Library for new century to open

  • Genie
    Message 1 of 4 , May 1, 2006
      Just saw this article this morning. Hope someone who
      lives near this new library will check it out when it
      opens. Sounds like an interesting concept in library
      design.

      geniedances

      Library for new century to open

      Minneapolis' new central library is designed for the
      21st century, with some touches that are even more
      futuristic, and virtually no card catalogs. The
      amenities include a theater, a room where kids can
      draw on the walls and fireplaces on every floor, the
      Christian Science Monitor reports. Librarians,
      equipped with walkie-talkies that look like something
      out of the original "Star Trek," will roam around
      helping patrons instead of remaining trapped behind
      desks. The library has miles of bookcases and 300
      computers -- and self-service checkout for borrowers.
      Plans call for a user-friendly library where books and
      computers can mesh. While most of the collection in
      the old library was kept in closed stacks, the new
      library is all open stack. Card catalogs are gone,
      except for one that will be kept in special
      collections. The library is scheduled to open May 20.

      "The light at the end of the tunnel is an oncoming train." - author unknown

      http://mail.yahoo.com
    • Crash Bandicoot
      Message 2 of 4 , May 1, 2006
        I WISH I lived near there.

        Only thing is, I'd probably never come out.
        Cindy

        Genie <geniedances@...> wrote:
[...]

      • Jeanine Arnold
        Message 3 of 4 , May 2, 2006
          I would love to see this new library. I love going to the library and I love reading. So does my elder daughter. I guess you would have to love libraries and reading to find this story funny but......

          She just moved to Oregon. When she arrived at her destination and had only been there less than a week she called home to tell me she had gotten her most important Oregon card. I said "Oh, your got your Oregon ID card already." She replied "No, Mom, even more important than that. I got my library card." LOL

          Bluestocking86

        • carmen myers
          Message 4 of 4 , May 15, 2006
            For ambience of a true reader I adore the Portland and NY Greenwich libraries. I have a librian who detests working at the new Seattle library, and I hate its coldness but I need to experience it before making my own judgement.
            PS My niece got her library card at age 1 month with the library tshirt.(In NM)
            I would be happy to plan a Saturday afternoon library outing.

            Carmen K Myers

            www.frenchcountrydreams.com

            www.budgetfrenchproperties.com