New Additions To The TBR Pile In November

  • Sherri
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 1, 2009

      The Gatecrasher by Madeleine Wickham

      Description: Everything's coming up roses for Fleur Daxeny, as she goes through more rich men than she does designer hats....if that's humanly possible. Beautiful, charming, and utterly irresistible, her success at crashing funerals to find wealthy men is remarkable. But behind Fleur’s Harvey Nichols wardrobe, is a woman with a mysterious past.

      Fleur wastes no time in seducing her latest conquest, the handsome and rich widower Richard Favour, and she swoops into his life like a designer-clad tornado. His children are caught up in a whirlwind as their father's new girlfriend descends on the family estate leaving chaos and excitement in her perfume-scented wake. Soon, more than one family member is suspicious of Fleur's true intentions. Fleur is not one to wear her heart on her Chanel sleeves, but she soon finds herself embracing Richard and his lovable family. But just as Fleur contemplates jumping off the gold-digger train for good and enjoying the ride of true love, a long-buried secret from her past threatens to destroy her new family. Fleur is thrown into a race against time to prove herself to Richard before it's too late. Can she trust her heart or will she cut ties and run away as fast as her Prada pumps can take her?

      My Big Fat Supernatural Honeymoon by Jim Butcher, Kelley Armstrong, et al

      Description: What newly married couple doesn't dream of a romantic retreat where they can escape the world for a while—but what happens when supernatural forces intrude on their wedded bliss?

      Nine of today's hottest paranormal authors answer that question in this all-star collection of supernatural stories. Can a vampire-hunter enjoy her honeymoon when she's just learned that her new hubby is a werewolf? How can newlyweds focus on their wedding night when their honeymoon suite is haunted by feuding ghosts? And what's a wizard to do when a gruesome monster kidnaps the bride on her way home from the wedding?

      With so much otherworldly mayhem awaiting our newlyweds, will they ever get around to the honeymoon itself? Find out in My Big Fat Supernatural Honeymoon.

      Edited by P.N. Elrod
      Kelley Armstrong - "Stalked"
      Jim Butcher - "Heorot"
      Rachel Caine - "Roman holiday, or SPQ-arrrrrr"
      P.N. Elrod - "Her Mother's Daughter"
      Caitlin Kittredge - "Newlydeads"
      Marjorie M. Liu - "Where the Heart Lives"
      Katie MacAlister - "Cat got your tongue?"
      Lilith Saintcrow - "Half of Being Married"

      Killing Bridezilla by Laura Levine

      Description: When writer-for-hire Jaine Austen signs on to script vows for the ultimate Bridezilla, "I do's" soon become "I wish I hadn't's"--and curtains for the bride spell a veil of woes for Jaine...
      Jaine's accepted her share of lame gigs to pay the bills, but rewriting Shakespeare's got to be an all-time low. The fiasco begins with a call from Jaine's high-school nemesis, uber rich uber witch Patti Devane. It seems Patti will soon be sashaying down the aisle with another former classmate from Hermosa High, and she'd like the exchange of vows to evoke Romeo and Juliet...except without the "downer" of an ending.

      Even worse than the assignment itself is dealing with Patti as a client. At least Jaine's not alone, as nobody can stand the demanding, spoiled, and incredibly rude Bridezilla from Hell. Patti's managed to rack up an amazingly long list of enemies in a short time, not the least of whom include her prospective mother-in-law, the soon-to-be ex-wife of Patti's stolen soon-to-be groom, and just about everyone involved in the wedding preparations. So it isn't a complete surprise when the erstwhile Juliet plunges to her death during her balcony scene.

      The loosened bolts that brought down the bride were clearly an act of sabotage--what's not so obvious is whom, among Patti's numerous haters, committed this murder most foul. Was it the caterer she threatened to ruin? The bridesmaid tossed out of the wedding party for being too chubby? Jaine's determined to learn the truth--if only to end the hideous walk down memory lane kicked off by her association with Patti.

      Between fending off advances from the nerd of her high school nightmares and figuring out ways to stop Prozac the cat from corrupting the victim's pet Poodle, Jaine's involvement in this case keeps veering between comedy and tragedy. That is, until another body is discovered--and the killer starts laying plot for a final act--starring Jaine...

      Killer Cuts by Elaine Viets

      Description: Helen Hawthorne’s latest dead-end job is in Miguel Angel’s Fort Lauderdale hair salon, where a trim can cost as much as a car payment and a blowout can wipe you out. But when one of the salon’s most famous clients, gossip blogger and cable-TV show host Kingman “King” Oden is murdered at his own wedding, things get a little hairy and King becomes the prime suspect. To save her boss—and her job— Helen is determined to find the murderer. When she finds herself the target of threatening notes, it’s more imperative than ever that she figure out who at the wedding was dressed to kill.

      Hollywood Car Wash by Lori Culwell

      Description: Amy Spencer is an accidental celebrity. On Monday, she's a normal college student in Michigan. By the end of the week, she's in Hollywood, starring in a TV pilot--as a regular girl from Michigan. It's all fun and games until the show gets picked up and Amy learns the terrible price of stardom--to keep the part she didn't even want at first, she's going to have to get the Hollywood Car Wash to make her more marketable. First, she'll have to lose twenty pounds. She'll also need new teeth, blonder hair, and a megastar boyfriend with a big secret. By changing everything from her weight to her hair to her name, Amy slowly learns that the only way to survive in Hollywood is to lose herself. Inspired by true events, this shockingly accurate novel about the ins and outs of the Hollywood game will leave the reader wondering--who is Star?

      Hollywood Car Wash is the first in a series.

      Girls Who Gossip by Theresa Alan

      Yes the rumours are true...

      I'm actually coming home to Colorado for the summer. Maybe it won't be so bad. After all, I've got cocktails, shopping, and gab sessions with my girlfriends to look forward to. Plus time with my dysfunctional family. Yippee. I'm Helaina, by the way. Helaina Denner if you've known me since junior high, like Hannah and Marti. Helaina Merrill if you know me from film school at NYU. See, I lead a bit of a double life: "starving" student when in Manhattan, daughter of privilege when in Denver

      And it gets even better...

      ...depending on your definition of "better." First off, I've picked this time to try and reconnect with my father. Which would be easier if we'd ever had anything resembling a relationship to begin with. I guess this is one of the pitfalls of having a parent as rich as Bill Gates and as accessible as the Pope...

      Seriously, some of this stuff you cannot repeat...

      like what I'll tell you about Owen, the adorable journalist I just met. He's sweet, sincere, sexy...real soul mate material. But something's keeping me from letting him get too close. What's my problem, anyway? No need to answer: that's what friends are for. Now, amid high-altitude parties in Aspen, bikini waxes gone mad, and caught-on-tape blackmail fodder, I'm about to find out exactly what one heiress's problems amount to in this crazy world. Just remember, whatever I discover is off the record - for the moment, at least...

      All We Ever Wanted Was Everything by Janelle Brown

      Description: When Paul Miller’s pharmaceutical company goes public, making his family IPO millionaires, his wife, Janice, is sure this is the windfall she’s been waiting years for — until she learns, via messengered letter, that her husband is divorcing her (for her tennis partner!) and cutting her out of the new fortune. Meanwhile, four hundred miles south in Los Angeles, the Millers' older daughter, Margaret, has been dumped by her newly famous actor boyfriend and left in the lurch by an investor who promised to revive her fledgling postfeminist magazine. Sliding toward bankruptcy and dogged by creditors, she flees for home where her younger sister Lizzie, 14, is struggling with problems of her own. Formerly chubby, Lizzie has been enjoying her newfound popularity until some bathroom graffiti alerts her to the fact that she’s become the school slut.

      The three Miller women retreat behind the walls of their Georgian colonial to wage battle with divorce lawyers, debt collectors, drug-dealing pool boys, mean girls, country-club ladies, their own demons, and one another, and in the process they become achingly sympathetic characters we can’t help but root for—even as the world they live in epitomizes everything wrong with the American Dream. Exhilarating, addictive, and superbly accomplished, All We Ever Wanted Was Everything is an original, utterly modern addition to the genre of suburban fiction.

      Sherri
      Currently reading QUESTIONS TO ASK BEFORE MARRYING by Melissa Senate & listening to BREAKING DAWN by Stephenie Meyer

      Up Next:    INSIDER DATING by Jennifer O'Connell

      What am I babbling about?
      http://sharalsthoughtsandramblings.blogspot.com/
      http://myspace.com/sharalsbooks

      See the books I have set free at:
      http://bookcrossing.com/referral/sharalsbooks

      Swap Your Paperback Books - PaperBackSwap.com

    • Sherri
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 1, 2010
        The beautiful thing about audiobooks is that though I add them to my to be read
        list, they don't take up any room now that I've entered the 21st century and
        listen digitally instead of on CD or cassette. Just imagine the room I could
        free up around here if Santa brings me a Kindle or a Nook for Christmas... :o)

        Thanks For The Memories by Cecelia Ahern

        things she shouldn’t. She knows about tiny cobbled streets in Paris, which she
        has never visited. And every night she dreams about an unknown little girl with
        blonde hair. Justin Hitchcock is divorced, lonely and restless. He arrives in
        Dublin to give a lecture on art and meets an attractive doctor, who persuades
        him to donate blood. It’s the first thing to come straight from his heart in a
        long time. When Joyce leaves hospital after a terrible accident, with her life
        and her marriage in pieces, she moves back in with her elderly father. All the
        while, a strong sense of déjà vu is overwhelming her and she can’t figure out
        why …

        Charley's Web by Joy Fielding

        tells the story of an ambitious journalist whose foray into the mind of a killer
        puts her own family in jeopardy.
        Charley Webb is a beautiful single mother who writes a successful and
        controversial column for the Palm Beach Post. She's spent years building an
        emotional wall against scathing critics, snooty neighbors, and her disapproving
        family. But when she receives a letter from Jill Rohmer, a young woman serving
        time on death row for the murders of three small children, her boundaries slowly
        begin to fade. Jill wants Charley to write her biography so that she can share
        the many hidden truths about the case that failed to surface during her trial.
        Seeing this as a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity, Charley begins her jour-ney
        into the mind of this deeply troubled woman.

        Her path takes a twisted turn, however, when the anonymous letters she's
        recently received from an angry reader evolve into threats, targeting her son
        and daughter. As Charley races against time to save her family, she begins to
        understand the value of her seemingly intru-sive neighbors, friends, and
        relatives. As she discovers, this network of flawed but loving people might just
        be her only hope of getting out alive.

        Filled with complex characters and a plot rich with intrigue, Charley's Web is
        Joy Fielding at her heart-skipping, mesmerizing best.

        Sherri
        Currently reading VAMPIRE ACADEMY by Richelle Mead & listening to THANKS FOR THE
        MEMORIES by Cecelia Ahern

        Up Next: DEEPER THAN THE DEAD by Tami Hoag

        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 3, 2011
          I may not want to admit it, at least not out loud, but I have lost the battle and possibly the war at reading more than I acquire. Every month I say I want to read more than I take in and that's just not happening. Never has...never will. Whatever...

          Turned by Julie Kenner

          Description: When Lily Carlyle died in an act of vengeance, she came back as an assassin for the light. But when she discovered her masters' true darkness, she decided to choose the right side for once...

          Her own.

          With her cover as a double agent inside the forces of evil blown, Lily has no choice but to go underground. She takes along a cadre of warriors: humans, angels, demons, and other trusted creatures. Their only hope is to stop the forces who are attempting to use the Ninth gate as a wedge that will unleash the fury of Hell.

          But even as they attempt to stop the unholy rituals, they are confounded at every turn by their foes. With the fate of all life on earth in their hands, Lily must confront the hatred inside her own soul and uncover a traitor in her midst --- and closer to her heart than she ever could have imagined...

          The Silent Girl by Tess Gerritsen

          Description: Every crime scene tells a story. Some keep you awake at night. Others haunt your dreams. The grisly display homicide cop Jane Rizzoli finds in Boston’s Chinatown will do both.

          In the murky shadows of an alley lies a female’s severed hand. On the tenement rooftop above is the corpse belonging to that hand, a red-haired woman dressed all in black, her head nearly severed. Two strands of silver hair—not human—cling to her body. They are Rizzoli’s only clues, but they’re enough for her and medical examiner Maura Isles to make the startling discovery: that this violent death had a chilling prequel.

          Nineteen years earlier, a horrifying murder-suicide in a Chinatown restaurant left five people dead. But one woman connected to that massacre is still alive: a mysterious martial arts master who knows a secret she dares not tell, a secret that lives and breathes in the shadows of Chinatown. A secret that may not even be human. Now she’s the target of someone, or something, deeply and relentlessly evil.

          Cracking a crime resonating with bone-chilling echoes of an ancient Chinese legend, Rizzoli and Isles must outwit an unseen enemy with centuries of cunning—and a swift, avenging blade.

          The Magicians by Lev Grossman

          Description: Quentin Coldwater is brillant but miserable. He's a senior in high school, and a certifiable genius, but he's still secretly obsessed with a series of fantasy novels he read as a kid, about the adventures of five children in a magical land called Fillory. Compared to that, anything in his real life just seems gray and colorless.

          Everything changes when Quentin finds himself unexpectedly admitted to a very secret, very exclusive college of magic in upstate New York, where he receives a thorough and rigorous education in the practice of modern sorcery. He also discovers all the other things people learn in college: friendship, love, sex, booze, and boredom. But something is still missing. Magic doesn't bring Quentin the happiness and adventure he though it would.

          Then, after graduation, he and his friends make a stunning discovery: Fillory is real.

          Single In The City by Michele Gorman

          Hannah's looking for:

          1. Her dream guy. A prince or Hugh Grant would be nice. Or does she have to settle for her half-naked Australian housemate or an "English gentleman" with terrible hygiene habits?

          2. Her dream job. Something fantastic in fashion. So how has she ended up being the mini-me for an evil party planner who doesn't even trust her to arrange the paper clips?

          3. Her dream friends. But everyone in London seems to have known each other for years and Hannah doesn't know the rules of engagement. Who's she going to have fun with?

          Dream life? Should Hannah just dream on? She wanted a big change but maybe it would have been simpler and cheaper just to get a new haircut. Was she mad to move 3,000 miles away from everyone she knows? Will she ever find love and her perfect life in England?

          Explosive Eighteen by Janet Evanovich

          Description: Bounty hunter Stephanie Plum’s life is set to blow sky high when international murder hits dangerously close to home, in this dynamite novel by Janet Evanovich.

          Before Stephanie can even step foot off Flight 127 Hawaii to Newark, she’s knee deep in trouble. Her dream vacation turned into a nightmare, and she’s flying back to New Jersey solo. Worse still, her seatmate never returned to the plane after the L.A. layover. Now he’s dead, in a garbage can, waiting for curbside pickup. His killer could be anyone. And a ragtag collection of thugs and psychos, not to mention the FBI, are all looking for a photograph the dead man was supposed to be carrying.

          Only one other person has seen the missing photo—Stephanie Plum. Now she’s the target, and she doesn’t intend to end up in a garbage can. With the help of an FBI sketch artist Stephanie re-creates the person in the photo. Unfortunately the first sketch turns out to look like Tom Cruise, and the second sketch like Ashton Kutcher. Until Stephanie can improve her descriptive skills, she’ll need to watch her back.

          Over at the bail bonds agency things are going from bad to worse. The bonds bus serving as Vinnie’s temporary HQ goes up in smoke. Stephanie’s wheelman, Lula, falls in love with their largest skip yet. Lifetime arch nemesis Joyce Barnhardt moves into Stephanie’s apartment. And everyone wants to know what happened in Hawaii?

          Morelli, Trenton’s hottest cop, isn’t talking about Hawaii. Ranger, the man of mystery, isn’t talking about Hawaii. And all Stephanie is willing to say about her Hawaiian vacation is . . . It’s complicated.

          Sherri

          Currently reading HARRY POTTER & THE DEATHLY HALLOWS by J.K. Rowling & listening to THE SILENT GIRL by Tess Gerritsen

          Up Next:  STILL LIFE by Joy Fielding

          What am I babbling about? Check out my blog:
          http://sharalsthoughtsandramblings.blogspot.com/

          http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1318571455%c2%a0

          Message 4 of 6 , Dec 13, 2012
            Unfortunately, 2012 is nearing the end and, once again, I wish I could say that real life has kept me from completing my annual reading goal. If only that were true. There's still another month left, and though I am 99.9% positive, I will fall short, I am closer this year than I was last year or the year before.

            November brought only one new addition to the pile and the review for this book will be up in December. As I begin to wind down my reading year, I can only look back and be thankful for the opportunity I have had this year to read the books I did read and go forward hopeful that next year will be more productive.

            Title: Hold Tight
            Author: Harlan Coben

            Description: Best-selling author Harlan Coben asks that provocative and terrifying question with his fifteenth thriller. How much do parents really want to know about their kids?

            Tia and Mike Baye never imagined they'd become the type of overprotective parents who spy on their kids. But their sixteen-year-old son Adam has been unusually distant lately, and after the suicide of his classmate Spencer Hill - the latest in a string of issues at school - they can't help but worry. They install a sophisticated spy program on Adam's computer, and within days they are jolted by a message from an unknown correspondent addressed to their son - 'Just stay quiet and all safe.'

            Meanwhile, browsing through an online memorial for Spencer put together by his classmates, Betsy Hill is struck by a photo that appears to have been taken on the night of her son's death and he wasn't alone. She thinks it is Adam Baye standing just outside the camera's range; but when Adam goes missing, it soon becomes clear that something deep and sinister has infected their community. For Tia and Mike Baye, the question they must answer is this; When it comes to your kids, is it possible to know too much?

            Sherri

            Currently reading PERFECT ON PAPER by Patty Froese and listening to GIRL MISSING by Tess Gerritsen

            Up Next: THE REFORMED VAMPIRE SUPPORT GROUP by Catherine Jinks

            What am I babbling about? Check out my blog:
            http://sharalsthoughtsandramblings.blogspot.com/

            Reading has made me a world traveler!  See where I've been:
            https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid=203147106680858478430.0004c36fa0d3cec639871&msa=0&ll=56.36525,-99.492187&spn=116.517147,316.054688%c2%a0

            Message 5 of 6 , Dec 2, 2015
              A definite Christmas theme has dominated my new book additions in November. I am looking forward to my Christmas reading this year. How about you?

              Title: Kitty And The Midnight Hour by Carrie Vaughn
              Description: Kitty Norville is a midnight-shift DJ for a Denver radio station?and a werewolf in the closet. Her new late-night advice show for the supernaturally disadvantaged is a raging success, but it?s Kitty who can use some help. With one sexy werewolf-hunter and a few homicidal undead on her tail, Kitty may have bitten off more than she can chew...

              Title: Last Christmas by Lily Greene

              She had been with sophisticated banker Robbie Newton for six years when they suddenly broke up on New Year’s Eve.

              Robbie had left her heartbroken and hurt with nothing but a note explaining he had taken a job in Chicago.

              This Christmas Ella is determined to bury her past and start afresh.

              She focuses on her career as an artist and organises her debut exhibition in a swanky London gallery.

              While shopping for her best friend, Libby Crosley, who is hosting her infamous Christmas party that evening, Ella bumps into a mysterious man in the supermarket.

              After a series of awkward run-ins and chance meetings with this stranger, Fergus Lamb, Ella feels the pangs of love again.

              Fergus is nothing like any man Ella’s ever dated.

              He’s a quirky, smart, bold, and spontaneous war photographer who looks like James Dean.

              Just as Ella’s luck is changing, Robbie shows up unannounced at the opening night of her exhibition.

              Ella is faced with a choice when Robbie finally offers her what she always wanted…

              Who will Ella choose? Her suave and successful ex-boyfriend who she finds so irresistible? Or the exciting new stranger who has just waltzed into her life?

              Will this Christmas be a fresh start? Or will she be dragged back to the memories of Last Christmas?

              Title: Mistletoe And Wine by Faith Bleasdale

              Harry Augustus, the third generation boss of Augustus Estate Agents, is hosting the biggest and best Christmas party yet.

              He is pulling out all the stops and has a big announcement to make.

              Gabby, the glamorous office manager, is in charge of the festive bash.

              But she’s also sleeping with the boss.

              Their office romance has been anything but subtle and is made more scandalous by the fact that Harry is married with two kids.

              But theirs is not the only secret relationship in the office…

              Caroline, Harry’s dutiful PA, is dating her irresistible colleague, Rob Sharp, who wants to keep their relationship private so it won’t affect his chances of an upcoming promotion.

              But Caroline is at her wits end; she’d rather face the inevitable gossip than the icy front Rob puts on in the office.

              Why does she feel like she’s the one having the affair?

              Gabby takes Caroline for a drink at the ‘Olive’ to plan the party and tells her she thinks Harry is going to leave his wife for her.

              That’s what the announcement is going to be about.

              While leaving the bar, Gabby sees Evie and Joseph, two juniors at the company, sharing a tender moment.

              She thinks they’d make a cute couple but Evie has set her sights on Rob…

              As Gabby, Caroline and Evie grow closer, their secret relationships threaten to catch up with them.

              Trouble is brewing…

              What is Harry’s speech going to be about? How will the couples cope when the truth is revealed during a not so secret ‘Secret Santa’ present swap?

              Can mistletoe and wine save the day?

              Title: Mistletoe In Manhattan by Talli Roland
              Description: As Little Missington's first Christmas baby in fifty years and the daughter of 'Christmas When You Like It' party-planners, Holly West has been surrounded by the holiday spirit since birth. Trouble is, she's not exactly filled with festive cheer. In fact, Holly can't wait to ditch the tinsel and Santa suits for champagne and celebs, and become a party-planner to the stars.

              When British film star Dean Layton hires her parents' company to throw his holiday bash in Manhattan, Holly jumps at the chance to help, confident she can handle a little Christmas in exchange for access to Dean's exclusive world.

              But New York and Dean's over-the-top demands are more than Holly bargained for. Can Holly deck the halls and make it a party to be proud of, or will this Christmas be one she'll never forget . . . even if she wants to?

              Title: Mistletoe Mansion by Samantha Tonge

              When Kimmy's Sensible Boyfriend told her he didn't approve of her longing for the high life or her dream of starting a cupcake company Kimmy thought she could compromise – after all, she did return those five-inch Paris Hilton heels! But asking her to trade in cake-making for a job sorting potatoes is a step too far.

              So, newly single - and newly homeless – Kimmy needs a dusting of Christmas luck. And, masquerading as a professional house sitter, her new temporary home is the stunning Mistletoe Mansion. Soon she’s best buds with glamorous next door golf WAG Melissa, and orders are pouring in for her fabulous Merry Berry cupcakes! The only thorn in her side is handsome handyman Luke, a distraction she definitely doesn't need. And talking of distractions, something very odd is going on at night…

              Kimmy is finally living the life she’s always wanted. But will her glimpse into the glittering lifestyle of the rich and famous be as glamorous as she’s always imagined?

              Sherri
              Currently reading CHRISTMAS WISHES & MISTLETOE KISSES by Jenny Hale & listening to KITTY AND THE MIDNIGHT HOUR by Carrie Vaughn

              Up Next: DARK WITCH by Nora Roberts