December Reads

  • Susan
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 1, 2007
      As I'm sure you can tell, I did a Christmas theme this month. It was so much fun, and I got through some of the books in my To Be Read pile.

      My favorite was Holly by Jude Deveraux. No surprise there, I love her stuff. I really enjoyed The Night Before Christmas as well. It was a neat little mix of short stories, and I am looking forward to reading more from some of these authors.

      December

      44) Holly - Jude Deveraux 4/5

      45) Familiar Christmas - Caroline Burnes 3/5

      46) A Christmas Sleigh Ride - Tracey V. Bateman, Jill Stengl 3/5

      47) Cole In My Stocking - Jule McBride 3/5

      48) Deck the Halls With Murder - Valerie Wolzien 2/5

      49) The Night Before Christmas - Lori Foster, Erin McCarthy, Kathy Love, Jill Shalvis, Kylie Adams, Katherine Garbera 3/5

      Susan
    • clearyfan
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 1, 2007
        December was a very busy reading month. My favorite Christmas stories
        were Patricia Polacco's Christmas Tapestry and An Orange for
        Frankie. I also enjoyed Anne Perry's Christmas mysteries.

        My all time favorite book for December was Enchanted Inc. It's Harry
        Potter for grown ups and it's fantasay that actually takes place in
        America. I haven't run into too many of those before.

        Almond, David Clay 4/5
        Amato, Mary Please Write in This Book 4/5
        Barbieri, Maggie Murder 101 3/5
        Bond, Michael Paddington Bear and the Christmas Surprise 4/5

        Cabot, Meg Size 14 is Not Fat Either 4/5
        Carman, Patrick Beyond the Valley of the Thorns 4/5 CD

        Carman, Patrick The Dark Hills Divide: The Land of Elyon
        4/5 CD
        Carman, Patrick The Tenth City 4/5 CD
        Christie, Agatha Crooked House 5/5
        Clements, Andrew Things Hoped For 3/5
        Conrad, Pam The Tub People 2/5
        DePaola, Tomi Guess Who's Coming To Santa's for Dinner 3/5

        Farr, Dan Mr. Finnegan's Giving Chest 4/5
        Funke, Cornelia Dragon Rider 4/5 CD
        Funke, Cornelia Ghosthunters and the Gruesome Invincible Lighting
        Ghost 3/5 CD
        Funke, Cornelia The Thief Lord 4/5 CD
        Giles, Gail What Happened to Cass McBride 4/5
        Greeley, Andrew The Senator and the Priest 3/5

        Kingsbury, Kate Slay Bells 3/5
        Lyon, George Ella & Catalonotto, Peter No Dessert Forever 3/5

        Meier, Leslie Bake Sale Murder 4/5
        Naylor, Phyllis Reynolds Who Won The War 3/5
        Patterson, James SantaKid 3/5
        Perry, Anne A Christmas Journey 4/5
        Perry, Anne A Christmas Secret 4/5
        Perry, Anne Christmas Visitor 4/5
        Pinkwater, Daniel Dancing Larry 3/5
        Polacco, Patricia An Orange For Frankie 5/5
        Polacco, Patricia Christmas Tapestery 5/5
        Schumacher, Julie The Book of One Hundred Truths 4/5

        Swendson, Shanna Enchanted, Inc. 5/5
        Thomas, Pat I'm Telling the Truth 3/5
        Viets, Elaine Dying in Style 4/5
        Viets, Elaine Dying to Call You 4/5
        Viets, Elaine Just Murdered 4/5
        Viets, Elaine Murder Between the Covers 4/5
        Viets, Elaine Shop till You Drop 4/5
        Warner, Sally Not So Weird Emma 3/5
        Warner, Sally Only Emma 3/5
        Warner, Sally Super Emma 3/5
        Wells, Rosemary Morris' Disappearing Bag 3/5
        Zuckerman, Linda I Will Hold You Til You Sleep 4/5
      • clearyfan
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 1, 2008
          My December reads were pretty good. I had a chance to get to some of
          the books I've been looking forward to reading. This year just for
          kicks, I decided to see how many books I read in a year (as a
          librarian, I thought it would be a neat bit of trivia to share with
          my students). As I've not counted the number before, I'm not sure if
          I read more now that I'm a librarian or not. Many of the books were
          picture books and many were audio books – audio books are a fantastic
          way to get to those books you might not otherwise have time for. And
          as I've said before, I love picture books. Everyone should read a
          picture book once in a while. (And speaking of picture books the
          Caldecott Award will be announced on January 14th and so will the
          Newbery).

          For the year I had 325 books that I actually finished. This does not
          include the books that I tried to read, but gave up on. I used to
          think I had to finish every book I started, but life is too short to
          spend time on a book you don't enjoy (unless educational or
          professional concerns require you to).

          My December Reads - My favorites for December were Keturah and Lord
          Death, Murder on the Rocks (I received a signed copy for Christmas
          and Double Cross). I was disappointed with DiCammillo's A Great Joy.

          December Reads
          1. Keturah and Lord Death – Martine Leavitt – CD
          2. Cynthia Coppersmith's Violet Goes To The Country – Melanie
          Cecka
          3. Messy Bessey's Holidays – Patricia McKissack
          4. Silver Packages – Cynthia Rylant
          5. The Sea of Monsters – Rick Riordan
          6. Double Cross – James Patterson
          7. Bounce – Natasha Friend
          8. Jack and Jill – James Patterson
          9. A Great Joy – Kate DiCammillo
          10. The Mysterious Edge of the Heroic World – E. L. Konigsburg
          11. Horrible Harry and the Holidaze – Suzy Kline
          12. Quiet! There's a Canary in the Library – Don Freeman
          13. Home to Holly Springs – Jan Karon
          14. The Titan's Curse – Rick Riordan
          15. Big Boned – Meg Cabot
          16. T is For Trespass - Sue Grafton
          17. Tap Dancing on the Roof – Linda Sue Park
          18. Front Porch Tales and North Country Whoppers – Tomie DePaola
          19. Shrouds of Holly – Kate Kingsbury
          20. The Black Book of Secrets – F. E. Higgins
          21. The Alpine Scandal – Mary Daheim
          22. Murder on the Rocks – Karen MacInerney

          Happy New Year and Happy Reading in 2008

          Beverly
        • skooby
          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 4, 2010
            1. Tempted by P.C. Cast & Kristen Cast 12/02/09
            2. Undead and Unretunable by Mary Janice Davidson 12/05/09
            3. Die Lonesome (Cody's Law bk2) by Matthew S. Hart 12/06/09
            4. Because Your Vampire Said So by Michele Bardsley 12/07/09
            5. Souix Wildfire (White Squaw bk1) by E. J. Hunter 12/08/09
            6. Undead and Unpopular by Mary Janice Davidson 12/10/09
            7. Dead and Loving It by Mary Janice Davidson 12/11/09
            8. Cowboy Homecoming by Pamela Ingram 12/11/09
            9. Undead and Uneasy by Mary Janice Davidson 12/12/09
            10. Rich is Best by Julie Ellis 12/18/09
            11. The Bike Path Killer by Maki Becker and Michael Beebe 12/23/09
            12. Hot Pursuit by Suzanne Brockman 12/24/09
            13. Dear John by Nicholas Sparks 12/26/09
            14. Bodyguard by Lori Foster 12/27/09
            15. Demon Rumm by Sandra Brown 12/29/09
            16. Not Even For Love by Sandra Brown 12/31/09
            17. Cupidity by Caroline Goode 12/31/09

            I read mostly light stuff this past month to try to make a dent in my TBR pile. Hubby is complaining about my having too many bookshelves and that I still have piles everywhere.