Paula's July

  • starwarriorsmom@comcast.net
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 1, 2010
      I read 5 books and listened to 1 audio for a total of 6 this month:

      Thirteen Reasons Why - Jay Asher YA - A
      Very well done book on a teen who lets everyone who played a part in her suicide know why.

      The Postmistress - Sarah Blake B
      This book could have been named a number of things, or even other characters. It wasn't just about the
      Postmistress, but other characters whose lives all converge in one way or another during WWII.

      Reece's Bride - Kat Martin B
      The 2nd in a trilogy about the DeWar brothers and their brides. I liked the story, but the editing was
      atrocious.

      Kisscut - Karin Slaughter - A
      Slaughter does not mince words or actions in her books, she spells it all out for you. These are not
      for people who cannot take violence. This book deals with pedophilia and after the Sheriff has to
      shoot a teen girl before she kills a teen boy, a secret emerges that will change everyone's lives.

      Murder on Lenox Hill - Victoria Thompson - A
      This was a new to me author who I will read more. These are mysteries that take place in victorian times.
      Sarah, the midwife is called in to check out the daughter of a wealthy family. She is 17, but much younger
      in mind. She has been protected by her parents her whole life but somehow, she has gotten pregnant.

      AUDIO:

      Fear - Jeff Abbott B
      A guy in the witness protection program and suffering from PTSD receives a note from his psychiatrist
      saying that she needs his help, she's in danger. He is a retired detective. When he goes to see her, her
      office is blown up and he vows to get to the bottom of who was after her and why.

      Paula, CO

    • starwarriorsmom@comcast.net
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 30, 2011
        I really can't believe this month is gone already! This has become a very busy month for me so my reading suffered a bit, although all reads were good ones, just not much quantity.

        I read 3 books and listened to 1:

        Iron House - John Hart - A+ - I won this book from goodreads which was a great surprise, I never win anything.
        This is about 2 brothers abandoned when very young and taken to an orphanage where Michael the older
        brother was his younger brother's protector from bullies. On the day something horrible happens and Michael
        takes the blame, a woman comes to the orphanage to adopt both boys. She leaves with Julian because
        Michael has run away. The way they are raised and finally get back together makes for a thriller of a
        story. This is my favorite Hart book so far.

        The Heretic's Daughter - Kathleen Kent - A - What a tragic story about one family's story during the Salem
        Witch Trials. Hard to believe how meaness can lead to innocent people being hung because of
        ignorance.

        Doc - Mary Doria Russell - B+ - This was a very good book about the early life of "Doc" Holliday. I rated it a
        B only because I was interrupted so much while reading this book that the continuity was lost for me at
        times, not because of the story. The author did a very good job of bringing Doc and the Earp boys
        to life as well as Doc's illness. So sad that he died so young. I did laugh at one entry from a letter from
        Doc to one of his cousins talking about moving from Leadville, Colorado to Glenwood Springs, Colorado
        saying "maybe the mountain air would help". Leadville is the highest city in the United States at just over
        10,000 feet. I have been there and it is quite beautiful with mountains all around. Glenwood Springs is lower
        in elevation but it does have a lot of hot springs which is mentioned as being harmful to Doc because
        of the sulfur in the air. Many people went to Leadville for a cure in the high mountains.

        AUDIO:

        Murder Shoots the Bull - Anne George - B+ I'm almost to the last of these Southern Sister mysteries and have
        loved every one of them. They make me laugh almost as much as Stephanie Plum.

        Paula, CO

      • starwarriorsmom@comcast.net
        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 1, 2012
          I read 5 books this month and listened to 1 for a total of 6:

          Chocolate Dipped Death - Sammi Carter - B
          This is a cute cozy series that takes place in a fictional town in Colorado

          The Midwife's Confession - Diane Chamberlain - A
          Good book about 3 college friends who remain friends through their adulthood.

          Left to Tell - Immaculee Ilibagiza - A - NF - Audio
          Heartwrenching story about a young girl whose family is killed in the Rwanda Holocaust.

          The Eighty-Dollar Champion - Elizabeth Letts - B - NF
          I won this one from goodreads. It's the story of a dutch immigrant who lives in New York and he buys a horse for the riding school where he works.
          He pays $80 for the horse already loaded on the glue factory truck. The horse turns out to be a champion jumper. Takes place in the 50's.

          Sing You Home - Jodi Picoult - B
          Max and Zoe have been trying invitro for a long time and Zoe finally gets pregnant. She loses the baby at her baby shower. She and Max divorce and
          Zoe marries another woman. A court case ensues over the unused embryos.

          Before I Go to Sleep - S J Watson - A+
          Christine wakes up every morning not knowing where she is or who the man is next to her in bed. As she stumbles into the bathroom and looks
          in the mirror, she looks older than she thinks she is. The pictures around the mirror tell her that the man, Ben is her husband. She can retain her
          memory all day but as soon as she sleeps all night, it erases her memory. One morning she gets a call from someone telling her he's a doctor and has
          been seeing her 2 or 3 times a week and she should read her journal after he tells her where to look. In the front under her name it says "DO NOT
          TRUST BEN.

          Paula, CO

        • ladyhawk5002001
          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 3, 2013
            I was able to read and/or listen to 5 books this month:

            Abandon - Blake Crouch - B+ story of a ghost town from the 1800's where all the inhabitants disappeared without a trace in 1893. In 2009 six people set out for Abandon, including two guides, married psychic photographers and a historian and his journalist daughter. The story goes back and forth between past and present. This was quite a page turner but I was a bit disappointed in the ending.

            Darling Jim - Audio - Christian Moerk - A - A woman is found dead in her cottage in Dublin by the mail man. He calls the police and a shocking story emerges. Two younger women are found chained in separate rooms, dead, and in the basement a third bed with chains are found but no body. Later a young man who works for the post office finds an envelope in the dead letter bin with one of the dead women's name on it. He discovers it was written by her revealing the story of what happened. I liked this one a lot.

            The Book of Madness and Cures - Regina O'Melveny - C+ - I won this book from goodreads. Gabriella has followed in her father's footsteps and is a doctor in her village in the 1500's. Her father has been gone for 10 years, traveling. The director of the guild comes to Gabriella and tells her that she can no longer practice medicine since she is a woman and her father is gone. She decides to follow the addresses from her father's letters to find him. Her adventures are quite interesting as well as some illnesses and cures she finds along the way but some areas are a little dry and I felt it was a bit long.

            Two Old Women - Velma Wallis - A - This book is based on a legend from the Athabascan people in Alaska about two old women who are abandoned in their old camp because the younger ones are starving and cannot care for them anymore. The old women decide to not give up and the story of their survival is amazing.

            Blood Red Rose - Arthur Wise - B+ - Story of a serial killer of women. There is a family with two young sons as well as two male characters who are the focus of the book. Pretty good thriller.

            Paula, CO