Paula's July

  • starwarriorsmom@comcast.net
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 1, 2012
      I read 5 books this month and listened to 1 for a total of 6:

      Chocolate Dipped Death - Sammi Carter - B
      This is a cute cozy series that takes place in a fictional town in Colorado

      The Midwife's Confession - Diane Chamberlain - A
      Good book about 3 college friends who remain friends through their adulthood.

      Left to Tell - Immaculee Ilibagiza - A - NF - Audio
      Heartwrenching story about a young girl whose family is killed in the Rwanda Holocaust.

      The Eighty-Dollar Champion - Elizabeth Letts - B - NF
      I won this one from goodreads. It's the story of a dutch immigrant who lives in New York and he buys a horse for the riding school where he works.
      He pays $80 for the horse already loaded on the glue factory truck. The horse turns out to be a champion jumper. Takes place in the 50's.

      Sing You Home - Jodi Picoult - B
      Max and Zoe have been trying invitro for a long time and Zoe finally gets pregnant. She loses the baby at her baby shower. She and Max divorce and
      Zoe marries another woman. A court case ensues over the unused embryos.

      Before I Go to Sleep - S J Watson - A+
      Christine wakes up every morning not knowing where she is or who the man is next to her in bed. As she stumbles into the bathroom and looks
      in the mirror, she looks older than she thinks she is. The pictures around the mirror tell her that the man, Ben is her husband. She can retain her
      memory all day but as soon as she sleeps all night, it erases her memory. One morning she gets a call from someone telling her he's a doctor and has
      been seeing her 2 or 3 times a week and she should read her journal after he tells her where to look. In the front under her name it says "DO NOT
      TRUST BEN.

      Paula, CO

    • ladyhawk5002001
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 3, 2013
        I was able to read and/or listen to 5 books this month:

        Abandon - Blake Crouch - B+ story of a ghost town from the 1800's where all the inhabitants disappeared without a trace in 1893. In 2009 six people set out for Abandon, including two guides, married psychic photographers and a historian and his journalist daughter. The story goes back and forth between past and present. This was quite a page turner but I was a bit disappointed in the ending.

        Darling Jim - Audio - Christian Moerk - A - A woman is found dead in her cottage in Dublin by the mail man. He calls the police and a shocking story emerges. Two younger women are found chained in separate rooms, dead, and in the basement a third bed with chains are found but no body. Later a young man who works for the post office finds an envelope in the dead letter bin with one of the dead women's name on it. He discovers it was written by her revealing the story of what happened. I liked this one a lot.

        The Book of Madness and Cures - Regina O'Melveny - C+ - I won this book from goodreads. Gabriella has followed in her father's footsteps and is a doctor in her village in the 1500's. Her father has been gone for 10 years, traveling. The director of the guild comes to Gabriella and tells her that she can no longer practice medicine since she is a woman and her father is gone. She decides to follow the addresses from her father's letters to find him. Her adventures are quite interesting as well as some illnesses and cures she finds along the way but some areas are a little dry and I felt it was a bit long.

        Two Old Women - Velma Wallis - A - This book is based on a legend from the Athabascan people in Alaska about two old women who are abandoned in their old camp because the younger ones are starving and cannot care for them anymore. The old women decide to not give up and the story of their survival is amazing.

        Blood Red Rose - Arthur Wise - B+ - Story of a serial killer of women. There is a family with two young sons as well as two male characters who are the focus of the book. Pretty good thriller.

        Paula, CO