Re: [BookCrossing] INT'L RING -- Wild Swans: Three Daughters of China//Jung Chang

  • Kim Smith
    Message 1 of 5 , May 31, 2006
      Just because she was talking about what went on in her family doesn't necessarily mean that the historical accuracy of the book was guaranteed. Many authors take more than poetic licence when recontructing circumstance and events.

      She contextualised and places the personal story in accurate and close to objective social and political setting. And that cannot have been easy bearing in mind that she wasn't around for much of the political change encorporated in the story.

      Many autobigraphies are not so completely historically accurate, nevermind biographies.

      Thats was my point mostly. Perhaps I have got jaded and am unusually impressed by intergrity and honesty.

      Kim

      sue keehnen <srkeehnen@...> wrote:
      I was surprised about the comment of "historically very accurate". Especially since this is biography/autobiography of her own family.
      Sue

      Kim Smith <girlgogga@...> wrote:
      I loved this book
      and according to a history prof-type I know, it is historically very accurate.
      One of my favourite books

      What an example of the generation gap it is....twice!

      sue keehnen <srkeehnen@...> wrote:
      I read this book a few years ago and was quite impressed with it. It gave me a sense of what people were living through to make them think communism was a better way of life for them. More recently and a bit off the subject, a couple visited my church who spent 9-10 months in central China teaching English to business students. Society seems to be changing yet again - to a "me first" and somewhat acquisatory way of life.
      Sue in Spokane

      Lisa Gardinier <dospescados@...> wrote:
      from the first page:

      At the age of fifteen my grandmother became the concubine of a warlord general, the police chief of a tenuous national government of China. The year was 1924 and China was in chaos. Much of it, including Manchuria, where my grandmother lived, was ruled by warlords. The liaison was arranged by her father, a police official in the provincial town of Yixian in southwest Manchuria, about a hundred miles north of the Great Wall and 250 miles northeast of Peking.

      Like most towns in China, Yixian was built like a fortress. It was encircled by walls thirty feet high and twelve feet thick dating from the Tang dynasty (AD 618-907), surmounted by battlements, dotted with sixteen forts at regular intervals, and wide enough to ride a horse quite easily along the top. There were four gates into the city, one at each point of the compass, with outer protecting gates, and the fortifications were surrounded by a deep moat....

      copyright 1991, 696 pages, trade paperback

      http://www.bookcrossing.com/journal/3213961

      If you're interested in joining this bookring, send me an e-mail or PM (dospescados) with your BC name and shipping preferences.

      Happy reading. =)

      Lisa

      Have you told a friend today? http://bookcrossing.com/tellafriend

      Archives and email list settings:

      Writing book Writing a book Writing child book Book writing software Writing a book report Business writing book