Re: [BookCrossing] Re: Sea Serpent Day, 2/1/2004, 12:00 am

  • Susan Dennis
    Message 1 of 20 , Feb 1, 2004
      Well, that all depends; are you talking about the
      petty and ethnocentric US Sea Serpent Day or the
      open-minded, worldy and
      ever-so-much-more-sophisticated-and-wise UK Sea
      Serpent Day?
      It's _very_ different, you know!

      > > Gee, I thought Sea Serpent Day was in August. I'd
      > hate to waste a
      > > perfectly good prehistoric-reptile release on the
      > wrong date;
      > anybody know for sure?
      > > -GoryDetails

      =====
      susan, raised in the southeastern US, now living just outside Paris, France
      bcname: suzen
    • Julie Bennett
      Message 2 of 20 , Feb 1, 2004
        > Well, that all depends; are you talking about the
        > petty and ethnocentric US Sea Serpent Day or the
        > open-minded, worldy and
        > ever-so-much-more-sophisticated-and-wise UK Sea
        > Serpent Day?
        > It's _very_ different, you know!
        >
        > > > Gee, I thought Sea Serpent Day was in August. I'd
        > > hate to waste a
        > > > perfectly good prehistoric-reptile release on the
        > > wrong date;
        > > anybody know for sure?
        > > > -GoryDetails

        Well, according to Google, Sea Serpent Day is on 7 August so Gory is
        correct. As to whether it is a UK or Us day, well the Loch Ness Monster (UK
        last time I heard) dates back to 565AD and the Great New England Sea Serpent
        (US) was first spotted in 1638.

        So if we're going on dates, it should be UK, but if we're looking at who
        normally celebrates bizarre days, then I guess it would be a US day!

        Julie
      • Laura L
        Message 3 of 20 , Feb 1, 2004
          Julie Bennett <julie.bennett3@...> wrote:
          > Well, that all depends; are you talking about the
          > petty and ethnocentric US Sea Serpent Day or the
          > open-minded, worldy and
          > ever-so-much-more-sophisticated-and-wise UK Sea
          > Serpent Day?
          > It's _very_ different, you know!
          >
          > > > Gee, I thought Sea Serpent Day was in August. I'd
          > > hate to waste a
          > > > perfectly good prehistoric-reptile release on the
          > > wrong date;
          > > anybody know for sure?
          > > > -GoryDetails

          Well, according to Google, Sea Serpent Day is on 7 August so Gory is
          correct. As to whether it is a UK or Us day, well the Loch Ness Monster (UK
          last time I heard) dates back to 565AD and the Great New England Sea Serpent
          (US) was first spotted in 1638.

          So if we're going on dates, it should be UK, but if we're looking at who
          normally celebrates bizarre days, then I guess it would be a US day!

          Julie

          I thought the Loch Ness Monster was in Scotland. Did Nessie move to the UK and I missed it? ;)

          ~Laura
          New Jersey, USA
          bc/Wildflower67

        • kittiwake16
          Message 4 of 20 , Feb 1, 2004
            --- In BookCrossing@yahoogroups.com, Laura L <wildflower_1167@y...>
            wrote:

            > Julie Bennett <julie.bennett3@b...> wrote:
            > > Well, that all depends; are you talking about the
            > > petty and ethnocentric US Sea Serpent Day or the
            > > open-minded, worldy and
            > > ever-so-much-more-sophisticated-and-wise UK Sea
            > > Serpent Day?
            > > It's _very_ different, you know!

            > > > hate to waste a
            > > > wrong date;
            > > > anybody know for sure?
            > >

            > Well, according to Google, Sea Serpent Day is on 7 August so Gory is
            > correct. As to whether it is a UK or Us day, well the Loch Ness Monster (UK
            > last time I heard) dates back to 565AD and the Great New England Sea
            Serpent
            > (US) was first spotted in 1638.
            >
            > So if we're going on dates, it should be UK, but if we're looking at who
            > normally celebrates bizarre days, then I guess it would be a US day!
            >
            > Julie
            >

            > I thought the Loch Ness Monster was in Scotland. Did Nessie move to the
            UK and I missed it? ;)

            > ~Laura
            > New Jersey, USA
            > bc/Wildflower67

            Scotland is part of the UK (,although the Scottish Nationalist Party wishes it
            wasn't).

            The UK comprises Wales, Scotland, Northern Ireland & England. What
            countries did you think were included?

            Izzy.
          • Laura L
            Message 5 of 20 , Feb 1, 2004
              kittiwake16 <kittiwake16@...> wrote:
              > I thought the Loch Ness Monster was in Scotland. Did Nessie move to the
              UK and I missed it? ;)

              > ~Laura
              > New Jersey, USA
              > bc/Wildflower67

              Scotland is part of the UK (,although the Scottish Nationalist Party wishes it
              wasn't).

              The UK comprises Wales, Scotland, Northern Ireland & England. What
              countries did you think were included?

              Izzy.

              Oh wow, I didn't know that! I learned something new today. :)

              I thought the UK was England. And I thought that Europe was England, Scotland, Ireland, Germany, Spain and I'm probably missing some countries or adding others.

              Sorry, Geography isn't one of my strong points so I'm glad I asked. :)

              ~Laura
              New Jersey, USA
              bc/Wildflower67

            • kittiwake16
              Message 6 of 20 , Feb 1, 2004
                wrote:

                > Oh wow, I didn't know that! I learned something new today. :)
                >
                > I thought the UK was England. And I thought that Europe was England,
                Scotland, Ireland, Germany, Spain and I'm probably missing some countries
                or adding others.

                > Sorry, Geography isn't one of my strong points so I'm glad I asked. :)
                >

                > ~Laura
                > New Jersey, USA
                > bc/Wildflower67

                Anyway, getting back to the original subject, I'm sure that Nessie would be
                glad to join his/her fellow sea serpents in celebrating Sea Serpent Day : )

                Izzy.
              • Steve
                Message 7 of 20 , Feb 1, 2004
                  wrote:

                  > Oh wow, I didn't know that! I learned something new today. :)
                  > I thought the UK was England. And I thought that Europe was
                  > England, Scotland, Ireland, Germany, Spain and I'm probably
                  > missing some countries or adding others.
                  > Sorry, Geography isn't one of my strong points so I'm glad I asked.
                  :)

                  Laura

                  I really shouldn't worry too much. There are a lot of British people
                  who aren't really sure either. I'll *try* and explain:

                  I'm English, from England, which with Scotland and Wales is part of
                  Britain, and if you add in a few small islands it becomes Great
                  Britain. So I'm also British. (says so in my passport)

                  If you add in Northern Ireland then you have the United Kingdom of
                  Great Britain and Northern Ireland, so I'm also from the UK.

                  If you then add in a few more islands and the Republic of Ireland
                  you get The British Isles, but this doesn't include the Isle of Man,
                  or the Bailiwicks of Jersey or Guernsey as they are merely Crown
                  Dependencies. Neither are they part of the European Union, unlike
                  the UK and the Republic of Ireland, even though they are physically
                  in Europe.

                  As for Europe, it depends how many new republics have been formed
                  this week!

                  That's as clear as mud I suspect. ;o)

                  Steve, Stratford upon Avon, England (and no, I'm not going to add all
                  the rest!)
                • Tim
                  Message 8 of 20 , Feb 1, 2004
                    What about Gibralter? Not technically part of the British Isles or
                    the United Kingdom, but a British sovereign territory. Same with
                    the Falklands. Citizens there are entitled to a British passport as
                    well, aren't they? (and I think there are some assorted other places
                    where this applies, like Monserrat in the carribean).

                    Just to confuse you further "The Commonwealth" is the collective
                    name for the group of nations that (broadly speaking) used to be
                    British colonies --- canada, australia, india etc. We all meet up
                    occasionally and have a big party. The US, although a former
                    colony, is not a member. I'd guess by mutual consent.

                    That's the problem when you have so much history: it all kind of
                    gets muddled and a little confusing. You younger nations are lucky!
                    (at least at exam time - less history to learn!)

                    tim.

                    --- In BookCrossing@yahoogroups.com, "Steve" <steve.lucas@b...>
                    wrote:
                    > --- In BookCrossing@yahoogroups.com, Laura L <wildflower_1167@y...>
                    > wrote:
                    > >
                    > > Oh wow, I didn't know that! I learned something new today. :)
                    > > I thought the UK was England. And I thought that Europe was
                    > > England, Scotland, Ireland, Germany, Spain and I'm probably
                    > > missing some countries or adding others.
                    > > Sorry, Geography isn't one of my strong points so I'm glad I
                    asked.
                    > :)
                    >
                    > Laura
                    >
                    > I really shouldn't worry too much. There are a lot of British
                    people
                    > who aren't really sure either. I'll *try* and explain:
                    >
                    > I'm English, from England, which with Scotland and Wales is part of
                    > Britain, and if you add in a few small islands it becomes Great
                    > Britain. So I'm also British. (says so in my passport)
                    >
                    > If you add in Northern Ireland then you have the United Kingdom of
                    > Great Britain and Northern Ireland, so I'm also from the UK.
                    >
                    > If you then add in a few more islands and the Republic of Ireland
                    > you get The British Isles, but this doesn't include the Isle of
                    Man,
                    > or the Bailiwicks of Jersey or Guernsey as they are merely Crown
                    > Dependencies. Neither are they part of the European Union, unlike
                    > the UK and the Republic of Ireland, even though they are physically
                    > in Europe.
                    >
                    > As for Europe, it depends how many new republics have been formed
                    > this week!
                    >
                    > That's as clear as mud I suspect. ;o)
                    >
                    > Steve, Stratford upon Avon, England (and no, I'm not going to add
                    all
                    > the rest!)
                  • Barbara
                    Message 9 of 20 , Feb 1, 2004
                      Oddly enough, Virginia (US), the state I live in is called a Common Wealth.
                      There are several states that are but I can't name them off the top of my head.

                      Barbara

                      > What about Gibralter? Not technically part of the British Isles or
                      > the United Kingdom, but a British sovereign territory. Same with
                      > the Falklands. Citizens there are entitled to a British passport as
                      > well, aren't they? (and I think there are some assorted other places
                      > where this applies, like Monserrat in the carribean).
                      >
                      > Just to confuse you further "The Commonwealth" is the collective
                      > name for the group of nations that (broadly speaking) used to be
                      > British colonies --- canada, australia, india etc. We all meet up
                      > occasionally and have a big party. The US, although a former
                      > colony, is not a member. I'd guess by mutual consent.
                      >
                      > That's the problem when you have so much history: it all kind of
                      > gets muddled and a little confusing. You younger nations are lucky!
                      > (at least at exam time - less history to learn!)
                      >
                      > tim.

                    • Emily Yerkes
                      Message 10 of 20 , Feb 1, 2004
                        So is Pennsylvania, but in this case, I believe it is the type of government, not because they used to be colonies.
                        Oddly enough, Virginia (US), the state I live in is called a Common Wealth.
                        There are several states that are but I can't name them off the top of my head.

                        Barbara

                        > What about Gibralter? Not technically part of the British Isles or
                        > the United Kingdom, but a British sovereign territory. Same with
                        > the Falklands. Citizens there are entitled to a British passport as
                        > well, aren't they? (and I think there are some assorted other places
                        > where this applies, like Monserrat in the carribean).
                        >
                        > Just to confuse you further "The Commonwealth" is the collective
                        > name for the group of nations that (broadly speaking) used to be
                        > British colonies --- canada, australia, india etc. We all meet up
                        > occasionally and have a big party. The US, although a former
                        > colony, is not a member. I'd guess by mutual consent.
                        >
                        > That's the problem when you have so much history: it all kind of
                        > gets muddled and a little confusing. You younger nations are lucky!
                        > (at least at exam time - less history to learn!)
                        >
                        > tim.

                        Have you told a friend today? http://bookcrossing.com/tellafriend

                        Archives and email list settings:

                        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                      • Barbara
                        Message 11 of 20 , Feb 1, 2004
                          Yep, I think you're right...if I recall correctly. My head is pounding fit to
                          beat the band...no pun intended. There's a weather front moving in tomorrow and
                          it's wreaking havoc with my weather indicators (sinuses) making it very
                          difficult to think.

                          Barbara

                          > So is Pennsylvania, but in this case, I believe it is the type of government,
                          not because they used to be colonies.

                        • jesse75101
                          Message 12 of 20 , Feb 1, 2004
                            Oh, God! Does that mean I need TWO sets of Sea Serpent clothes?!?!
                            I still haven't found the first set and it's not like you can pick
                            these things up at your local Target :-)

                            Jennifer

                            --- In BookCrossing@yahoogroups.com, Susan Dennis <suzen@y...> wrote:
                            > Well, that all depends; are you talking about the
                            > petty and ethnocentric US Sea Serpent Day or the
                            > open-minded, worldy and
                            > ever-so-much-more-sophisticated-and-wise UK Sea
                            > Serpent Day?
                            > It's _very_ different, you know!

                          • Mellanie
                            Message 13 of 20 , Feb 1, 2004
                              Massachusetts and Kentucky as well, I think.

                              Mellanie

                              Emily Yerkes <etischer@...> wrote:
                              So is Pennsylvania, but in this case, I believe it is the type of government, not because they used to be colonies.

                              Oddly enough, Virginia (US), the state I live in is called a Common Wealth.
                              There are several states that are but I can't name them off the top of my head.

                              My name is Mellanie and I'm a biblioholic...
                              Come see what I've been inspired to read!http://bookcrossing.com/referral/magpye29
                              Inspirational@...

                            • ali_marsi
                              Message 14 of 20 , Feb 2, 2004
                                Hey, you missed Italy, France, Belgium, Andorra, Lichtenstein, San Marino, Monaco...

                                Alicia

                                wrote:

                                > Oh wow, I didn't know that! I learned something new today. :)
                                > I thought the UK was England. And I thought that Europe was
                                > England, Scotland, Ireland, Germany, Spain and I'm probably
                                > missing some countries or adding others.
                                > Sorry, Geography isn't one of my strong points so I'm glad I asked.
                                :)

                                Laura

                                I really shouldn't worry too much. There are a lot of British people
                                who aren't really sure either. I'll *try* and explain:

                                I'm English, from England, which with Scotland and Wales is part of
                                Britain, and if you add in a few small islands it becomes Great
                                Britain. So I'm also British. (says so in my passport)

                                If you add in Northern Ireland then you have the United Kingdom of
                                Great Britain and Northern Ireland, so I'm also from the UK.

                                If you then add in a few more islands and the Republic of Ireland
                                you get The British Isles, but this doesn't include the Isle of Man,
                                or the Bailiwicks of Jersey or Guernsey as they are merely Crown
                                Dependencies. Neither are they part of the European Union, unlike
                                the UK and the Republic of Ireland, even though they are physically
                                in Europe.

                                As for Europe, it depends how many new republics have been formed
                                this week!

                                That's as clear as mud I suspect. ;o)

                                Steve, Stratford upon Avon, England (and no, I'm not going to add all
                                the rest!)

                                Have you told a friend today? http://bookcrossing.com/tellafriend

                                Archives and email list settings:

                                Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT