Re: [BookCrossing] M-bags and what I learned today

  • tkm13us
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 1, 2006
      never heard m-bags. What exactly are they and how do they work.
      Thanks,
      Becky in Michigan

      On 6/30/06, Karen Vella <tkvella@...> wrote:

      > Today I sent an m-bag to Australia for their BC Convention in October.
      > At the post office I found out that the US now has two types of m-bags to
      > send out of the country. One for media and one for "other." Also, some
      > countries that you send to have a minimum weight requirement. Australia's is
      > 13 lbs. My box weighed 10 lbs. I could have sent it on for $70. Ah, no
      > thanks. I went home and registered more books and stuffed them in the box
      > and went back. This time the box weighed 14 lbs. Usually when you mail stuff
      > you don't want them to weigh much and here I was cheering on the scale to go
      > heavier! The cost was $14.70 for 22 books. I asked how long and they thought
      > 2 months. Why so quick? Well, college kids are going "home" and the m-bag
      > containers fill up fast and get shipped out. Now is the time if you want to
      > do an m-bag!
      > ~Sissyrun~
      >
      > books gone wild http://www.bookcrossing.com/referral/Sissyrun
      > Got cheese? http://www.vellacheese.com; http://ww.cheesemakersdaughter.com

    • Karen Vella
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 1, 2006
        It is a canvas or nylon bag used by the post office to send box(es) of books overseas for a fraction of the cost. Some countries have a minimum weight, some don't. When I sent to the UK there was no minimum. The other day I found out that Australia has a minimum of 13 lbs. You box up your books, label the box and take it to your main p.o. Tell them you want to send it in an m-bag. The first time I did this, the p.o. across the street from work had to look it up in their manual and then sent me to the main p.o. across town. They put your box in a bag and lock the straps and attach a label you fill out along with a customs form. I always put "gift", "used books" "zero value". Then the bag sits at a major p.o. until they have enough to fill one of their containers. This is why it can take four months to reach its destination. Do this if no one is in a great hurry for your books or you've allowed plenty of time. The cost should be under $20. My previous email stated that at
        10lbs my books would have cost $70, but I sent 14 lbs for $14.70. I've sent a single book to England and Australia on the slow boat for $8-10 so this is a great way to send more books cheaply.
        ~Sissyrun~