Paula's October

  • starwarriorsmom@comcast.net
    Message 1 of 10 , Nov 3, 2012
      I read 6 books this month:

      The Uninvited - Jonathan Daniel - B+ - This is pretty much a horror story. I wasn't too sure what it was about but it was a freebie on Kindle. It grabbed me from the first page. The ending was wrapped up a little to quickly and some parts seemed to be repetitious but other than that it was a good story.

      Death of a Neighborhood Witch - Laura Levine - B+ - These are fun reads and this one is no exception. When a washed up hollywood neighbor is murdered in her front yard with her no trespassing sign, Jaine is the prime suspect because the person who did it was wearing a gorilla costume which was Jaine's at the neighborhood party.

      Swan Loch - Randy Mixter - A - Kind of a whimsical mystery paranormal romance. Another freebie from Kindle.

      Killing Lincoln - Bill O'Reilly - A - I loved the way these true characters were given life.

      The Art of Racing in the Rain - Garth Stein - A+ - a reread for me and I still love it! I read it for my f2f group read.

      Abandoned - Amanda Stevens - B+ - A paranormal short story that was a prequel to the Amanda Stevens series.

      Paula, CO

    • ladyhawk5002001
      Message 2 of 10 , Nov 3, 2013
        I had a pretty good month although I've been working a lot.  A couple of them were very short stories so that added to my total of 8 for the month:

        When Darkness Falls - Margaret Daley - C-  - Very short story and I just didn't connect with it.

        Serial - Blake Crouch and JA Konrath - A - short story but I really liked this twisted story. Not for the squeamish.

        Kiss Mommy Goodbye - Joy Fielding - B+ I read this one on the plane to and from Maryland for my grandson's 1st birthday.  Thriller

        Hear the Children Calling - Clare McNally - B+  A story of a mad scientist who invents a fertility drug that gives children super mind powers.

        The Hunters - Jason Pinter - B+ - short story or really a filler to get you interested in the books.  It worked for me and I will look for the books.

        Serena - Ron Rash - B+ (audio)  About a guy who marries a woman and takes her back to his logging business in the early 1900's.  Turns out she is way more ruthless than her husband.

        Letters from a Woman Homesteader - Elinore Pruitt Stewart - A  - a nonfiction about a young woman who travels from Denver to Wyoming with her new employer.  She wants to be a homesteader and buys land adjoining his. Very inspiring story told in letters to her friend in Denver about her life from 1903 to 1913.

        The Lonely Polygamist - Brady Udall - B - An interesting novel about life as a polygamist.  I thought it was more wordy than it needed to be but it was interesting.

        Paula, CO
      • ladyhawk5002001
        Message 3 of 10 , Nov 3, 2014
          I finally have a chance to post my reads for October:

          TOO DARK TO SEE - Jay Chastain - B++ - This book isn't for everybody but I liked it.  It's rather twisted and a trip into madness.  Short story.

          HEART - Dick Cheney - B+ - A friend of ours who had a heart transplant read this book and recommended it to me.  It's not a political book but an interesting book on Cheney's heart problems.  His doctor also writes in more medical terms and the history of heart disease.  I enjoyed it.

          HORNS - Joe Hill - B-/C+ - Thought I'd read a scary book for Halloween but this one wasn't that scary.  I liked the story but felt the ending left me wanting.

          MURDER ON MOLAKA'I - Chris Huges  B+ - This was a cozy mystery by a new to me author.  I liked this one and will read more by this author.

          LIFETIME - Liza Marklund (audio) - B - This is also a new to me author.  I picked it up from the library and learned that the author is from Switzerland.  This was a pretty good mystery.

          Paula, CO