Paula's December

  • starwarriorsmom@comcast.net
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 1, 2009
      I read 6 books this month (one was a picture book but very interesting) and listened to one on audio which was my favorite book of the year. I read:

      The Black Echo - Michael Connelly - B
      High Seas Murder - Shelley Fredont - B-
      The Confessions of Max Tivoli - Andrew Sean Greer - B
      Mysteries of the Mummy Kids - YA - A
      The Last Lecture - Randy Pausch - NF - A
      The Captured - Scott Zesch - NF - A

      Audio (and favorite book of year)

      The Art of Racing in the Rain - Garth Stein - A+++

      Paula, CO

    • starwarriorsmom@comcast.net
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 31, 2009
        I read 4 books for the month, no audios this month:

        The Christmas Thief - Mary and Carol Higgins Clark B
        Cute cozy about a thief who just gets out of prison after 12 years and breaks his parole with the help of
        his accomplices. They go to Vermont to find the diamonds that he had hidden in a tree before he went
        to prison. Unfortunately, the tree has been chosen to be the Christmas Tree in Rockefeller Center!

        The Monster of Florence - NF - Douglas Preston and Mario Spezi B
        I found this book to be well written but for me it was very frustrating because of how inept the police were
        and no final conclusion. It was interesting but frustrating.

        Royal's Bride - Kat Martin B
        Before Royal's father dies, he makes Royal promise he will marry the woman he has arranged for him to
        wed. She has money and no title so it's a good thing for both parties. Royal falls for his betroths cousin
        but must follow his father's wishes.

        The Christmas Jars - Jason Wright A
        Very inspirational story just right for Christmas.

        Paula, CO

      • starwarriorsmom@comcast.net
        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 1, 2011
          I read 6 books and listened to 2 for a total of 8, which is surprising for how busy this month was!

          Decision Points - George W. Bush - A - Interesting about the behind the scenes, what he would have done
          differently, and what really went on.

          Room - Emma Donoghue - A++ - Very amazing story told in the voice of a 5 year old boy. Once I got used to
          the writing style, I could not put this book down!

          The Last Child - John Hart - A - Johnny's sister was abducted a year ago and no progress has been made
          on the case so Johnny has taken it upon himself to find out what has happened to her. His Dad has left
          with no trace and his Mother is a mess so it's up to him.

          A Dog's Life - Ann Martin - YA - B+ - Very interesting story of the life of a stray from the time of her birth until she
          is older.

          The Judge Who Stole Christmas - Randy Singer - B+ - Inspirational Christmas story dealing with the separa-
          tion of Church and State by the ACLU.

          Fingersmith - Sarah Waters - B - Fast paced book about a family of petty thieves in the 1800's. The story
          was good but the 2nd chapter tells the tale from another persons point of view which is almost a repeat
          of the first chapter. Also I wasn't prepared for the romance that took place, just not my thing.

          AUDIO:

          Truth or Dare - Jayne Ann Krentz - B - Sequel to "Light in Shadow". Good but not as good as the first one.

          The Gift - Cecelia Ahern - A - Inspirational Christmas story and had a good message.

          Paula, CO

        • starwarriorsmom@comcast.net
          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 2, 2012
            I read 7 books this month, some were very short stories though.

            My Christmas Angels - Jason W. Chan - A (short story)
            Plum Lovin' - Janet Evanovich - B+
            Jack & Jill - James Patterson - B+
            A Knight in Central Park - Teresa Ragan - B
            Safe Haven - Nicholas Sparks - A-
            Evergreen, A Christmas Tale - B+ (short story)
            A Christmas Jar for Santa - Jason Wright - B (short story)

            Paula, CO

          • ladyhawk5002001
            Message 5 of 6 , Jan 1, 2014
              I was able to finish 6 books for the month.  One was audio:

              When the Devil Whistles - Rick Acker - B+

              Nikola Tesla and the Taming of Electricity - Lisa J. Aldrich - YA - NF - A  I'm ashamed to say I knew very little about Tesla so I very much enjoyed this book

              The Christmas Dog - Melody Carlson - B+ - Heartwarming Christmas story

              Gone Girl - Gillian Flynn - B  This one kept me turning pages until the end

              The House of Dark Shadows - Robert Liparulo - YA - A-  A scary thriller about an old house and portals

              Killer Summer - Ridley Pearson - B - I didn't know this was part of a series until I'd started reading but I will probably start from the first one.

              Paula, CO