Paula's October

  • starwarriorsmom@comcast.net
    Message 1 of 10 , Nov 1, 2009
      read 6 books and listened to 2 this month. Not bad for as much as I worked!

      The Lost Symbol - Dan Brown B
      Not bad, pretty fast paced but the last 15 to 20 pages could have been omitted imo.

      Heart-Shaped Box - Joe Hill B+
      Goose bumpy story. I'll look for his others.

      Lost Star, The Story of Amelia Earhart - Patricia Lauber NF - YA - A
      I haven't read anything about Earhart before so enjoyed this one

      Darkly Dreaming Dexter - Jeff Lindsay - B+
      Twisted serial killer story, but you like him!

      Good Time Girls - Lael Morgan B- NF
      Some interesting parts about the girls in the Gold Rush in Alaska. There were many chapters
      with very little info so it made it dry.

      90 Minutes in Heaven - Don Piper NF B
      Inspirational story about a pastor who dies in an auto accident and spends 90 minutes in Heaven
      before coming back. It's miraculous that he even survived!

      AUDIO:

      Little Children - Tom Perrotta - B
      This was one where all the characters were flawed!

      Elsewhere - Gabrielle Zevin - YA - B
      A different take on what happens when you die

      Paula, CO

    • starwarriorsmom@comcast.net
      Message 2 of 10 , Oct 30, 2010
        I read 5 books this month and listened to 1 for a total of 6:

        Jennifer Murdley's Toad - Coville YA - B
        Cute story about a not very attractive young girl who goes into a magic shop that she's never seen there before
        and purchases a toad. This toad can talk! When her pretty rival who makes fun of her all the time gets
        kissed by the toad, she turns into a toad! Now she can see how it feels to be told how ugly she is.

        The Magician's Elephant - Kate Di Camillo YA B
        Heartwarming story about an orphaned boy whose father was killed on the battlefield and his mother died
        giving birth to his sister. An old soldier took the boy in and is training him to be a soldier and told him that
        his sister is dead. The boy uses some coins the old soldier gave him to buy bread and uses it for a
        fortune teller. She tells him his sister is alive and an elephant will guide him to her. A bit disjointed at
        first but ends up being a good story.

        A Twisted Ladder - Rhodi Hawk C
        The premise of this book was good, takes place in New Orleans and has a gothic feel to it. The story takes
        place in the past and present. Madelyn's father suffers from schizophrenia. He raised she and her brother
        but would disappear for weeks at a time when they were young and they took care of each other.
        Madelyn becomes a psychologist so she can help people like her father. After her brother takes his
        own life, Madelyn finds she has a grandmother, Chloe. She is upset with Chloe who has never tried to
        help she and her brother when they needed it. The story in the past is about Chloe's young years and
        her voodoo ways. She raises her children to use their "powers" on people. Their father was supposedly
        possessed by demons which in the future they attribute to schizophrenia also. It was interesting but a
        bit disjointed and the past and present never really came together. The ending was rather a let down for me.

        Prior Bad Acts - Tami Hoag A
        Loved this fast paced thriller. A vicious murder has taken place on a woman and her foster children. Karl
        Dahl is arrested for the murder since he is a drifter and was working at the home just before the murders.
        Judge Carey Moore rules that his prior bad acts are inadmissable in court which causes an uproar. After
        Moore is severely beaten and later kidnapped, Detective Kovac is on the case to find who took her and
        where.

        House Calls and Hitching Posts - as told to Dorcas Hoover by Dr. Elton Lehman NF - A
        These are stories of patients told by a country doctor who takes up practice in an Amish community. He
        puts in time way beyond what other doctors do and respects the wishes of the Amish patients he treats.
        This one will make you laugh and cry.

        AUDIO:

        City of Masks - Daniel Hecht - B+
        This book also took place in New Orleans. Cree, a paranormal expert is called in to investigate strange
        occurances in an old family mansion. She finds the apparitions to be quite brutal and must get to why
        they are there.

        Paula, CO

      • starwarriorsmom@comcast.net
        Message 3 of 10 , Nov 2, 2011
          I read 5 books this month, no audios though. : (

          Desert Flower - Waris Dirie - B+
          Non-fiction story about Waris, starting out as a young girl with her Nomad family in Somalia. She undergoes the female circumcision at age 5 and
          runs away at 13 when her father arranges a marriage for her to a 60 something year old man. Very good story.

          The Sleepwalkers - Paul Grossman - A
          I won this one from Goodreads. It takes place in Germany 1932 before the takeover by Hitler. Chief detective Willi, a Jew is on the case of a
          murdered woman found in the Haver River. She has had surgery to turn the tibias in her legs backwards. He is using all his resources to find who
          is doing these atrocities while fighting what is happening in Germany.

          Pampered to Death - Laura Levine - B+
          Lance treats Jane to a spa for a week. When she and Prozac arrive, she realizes it is a weight loss spa! When a movie star is murdered, Jane
          is on the case.

          Stage Fright - Clare McNally - B+ (this was my scary book for October)
          Hayley is a playwright of a theater group. Her boyfriend Jack is in the group and they are going to celebrate a 1 year anniversary of being
          together. Hayley returns home after running errands to find Jack and her best friend Kelly murdered in their apartment. Bruce Donner is
          still there but runs and is apprehended by the police. He hangs himself in the jail cell but scrawls a message to Hayley on his chest, "wait
          for me".

          5 years later Hayley moves to New York and starts a little dinner theater group. When the members start disappearing and dying, she's
          wondering if Bruce has come back.

          Mary: Mrs. A. Lincoln - Janis Cooke Newman - A++
          This was historical fiction but based on a lot of facts. Mary is telling her story while in the insane asylum where her oldest son Robert has
          placed her. I knew nothing about Mary other than people saying she was crazy. I now have a better understanding of her and her life. She had
          a friend who was a mulatto who traveled with Mary and made dresses. I looked her up to see if she was real and not only was she real, but
          she wrote her own book about her slavery as well as her days in the White House. I got it for free from Kindle! Anxious to read it. I very much
          enjoyed reading Mary and would recommend it if you like historical fiction.

          Paula, CO

        • starwarriorsmom@comcast.net
          Message 4 of 10 , Nov 3, 2012
            I read 6 books this month:

            The Uninvited - Jonathan Daniel - B+ - This is pretty much a horror story. I wasn't too sure what it was about but it was a freebie on Kindle. It grabbed me from the first page. The ending was wrapped up a little to quickly and some parts seemed to be repetitious but other than that it was a good story.

            Death of a Neighborhood Witch - Laura Levine - B+ - These are fun reads and this one is no exception. When a washed up hollywood neighbor is murdered in her front yard with her no trespassing sign, Jaine is the prime suspect because the person who did it was wearing a gorilla costume which was Jaine's at the neighborhood party.

            Swan Loch - Randy Mixter - A - Kind of a whimsical mystery paranormal romance. Another freebie from Kindle.

            Killing Lincoln - Bill O'Reilly - A - I loved the way these true characters were given life.

            The Art of Racing in the Rain - Garth Stein - A+ - a reread for me and I still love it! I read it for my f2f group read.

            Abandoned - Amanda Stevens - B+ - A paranormal short story that was a prequel to the Amanda Stevens series.

            Paula, CO

          • ladyhawk5002001
            Message 5 of 10 , Nov 3, 2013
              I had a pretty good month although I've been working a lot.  A couple of them were very short stories so that added to my total of 8 for the month:

              When Darkness Falls - Margaret Daley - C-  - Very short story and I just didn't connect with it.

              Serial - Blake Crouch and JA Konrath - A - short story but I really liked this twisted story. Not for the squeamish.

              Kiss Mommy Goodbye - Joy Fielding - B+ I read this one on the plane to and from Maryland for my grandson's 1st birthday.  Thriller

              Hear the Children Calling - Clare McNally - B+  A story of a mad scientist who invents a fertility drug that gives children super mind powers.

              The Hunters - Jason Pinter - B+ - short story or really a filler to get you interested in the books.  It worked for me and I will look for the books.

              Serena - Ron Rash - B+ (audio)  About a guy who marries a woman and takes her back to his logging business in the early 1900's.  Turns out she is way more ruthless than her husband.

              Letters from a Woman Homesteader - Elinore Pruitt Stewart - A  - a nonfiction about a young woman who travels from Denver to Wyoming with her new employer.  She wants to be a homesteader and buys land adjoining his. Very inspiring story told in letters to her friend in Denver about her life from 1903 to 1913.

              The Lonely Polygamist - Brady Udall - B - An interesting novel about life as a polygamist.  I thought it was more wordy than it needed to be but it was interesting.

              Paula, CO
            • ladyhawk5002001
              Message 6 of 10 , Nov 3, 2014
                I finally have a chance to post my reads for October:

                TOO DARK TO SEE - Jay Chastain - B++ - This book isn't for everybody but I liked it.  It's rather twisted and a trip into madness.  Short story.

                HEART - Dick Cheney - B+ - A friend of ours who had a heart transplant read this book and recommended it to me.  It's not a political book but an interesting book on Cheney's heart problems.  His doctor also writes in more medical terms and the history of heart disease.  I enjoyed it.

                HORNS - Joe Hill - B-/C+ - Thought I'd read a scary book for Halloween but this one wasn't that scary.  I liked the story but felt the ending left me wanting.

                MURDER ON MOLAKA'I - Chris Huges  B+ - This was a cozy mystery by a new to me author.  I liked this one and will read more by this author.

                LIFETIME - Liza Marklund (audio) - B - This is also a new to me author.  I picked it up from the library and learned that the author is from Switzerland.  This was a pretty good mystery.

                Paula, CO