Skip to search.

Paula's November

  • starwarriorsmom@comcast.net
    Message 1 of 11 , Dec 1 2:32 PM
      cannot believe the month is gone already!! It was a very busy one for me but I managed to read 3 books and listen to 2 for a total of 5:

      Pretty Boy Floyd - Larry McMurtry and Diana Ossana B
      This was a novel based on facts about Charles Arthur Floyd. I knew nothing about him going into the book
      but looked him up while reading the book. I thought it was a pretty interesting read and was saddened at
      the end.

      My Name is Mary Sutter - Robin Oliveira A
      I very much enjoyed this book about the Civil War and a young woman who wanted to become a surgeon.
      Mary didn't let anything get in her way to do what she wanted and the scenes of war and the treatments
      were quite horrifying. The author did a good job of bringing the images to mind.

      Bartered Bride - Mary Jo Putney - B+
      Alexandria and her daughter are captured by pirates on their voyage home. They are separated and
      Alex is sold as a slave more than once because she tends to fight her captors.

      Gavin is a sea captain and a trader. He lands on the island where the sultan is trying to woo him into
      working for him. While on a tour, Alex is on the block to be sold once again when she spies Gavin and
      begs him to help her. The sultan will not let him buy her but he has to play a game to win her. If he wins
      he wins freedom for he and Alex but if he loses, Alex will be freed but Gavin must work for the sultan for
      10 years.

      AUDIO:

      Time Travelers Never Die - Jack McDevitt - C+
      While the concept was interesting and many of the travels were interesting, some areas seemed to drag.
      Shel's father has disappeared and is declared dead. At the reading of the will, Shel is directed to a safety
      deposit box and to destroy what is in it. Shel discovers that what exists are portable time machines and
      he and a friend use them to find his father.

      Light in Shadow - Jayne Ann Krentz - A
      Zoe is an interior decorator specializing in Feng Sheu (sp). She is hired by a man who wants his house
      redecorated after telling Zoe that his wife left him. He gives her a tour of his house and when Zoe steps
      into the master bedroom, she hears screaming in the walls. The walls have been repainted stark white,
      the bed is missing and a rug is missing. She suspects foul play and contacts a private investigator to
      see if the woman has used her credit card or been seen elsewhere.

      Paula, CO

    • starwarriorsmom@comcast.net
      Message 2 of 11 , Dec 1 7:33 PM
        I read 5 books this month:

        A Dance in Heather - Julie Beard - B
        Heaven is for Real - Todd Burpo - A
        A Girl Named Zippy - Haven Kimmel - A
        A Drink Before the War - Dennis LeHane - B+
        The Lucky One - Nicholas Sparks - A

        Paula, CO

      • starwarriorsmom@comcast.net
        Message 3 of 11 , Dec 5 9:03 PM
          Another month gone and I almost forgot to post my list for November. I read 5 books and listened to 1 for a total of 6:

          Hard Truth - Nevada Barr - A

          A Lion Called Christian - Anthony Bourke & John Randell - A+

          Smokin' Seventeen - Janet Evanovich - B-

          The Year of Living Biblically - A J Jacobs - B+

          Stranded - Lorena McCourtney - A

          AUDIO :

          The Last Lie - Stephen White - B

          Paula, CO

        • ladyhawk5002001
          Message 4 of 11 , Dec 2 7:49 PM
            I read 6 books this month, 2 were audio:

            The Lodger - Marie Belloc Lowndes  A - This was a story written about Jack the Ripper but from his lodgers point of view. I enjoyed it.

            Hide in Plain Sight - Marta Perry - B+ - Andrea returns home to help her sister and grandmother open a B & B near Amish country.

            Please Look After Mom - Kyung-Sook Shin - B+ (audio) After their Mom disappears, each child and father tell what she meant to them

            The Last Song - Nicholas Sparks - A - Another tear jerker. I love his books.

            Rogue - Danielle Steel - B  - A divorced couple who share 3 children but Maxine takes care of the kids while her ex, Blake, jet sets across the world.

            A Wrongful Death - Kate Wilhelm (audio)  - B -  A woman in hiding from her husband and his family is murdered and Barbara looks into what happened.

            Paula, CO
          • ladyhawk5002001
            Message 5 of 11 , Dec 1 4:28 PM
              I was able to finish 4 this month, 3 books and 1 audio:

              NOTORIOUS NINETEEN - Janet Evanovich - B+ - Always enjoy these books

              BEYOND BELIEF - Jenna Miscavige Hill - A - NF - This was an interesting look at the inner workings of Scientology by the niece of the person who runs it.

              TURKEY DAY MURDER - Leslie Meier - B+ - fun cozy that took place during Thanksgiving so a fun read.

              MAGIC CITY - Jewell Parker Rhodes - Audio - A - This was based on a true event that happened in the 1920's in Oklahoma City. A young white woman worked on her father's farm as well as an elevator operator in a downtown hotel. Joe is a young black man whose father owns a bank but prefers to shine shoes. He rides the elevator instead of taking the stairs one day after Mary has had a traumatic experience. She screams for no reason but everyone thinks Joe has raped her.

              Paula, CO

            • Lorraine
              Message 6 of 11 , Dec 3 9:31 PM

                Good post. Like this version of sharing the books you've read.
                Thanks,
                Lorraine

                Message 7 of 11 , Dec 4 12:40 PM
                  Thanks Lorraine.  : )