 4 7:03 AM
            Am I remember incorrectly? Or can't you turn off the ability to search
            in .pdf files as one of the DRM "features"?

            In any case, the search ability is dependent on the file being created
            from actual text, and not an image.

            .pdf files that are made up only of images of pages can't be searched.
            (most of the Google Books .pdf files you can download are this way, I
            believe). However, I should mention that some .pdf files contain both
            images of the original pages and invisible text laid out over the
            images so that the words are in the same location as the corresponding
            word in the image. Such files can be searched.

            I guess what I'm saying is simply that you can't always search .pdf files.

            Kent

            --- In Bookfutures@yahoogroups.com, "Allen Kleiman" <allenk@...> wrote:

            > Thank you so much for you reply. However this standard method does
            not work.
            > Sometimes the first requested entry is found but rarely. On the second
            > request it is not clear whaere the thing goes. The find routine
            works fine
            > in every other kind of file, e.g., .doc, .txt, etc.
            >

            > Allen
            >

            > _____

          • Allen Kleiman
            Message 5 of 8 , May 4 8:23 AM

              Hi Kent:

              I am not sure how Adobe categorizes the files but if I scan a file with, e.g., ABBYY fine Reader and ask for a .pdf file I get a file that I can read in my Adove v.8 reader, scroll in it, print it, and a few other tasks but not edit.

              However I cannot search for a word or phrase.

              But if I use the very primitive Find command that comes with Microsoft Windows I can search the file (eternally) for a word of phrase but of course I cannot go to the next occurance!!!

              It seems that this is a user friendly omission in the program.

              I had similar problems with reading and transliterating Greek alphabet symbols.

              I have been a programmer for 30 years and if I could see I would have no trouble going to the binary level to solve my problems. However that is not the case and I cannot find anyone else that thinks these are important features.

              Allen

              Am I remember incorrectly? Or can't you turn off the ability to search
              in .pdf files as one of the DRM "features"?

              In any case, the search ability is dependent on the file being created
              from actual text, and not an image.

              .pdf files that are made up only of images of pages can't be searched.
              (most of the Google Books .pdf files you can download are this way, I
              believe). However, I should mention that some .pdf files contain both
              images of the original pages and invisible text laid out over the
              images so that the words are in the same location as the corresponding
              word in the image. Such files can be searched.

              I guess what I'm saying is simply that you can't always search .pdf files.

              Kent

              --- In Bookfutures@ yahoogroups. com, "Allen Kleiman" <allenk@...> wrote:

              > Thank you so much for you reply. However this standard method does
              not work.
              > Sometimes the first requested entry is found but rarely. On the second
              > request it is not clear whaere the thing goes. The find routine
              works fine
              > in every other kind of file, e.g., .doc, .txt, etc.
              >

              > Allen
              >

              > _____

            • Nick Hodson
              Message 6 of 8 , May 6 4:53 AM
                Hi, Allen:

                I have just checked what happens when you get ABBYY FineReader to write a PDF from the pages it has just OCRed. It seems to me that you get a very nice looking product that is perfectly searchable. If you ask for a word or phrase you get a table on the screen containing all the occurrences, with their contexts. You can click on any of these, and the PDF display will jump to the appropriate page, with the phrase highlighted. I can't see any problem in this. If you want to apply corrections, you need to do them at the stage between reading the page images and writing the PDF. You can't do them in the actual PDF.

                Of course, reading through the PDF will show you where corrections need to be made. When you have done all the corrections you need, you can re-make the PDF.

                Personally I do not work this way at all. I get FineReader to write all the pages out as individual HTML items. These are then processed in such a way as to create text files, one for each chapter, with markup, including page markers. These are then tested in a number of ways, more than two dozen of them, and corrections applied. The result can be made into a number of products. For example I have posted over 450 19th and early 20th century novels onto Project Gutenberg, with the much appreciated help of Dr David Widger. Most of these are also available as PDFs of the original scans, on Internet Archive, and _all_ of them as searchable PDFs, also on Internet Archive. HTML versions are available both on PG and IA, and a version ready to read on yBook can be found on IA, where there is also a version prepared for TextAloud. If you want to read these books on your mobile phone or other device they are nearly all to be found on Mobipocket. Finally, I have made some of these books into CHM files, but I am not quite sure about the future of this format for e-books, though plainly it is great for help files. I used to make LIT files, but for reasons I do not understand, they don't seem to be in favour.

                Allen, if there is anything I can do to help, please let me know.

                Kind regards to everyone involved in e-book making.

                Nick Hodson
                London, England, United Kingdom

                Am I remember incorrectly? Or can't you turn off the ability to search
                in .pdf files as one of the DRM "features"?

                In any case, the search ability is dependent on the file being created
                from actual text, and not an image.

                .pdf files that are made up only of images of pages can't be searched.
                (most of the Google Books .pdf files you can download are this way, I
                believe). However, I should mention that some .pdf files contain both
                images of the original pages and invisible text laid out over the
                images so that the words are in the same location as the corresponding
                word in the image. Such files can be searched.

                I guess what I'm saying is simply that you can't always search .pdf files.

                Kent

                --- In Bookfutures@ yahoogroups. com, "Allen Kleiman" <allenk@...> wrote:

                > Thank you so much for you reply. However this standard method does
                not work.
                > Sometimes the first requested entry is found but rarely. On the second
                > request it is not clear whaere the thing goes. The find routine
                works fine
                > in every other kind of file, e.g., .doc, .txt, etc.
                >

                > Allen
                >

                > _____

              • Kent Larsen
                Message 7 of 8 , May 6 7:31 AM
                  Allen, this sounds to me like a technical support problem..

                  I don't know if it is a problem with ABBY Fine Reader or with Adobe or
                  with the combination of the two. But it does sound like it isn't
                  working the way it is supposed to work.

                  See if you can call someone's tech support, or get someone to do it
                  for you.