Paula's April

  • starwarriorsmom@comcast.net
    Message 1 of 8 , May 1 7:18 PM
      Good month for me! I read 7 books and listened to 1:

      Visions of Sugar Plums - Janet Evanovich - C

      Crushed - Alan Jacobson - (Kindle) - B

      Lincoln, an Illustrated Biography - Phillip Kunhardt Jr. B+

      Fearless - Max Lucado - C

      The No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency - Alexander McCall Smith - B+

      Bitter Sweet - LaVyrle Spencer - A

      Shoot to Thrill - P. J. Tracy - B+

      AUDIO:

      The Runaway Dolls - Ann Martin - YA - B+

      Paula, CO

    • mukonki.mukonkela
      Message 2 of 8 , May 2 7:55 AM
        that sounds great

        Message 3 of 8 , May 3 9:10 AM
          I read 6 books this month:

          Mockingjay - Suzanne Collins - YA - B - I liked it but not as much as the first two.

          The Bite of the Mango - Mariatu Kamara - NF - A - Good biography about a young girl in Sierra Leone whose village gets raided by rebels and cut off her hands and how her life evolves.

          The Baby Thief - L J Sellers - B+ - Good medical mystery.

          The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks - Rebecca Skloot - NF - A - The story of Henrietta and her family after Henrietta dies of cervical cancer and how the doctors use her cells for many researches done then and now.

          Rick Perry - Vook - NF - This was a very short biography of the Texas Governor

          Half Broke Horses - Jeanette Walls - NF - A - This book is called "A true novel" but it is based on the life of Jeanette's (Glass Castle) grandmother. They classed it as a novel because of the dialogue but the stories were true. I liked it every bit as much as "The Glass Castle" and would have loved to have known her grandmother.

          Paula, CO
          (Scarlett07)

        • ladyhawk5002001
          Message 4 of 8 , May 5 12:50 PM
            A little late posting but I read 6 books and listened to 1 this month for a total of 7 books:

            I Am Nujood, Aged 10 and Divorced - Nujood Ali - NF - B

            An amazing story of a 10 year old girl in Yemen whose father gave her at age 10 to an older man who she had never met in marriage. He was not to
            touch her sexually until she was of age but of course as soon as he got her home he attacked her. It was so sad but Nujood had a lot of courage and
            went to the courts to divorce him. It's written by a journalist who tried to write as a 10 year old, that's why the B rating, it wasn't well done.

            Lulu in Hollywood - Louise Brooks - NF - B

            After reading "The Chaperone" I wanted to know more about Louise Brooks. The first part of her autobiography pretty well follows Chaperone but
            the latter part is more about older movie stars.

            The Good Earth - Pearl S. Buck - A

            Loved this coming of age story of Wang Lung and his wife O-lan in China. The hardships and prosperity made for a good read.

            Spare Change - Bette Lee Crosby - A

            This was a very good read about 2 different lives entirely and then culminating toward the end. Olivia is a single woman with a mind of her own
            and knows exactly what she wants and doesn't want. She doesn't want to get married and definitely doesn't want to have children. She is
            successful in her job and is happy. When she is in her 50's she meets a man who she falls in love with and they marry. Charlie has a grown son and a
            grandson who he's never seen.

            Benjamin and Susanna many miles away get married. Benjamin owns a farm and Susanna has ideas of grandeur of becoming a singer. Benjamin
            is always promising her that he'll take her to NY so she can live her dream but of course something always comes up. She gets pregnant and
            has a son who she doesn't take care of and he becomes self sufficient at an early age. How these two families come together makes for an
            interesting story.

            Behind the Scenes or Thirty Years a Slave, and Four Years in the White House - Elizabeth Keckley - NF - B+

            This is Elizabeth's story of her life but mainly focuses on her friendship with Mary Lincoln.

            Tears on Paper - Patricia Young - NF - B

            This was supposed to be the stories of the grown people who rode the Orphan Trains back in the 1800's and early 1900's. The first 3/4 of the
            book was newspaper articles and back stories which were pretty dry but the last 1/4 were the stories and there were pictures of the kids when
            they were adopted as well as the age they were when they wrote their story. That part was interesting.

            AUDIO:

            The River House - Margaret Leroy - C

            Didn't really like this one all that much. It was rather a cold story about a woman in a mid life crisis having an affair with a detective who was
            supposedly helping her with a case. The affair takes up most of the book and the mystery part is not very long. I didn't really care about the
            characters. I liked Leroy's "Yes, My Darling Daughter" but this did nothing for me.

            Paula, CO