November Review

  • Sharal Heinemann
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 1, 2006
      November turned out to be pretty productive...

      Everyone Worth Knowing by Lauren Weisberger 8 *'s

      Lauren Weisberger is quickly becoming an author on my "must read" list. I
      really enjoyed this storyline with the many multi-dimensional characters.
      Bette has a lot of courage to up and quit her job with her Manhattan
      investment banking firm like she does and you have to admire that because I
      wouldn't have the guts to do it. Bette is one of those characters who have a
      strong spirit and sense of self and she manages to not only land a cool job,
      though it doesn't end up being so great, it puts her in direct contact with
      some awesome people, namely Sammy. I found myself rooting for Bette to come
      out on top and the ones who do her wrong do get theirs in the end.

      Some of the supporting characters I liked as well were Penelope, Will and
      Simon. If you liked Weisberger's debut, The Devil Wears Prada, give this one
      a try.

      Straight Up And Dirty by Stephanie Klein 10 *'s

      In one word, WOW! This book provided many hours of great entertainment. The
      author's accounting of her own experiences of life after divorce and picking
      up the pieces go straight to the heart of the matter. Anyone going through
      or having gone through divorce can identify with and relate to most
      everything the author describes. Readers who haven't gone through the horror
      of a divorce should read it just to see why the rest of us act the way we
      do.

      All kidding around aside, this book is in your face with the nitty gritty
      and pain of divorce and the aftermath. The author tells it with open heart
      to heart emotion laced with humor. I found this book to be entertaining but
      also funny, sad, witty, sharp, fresh and sexy. Divorce = sexy? I know,
      doesn't seem to go together but you will have to read this fantastic book to
      see what I mean.

      Mad River Road by Joy Fielding 9 *'s

      Very intense, fast paced and violent story. The ending seemed a little
      rushed but overall the story kept me on edge anticipating the next scene.

      Why Girls Are Weird by Pamela Ribon 9 *'s

      I really enjoyed this story and found many laugh out loud parts especially
      the Billy Banks dialogue. I had never read anything by this author before
      and I will definitely be on the lookout for more of her work.

      I enjoyed Anna and Dale and all of the other characters, though Ian didn't
      deserve half of the recognition he got in this book, every story needs a
      villain, I suppose.

      J Is For Judgment by Sue Grafton 8 *'s

      Good story but didn't end at all the way I expected it to. I enjoyed the
      offshoot into Kinsey's family history and expect more on this will develop
      in future books.

      Sharal

      Currently reading LOYALTY IN DEATH by Sue Grafton and listening to THE
      MILLIONAIRES by Brad Meltzer

      Up next: GHOSTS OF BOYFRIENDS PAST by Carly Alexander

      What am I babbling about?
      http://sharalsthoughtsandramblings.blogspot.com/

      See the books I've set free at:
      http://bookcrossing.com/referral/sharalsbooks

      Stay up-to-date with your friends through the Windows Live Spaces friends
      list.