Re: Trading BookCrossing Books To Used Book Store

  • Karen
    Message 1 of 25 , Aug 1, 2003
      I just have one comment about this. I'm an American living in The
      Netherlands. I feel a bit strange leaving English books "in the wild"
      because I don't know if the person who picks it up will be able to
      read English. I'd rather take my English books to the used bookstore
      so that at least the person who buys it will read it. I know the
      purpose is to give books "freely" but it's also to get the books
      read. I realize this is not the same situation with those of you who
      live in the States.

      Karen

      --- In BookCrossing@yahoogroups.com, Kalipriestess
      <kalipriestess@c...> wrote:
      > At 04:09 PM 07/31/2003 +0000, Granny Coy wrote:
      > >My personal Opinion:
      > >1. Label them with BCID # and internet address only.
      > >2. Release them into the wild.
      >
      > I think I agree. I feel weird about BC books going to a book
      *store*. I
      > don't want someone to buy it. That defeats the whole purpose of
      > BookCrossing. The philosophy is FREE books. I don't understand the
      idea of
      > taking them to used bookstores. Maybe I'm missing something.
      >
      > Kali
      >
      > ::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
      :::::::::::::::
      > "Instant Karma's gonna get you...
      > Come and get your share..."
      > http://www.bookcrossing.com/mybookshelf/kalipriestess
      > ::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
      :::::::::::::::
    • Amanda Winkworth
      Message 2 of 25 , Aug 1, 2003
        The philosophy is FREE books. I
        > don't understand the
        > idea of
        > > taking them to used bookstores.

        My personal interpretation of the philosophy is that
        it's about sharing books, and charting the journey.
        Some of my books are released completely wild, some
        are released to a friend's used bookstore. She and I
        trade our own books all the time, and I still give her
        a lot of books, some journalled and some not. Used
        bookstores are often the best places for books to go
        because they WON'T be thrown out (unless really,
        really tatty or unsaleable) and I know her prices are
        extremely reasonable.
        However, I wouldn't send anybody else's books to the
        store - if I paid good money for the book then it is
        my decision how it should start its journey, if it was
        originally someone else's purchase then I consider it
        on loan to me until it passes to the next person and
        the original purchaser is still the moral owner of the
        book. For that reason, I don't put a 'Read and
        Release' label in the books i give to my friend - if
        the next person has paid for the book then it is
        theirs and totally up to them whether to join
        BookCrossing or not, or pass the book on or not. I
        still can't get anybody to journal the wild releases
        I've made, though - bookstore or not :(
        Amanda aka puppymummy

        http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com
      • Jen Guyer
        Message 3 of 25 , Aug 1, 2003
          >> My personal interpretation of the philosophy is that it's about sharing
          books, and charting the journey. <<

          I agree. In the FAQs it says that Ron started the site because he wanted to
          *track* something like people track dollars. People don't give away all
          their $ bills! But he also wanted to encourage us to share them. So yes we
          are encouraged to give them away. So most of our books should be set
          literally free. But I think the main idea is just to track the life of your
          book. Whatever path it takes. As long as they take a journey it doesn't
          matter how they do it. If the whole idea of BookCrossing was only about
          being a free clearing house, then people shouldn't care when some inactive
          person asks for 10 books! But that's not what its about. It's about not
          hoarding our books and tracking them once they leave our hands and sharing
          our thoughts about them.

          JMHO.

          Jen

        • Laurie Shallah
          Message 4 of 25 , Aug 1, 2003
            As someone who admitted to journaling books I traded in to the used book
            store as �wild releases� you all obviously know where I stand on the
            issue. I used to hoard most of my favorites books, kept them all to my
            greedy little self and wouldn�t dream of sending them off to anyone. A
            few even sat on my bookshelf collecting dust for almost 13 years. Since
            I�ve discovered bookcrossing I�ve started all sorts of rings and am
            having so much fun sharing and reading all of the comments on them. I
            also find myself anxious to offer a book up to fellow bookcrossers as
            soon as I finish because I enjoy the feedback so much and I�m finding
            myself with very little left to trade in to the UBS. Still, when I find
            myself with a bunch of left over books (or returns from my rings) I will
            more than likely trade them in to the UBS for a piddly amount of credit
            so that I can buy more books to share with other like-minded readers. I
            see nothing wrong with this as I know my books are in a safe place and,
            in my eyes, are still out in the wild. One of my bookstore turn-ins
            received a journal entry 6 months after I released it (and traveled
            halfway across the US). As a result, bookcrossing.com gained a brand
            new member and I gained a terrific �catch�. I�d be very disappointed to
            see rules saying that we aren�t allowed to leave registered books at a
            UBS. I�d rather have people leaving them at a UBS, or as a trade,
            ring/ray, RABCK, etc. than have them register hundreds/thousands(!) of
            books without ever releasing a thing anywhere . . . However, I do agree
            that books received from others, whether it be an even trade, RABCK or a
            ray, should be released in �the wild� and not in a UBS. I have one
            sitting in my tbr pile that a generous �crosser sent me and I will leave
            it in a new local caf� when I find some time to read it.
            Laurie ~ HYPERLINK "mailto:lshallah@..."lshallah@...
            http://www.bookcrossing.com/mybookshelf/LaurieS

            ---
            Incoming mail is certified Virus Free.

            ---

          • Kalipriestess
            Message 5 of 25 , Aug 1, 2003
              At 03:28 AM 08/01/2003 -0700, Amanda wrote:
              >My personal interpretation of the philosophy is that
              >it's about sharing books, and charting the journey.

              I don't mean to be argumentative, but you just have to look at the front
              page of the BookCrossing site to see that the whole idea is FREE books. The
              word "free" appears 7 times!!! :)

              Kali

              :::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
              Message 6 of 25 , Aug 1, 2003
                At 10:19 AM 08/01/2003 -0400, Laurie wrote:
                >... I'd be very disappointed to
                >see rules saying that we aren't allowed to leave registered books at a
                >UBS. I'd rather have people leaving them at a UBS, or as a trade,
                >ring/ray, RABCK, etc. than have them register hundreds/thousands(!) of
                >books without ever releasing a thing anywhere . . . However, I do agree
                >that books received from others, whether it be an even trade, RABCK or a
                >ray, should be released in "the wild" and not in a UBS...

                Regardless of my opinion on releasing them in UBS, I'm sure BookCrossing
                will never have those types of rules! And I'm very glad! I'm just a person
                who tends to have opinions on everything (usually strong ones!). And I like
                to debate, but that doesn't mean I want to enforce them on others,
                especially in a group like BookCrossing, which to me really celebrates
                diversity.

                Kali

                :::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
                "Instant Karma's gonna get you...
                Come and get your share..."
                http://www.bookcrossing.com/mybookshelf/kalipriestess
                :::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
              • mellion108
                Message 7 of 25 , Aug 5, 2003
                  "Gina DeLillo" <gina0503@y...> wrote:
                  > Ok, I know we have had this discussion before, but I'm going to the
                  > used book store today and I plan on trading some books. What's the
                  > rule, wild release or journal entry? I'm not putting any "free"
                  > stickers on them, just the ID and the web addy for BC....Sorry for
                  > the spazy-ness. Between the trip to the bookstore and 3 cups of
                  > coffee I'm wired....G.

                  I'm sure this has been answered a blue-billion times, but that never
                  stopped me from opening my big mouth before. ;-)

                  I have used some of my BC books for trade at used bookstores. I don't
                  use books that other bookcrossers have sent me--I try to make sure
                  that those go to another b'crosser or out in a wild release. But if
                  they are books of mine that I've registered, I don't think it matters
                  what I do with them. I have to periodically go through and clean out
                  some of the stacks of books that keep accumulating, so I trade at the
                  ubs. Of course, that doesn't resolve the problem of "too" many books
                  since I get more books, but at least they are different books!

                  -Melissa
                  (mellion108)