Re: [BookCrossing] Walking and Reading

  • Karen Vella
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 1, 2003
      --- "OS1(SW) McCaslin" <smilin_heart@...> wrote:
      > I use to do it all the time when I was in High
      > School. I got really good at it. I didn't walk
      into things. I figured out just how to hold the book
      so that I could use my peripheral vision and could see
      > around the book. It's definitely something that
      takes talent and a lot of practice.

      > Blessed Be
      > Sabrina...

      I also did this in high school in South Florida. Thank
      goodness for peripheral vision. I was reading and
      walking home from the bus stop. And then I saw it. One
      step away from a snake! I stopped, let the snake pass
      and then resumed walking/reading.

      =====

      Got books? Set them free http://www.bookcrossing.com/referral/Sissyrun

      Got cheese? http://www.vellacheese.com

      http://calendar.yahoo.com
    • Pete
      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 7, 2003
        I do this while driving, but ya hafta be a little quicker. I'm
        getting older and slower so I tend to do it less-unless it's a map no
        less: not that I look at one of *those* that often :)

        --- In BookCrossing@yahoogroups.com, Karen Vella <sissyrun2@y...>
        wrote:
        > --- "OS1(SW) McCaslin" <smilin_heart@y...> wrote:
        > > I use to do it all the time when I was in High
        > > School. I got really good at it. I didn't walk
        > into things. I figured out just how to hold the book
        > so that I could use my peripheral vision and could see
        > > around the book. It's definitely something that
        > takes talent and a lot of practice.
        > >
        > > Blessed Be
        > > Sabrina...
        >
        > I also did this in high school in South Florida. Thank
        > goodness for peripheral vision. I was reading and
        > walking home from the bus stop. And then I saw it. One
        > step away from a snake! I stopped, let the snake pass
        > and then resumed walking/reading.
        >
        > =====
        >
        > Got books? Set them free
        http://www.bookcrossing.com/referral/Sissyrun

        > Got cheese? http://www.vellacheese.com

        > http://calendar.yahoo.com
      • Ontario Emperor
        Message 3 of 8 , Jun 7, 2003
          --- In BookCrossing@yahoogroups.com, "OS1(SW) McCaslin"
          <smilin_heart@y...> wrote:
          > I use to do it all the time when I was in High School. I got
          really good at
          > it. I didn't walk into things. I figured out just how to hold the
          book so
          > that I could use my peripheral vision and could see around the
          book. It's
          > definitely something that takes talent and a lot of practice.

          I would think it would be hard to do this IN high school, with all
          the crowds in the halls. Or were you good enough to do this in
          crowds, also?
        • Corina M.
          Message 4 of 8 , Jun 7, 2003
            I think what was meant by 'in high school' was while
            studying in high school (as a period of time), not in
            the building itself. :0)

            Chopin

            PS Syssirium : reguarding my previous message, sorry,
            it was all a missunderstanding then. My fault, I do
            apologize.

          • Corina M.
            Message 5 of 8 , Jun 7, 2003
              I'm really really excited, because I've discovered
              Pullman's newest book is out! All those who have read
              and absolutely loved the Golden Compass, The Subtle
              Knife and the Amber Spyglass, you're in for a real
              treat, as you probably know; Lyra's Oxford is already
              in circulation in the usa (not yet here,
              unfortunatly!). For those who have read Pullman's
              other trilogy, it's going to be like the Tin Princess,
              not quite in the trilogy, but that fourth book is
              going to be related to the trilogy. Then, there's the
              New Line Cinema productions (same as Lord of the Ring)
              who are doing two movies as an adaptation of the
              trilogy. Shortly after, we should get the Book of
              Dust we are all waiting for!

              Are you as excited as I am, about this? Does anyone
              have any more details about the content or anything
              else, reguarding Pullman's work? If you haven't read
              the His Dark Materials trilogy, I would highly advise
              you to do so! It's my favorite book in the world!

              Chopin

            • Karen Vella
              Message 6 of 8 , Jun 7, 2003
                Yes, I was referring to high school as a period of
                time. And, apology accepted.
                ~Sissyrun~

                =====

                Don't let your books collect dust! Set them free!! http://www.bookcrossing.com/referral/Sissyrun

                Got cheese? http://www.vellacheese.com

                http://calendar.yahoo.com
              • OS1(SW) McCaslin
                Message 7 of 8 , Jun 7, 2003
                  From: "Ontario Emperor" <oemperor@...>
                  Subject: Re: Walking and Reading

                  I would think it would be hard to do this IN high school, with all
                  the crowds in the halls. Or were you good enough to do this in
                  crowds, also?

                  I never tried while I was actually in the school building. It was a BIG
                  building and we didn't have much time to get from class to class. I could
                  do it walking down the street crowds or no crowds. I still do it from time
                  to time.

                  Blessed Be
                  Sabrina...

                  Very Respectfully,