Paula's January

  • ladyhawk5002001
    Message 1 of 15 , Feb 1, 2013
      I was able to read 6 books this month and listen to an audio for a total of 7! That's good for me. : )

      Battle Hymn of the Tiger Mother - Amy Chua - NF - A - I gave this book an A because although very frustrating and I wanted to choke this woman, it was well written. I feel very sorry for her children.

      The Almond Tree - Michelle Cohen Corasanti - A - This was a very difficult book to read. I won it from goodreads so wanted to get it read and review it. It starts out in the 50's and spans 50 years. It's the story of a Palestinian family who had their own property with orange trees etc. and made a good living. The Israelis came in and took it over and this family was moved to a tiny shack. Ichmad is 12 when his family is displaced and his father put in prison for 14 years. He is now the breadwinner. It was a difficult read because of all we read about Israel and Palestine but after looking up a history, the authors facts are correct. It is a heartrending story but one of hope.

      Hannah: A novel of the Youngest Known Executed Child - Sonya Dickerson - B - This is a novel based on a true story. The facts are muddied because of what is actually known from the case which happened in 1786. It was interesting but a short one. It was free on Kindle.

      Fifty Shades Freed - E L James - C+ - A plot broke out amongst the sex so gave it a C+.

      The Book of the Dead - Preston/Childs - A - Pendergast is in prison and his friends are working on a plan to get him out. In the meantime, Diogenes, his evil brother is concocting a plan to harm a lot of people at once and it centers around an old exhibit being redone for a new grand opening.

      Haunted Presidents: Ghosts in the Lives of the Chief Executives - Charles Stansfield Jr. - NF - A - This was a number of short stories about the ghosts of the Presidents, wives and/or children. It starts with Washington and goes through Reagan. It had a number of interesting tidbits about each President and I enjoyed it.

      AUDIO:

      Thanks for the Memories - Cecelia Ahern - B+ A fun story about Joyce who loses her baby and has a blood transfusion. She can now speak different languages, and knows quite a bit about architecture that she didn't before. When she gets out of the hospital, she bumps into Jason at the hair salon. They feel an instant connection.

      I enjoy listening to these whimsical stories on audio.

      Paula, CO

    • ladyhawk5002001
      Message 2 of 15 , Feb 1, 2014
        I was able to read 3 books and listen to one audio this month for a total of 4:

        Trust Me - Jeff Abbott - Audio - C - This was an ok book.  Parts were better than others but it was a bit confusing as well. It was just ok for me.

        Sucker Punch - Sammi Carter - B+ - I wish there were more of these cozies.

        Christmas Cookie Murder - Leslie Meier - B - These are cozies about a mom of 4 kids who is also an amateur sleuth who gets herself into trouble finding the real murderer.

        Mary Tudor, Princess, Bastard, Queen - Anna Whitelock - NF - B - Whitelock was trying to make Mary not look as bad as she has been portrayed in history but it really didn't change my mind. Mary did have a hard time in life once her mother was removed from being wife of Henry VIII but she was quite ruthless. Whitelock did a good job in her research and a number of letters were used in the book.

        Paula, CO
      • ladyhawk5002001
        Message 3 of 15 , Feb 3
          I think I had the best month ever in reading! I read 9 books, 2 audios and 7 books.  I guess I was making up for all the time I couldn't read when I was working. Starting back to work so will probably slow down now.

          MERCY SNOW - Tiffany Baker - B+ - Audio - I really enjoy this author.  Good story but wrapped up a little quickly
               at the end.  Mercy, her older brother Zeke and younger sister Hannah move back to the old homestead. They
               live in their small motorhome with no running water or lights. The school bus is run off the road and Zeke's
               truck is found crashed into a tree.  He is blamed for the accident where one student is killed and the driver
               is in a coma.  Mercy is trying to find the real person who did it.

          INMATE 1577 - Alan Jacobson - A - The 4th in the Karen Vail series. An old woman is found brutally murdered
              in her home in California. Later, her husband is found dead in a public place. When a second woman is found
               and then her husband, Karen Vail is called in from Virginia to help profile the unsub. The story goes back and
               forth between modern day and 1958, when a woman was murdered and her husband was arrested for it.
               This was my favorite of the series so far.

          ORPHAN TRAIN - Christina Baker Kline - A - Good story that goes back and forth between present day and
               back to when children were shipped to other parts of the country by train for adoption.

          MURDER IN  CHRISTMAS RIVER - Meg Muldoon - B+ - Cinnamon owns a pie shop. Her husband left her for
               her assistant 2 years before and she is just getting her life back together. She hears a dog scratching at her
               door but the dog won't come in out of the cold. She finally follows it when it leaves and finds a dead body
               in the woods behind her shop.  Cute cozy and a short story.

          KILLING PATTON - Bill O'Reilly & Martin Dugard - A - This has been my favorite of the O'Reilly books. I didn't
               know much about Patton going into the book but I found it very interesting and it does raise the question
               of whether Patton was murdered or not.

          CEMETERY DANCE - Preston/Child - A - Someone is murdered (don't want to give it away for those who
               aren't this far in the series) and the neighbors say they saw who did it...but he happened to die the
               previous week!

          VOODOO DREAMS Jewell Parker Rhodes - B - Audio - This was a fairly good story based on the life of
               Marie LaVeau.  It is a novel so it left me pondering how much was based on truth.

          THE FINAL SALUTE - Kathleen Rodgers - A+ - This one will be on my favorites for this year. Maybe because
               I was an Air Force brat and could relate to the life about a pilot and his family.  Very good book.

          THREE, FOUR, BETTER LOCK YOUR DOOR - Willow Rose - B - This is a gruesome murder mystery
               but is easy to figure out early on. People are being murdered by lobotomy, but I had an issue with
               it being done with a scalpel.  It is a page turner though.

          Paula, CO