Re: [Bolitho] American Cup

  • SEDisorder@aol.com
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 1, 2003
      I was going to try and keep up on the America's Cup.  I don't follow sailing at all, but I don't follow baseball or horse racing that much either, but I do watch the World Series and the Triple Crown and Breeder's Cup (by the way, get this month's Variety Fair the one with (((Ben Affleck)))/bestillmybeatingheart on the cover, there's a neat article on some bet fixing that went on at an Off Track Betting parlor to the tune of millions of dollars) .  But ever since I saw pictures of some of the sailboats, the thrill was gone.  They looked like something out of a science fiction sailing novel!  I mean, look at those keels!  WEIRD!!!   I guess I'm a traditionalist when it comes to sailboats.
      Karen

    • James Goddard
      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 2, 2003
        I've seen a little of it on the News.....

        who's ship got dismasted??

        James
      • Biki
        Message 3 of 9 , Mar 3, 2003

          I’m kind of that way about the “modern” navy Karen.  To me they look like soulless metal objects (no offense to anyone who has either sailed on them, love them for their looks or find them fascinating)  I just read Douglas Reeman’s  (and yes I do know that this is Alexander Kent) A Ship Must Die, it isn’t the first time that I’ve tried to read his more modern navy stories but I just can’t get into them!  There are too many different ranks to figure out and the ships are run on diesel fun….what’s the challenge with that?  I like the wooden wall navy, the harness the wind navy the signal flag as communication navy.  It was so much more of a challenge and almost seems impossible to our minds today, but THEY did it!  They lived and fought and sailed and died.  It’s an amazing era of human endurance.

          I have watched a bit of the American Cup though and I do think the ships are things of beauty, for they too harness the wind and master the waves.

          Just my humble thoughts….don’t throw this ships cat overboard!! J

          Biki >^..^<

          Message 4 of 9 , Mar 3, 2003
            I am also reading "A ship must Die" and find it well-written.  I enjoy the wooden navy better, but the same ideas prevail.  Men/women against the seas, the importance and difficulty of command, and the bloody struggle.  I remember reading years ago the "Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monserrat (not  sure of spelling) also a good movie.  I am also reading "Command a King's Ship."  I am trying to save some money so I have to "order" the other Bolitho books from other branch libraries in Bergen County New Jersey.  I just graduated law school at a ripe old age of 52.  Is there any need of a lawyer on one of the ships?  If not I should start off as a midshipman.
          • tonybutler2003 <tony.butler0@talk21.com>
            Message 5 of 9 , Mar 3, 2003
              I think you might enjoy reading Douglas Reemans 'HMS Saracen'.
              Although it is about a modern (First World War) vessel, it has
              plenty of character, if not looks and is a cracking good story. Mr
              Reeman says it is one of his favourites and that he enjoyed writing
              it. (I think it was a fairly early one). He seems to write best
              about unfashionable vessels, i.e. river gunboats and monitors etc.
              Tony
              PS I hope your fur grows quickly, its no weather to go about naked.

              -- In Bolitho@yahoogroups.com, "Biki" <thompsonbk@a...> wrote:
              > I'm kind of that way about the "modern" navy Karen. To me they
              look
              > like soulless metal objects (no offense to anyone who has either
              sailed
              > on them, love them for their looks or find them fascinating) I
              just
              > read Douglas Reeman's (and yes I do know that this is Alexander
              Kent) A
              > Ship Must Die, it isn't the first time that I've tried to read his
              more
              > modern navy stories but I just can't get into them! There are too
              many
              > different ranks to figure out and the ships are run on diesel
              > fun..what's the challenge with that? I like the wooden wall navy,
              the
              > harness the wind navy the signal flag as communication navy. It
              was so
              > much more of a challenge and almost seems impossible to our minds
              today,
              > but THEY did it! They lived and fought and sailed and died. It's
              an
              > amazing era of human endurance.
              > I have watched a bit of the American Cup though and I do think the
              ships
              > are things of beauty, for they too harness the wind and master the
              > waves.
              > Just my humble thoughts..don't throw this ships cat overboard!! :-
              )

              > Biki >^..^<

              <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=245327.2974023.4304644.1612068/D=egroupweb/S=1
              705

              737312:HM/A=1430287/R=2/id=noscript/*http:/www.poetry.com/contest/con
              tes
              > t.asp?Suite=A33405>
              >

              > <http://us.a1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/a/1-
              /flash/intl_library_of_poetry/yah
              > oo_300x250.gif>
              >

              > <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?
              M=245327.2974023.4304644.1612068/D=egrou
              > pmail/S=:HM/A=1430287/rand=178166764>

              > <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .
            • captbrad
              Message 6 of 9 , Mar 3, 2003
                The trophy was first won by a boat called 'America' in a race around the Isle of White. Hence the name America's Cup. Not American Cup. (Even the word cup is misleading. The blasted thing has no bottom so you certainly couldn't drink out of it)

                 I have followed the America's Cup a little myself. I remember when I was a little fellow waking up really early one morning in 1983 to watch 'Australia II' finally win it off the Americans. It's interesting to note that for a while after 'Liberty' lost the cup, no 12 metre or America's Cup class yachts were painted red as she was.

                I remember that Dennis Connor won it back from us in 1987. After that it became a series of court battles and class wrangles (remember the 'venetien blind' sail on that catamaran?) before it was finally decided to abandon the 12 metre class and use a new 'America's Cup' class of boat.

                In the last challenge, the Kiwi's won it in a boat called 'Black Magic' while our Australian boat broke in half and sank.

                You'd have thought the kiwi's would have learnt from the aussies misfortunes but they didn't. In the current final series they managed to break a mast, a boom and a few other bits of gear on their way to a 5-nil loss to a swiss boat no less. That's right... a boat from a land-locked nation has now won the worlds most prestigeous yacht trophy. They are still arguing over where they will defend it. More than likely in the Med somewhere.

                Those boats are definately not designed as ocean going craft. They have absolutely no amenities on board. They are towed out to the start line and after the race are towed back in again. They are generally made from carbon fibre these days, rather han fibreglass or aluminium. You could call them the 'Formula 1' of yachts. They are designed solely for racing, and cost ridiculous sums of money, only to become obsolete and useless after the end of the regatta.

                Well... that's my lecture for the day. :)

                Commander Brad
                HMS Kestrel
                Thinking of entering Kestrel in the next challenge...
              • Robert Squarebriggs
                Message 7 of 9 , Mar 3, 2003
                  Lord thunderin' diein' Jesus!  A lawyer!

                  Clear the decks for action...........hands to quarters !  Double shot and grape on top for good measure!   Lawyers!  Where's my cutlass!  Hands to repell boarders!!!         (Land sakes....Calm down Admiral, they're not all like that!)

                  My apologies sir.........not myself lately!

                  Welcome to We Happy few, I am sure we can find a fitting place for an educated man like yourself.  Midshipman.....nonsense.  We must find something more suitable.  A 52 year old middie.....quite out of the question!  The gunroom would go to hell in a handcart!  A lawyer needs a sharp mind, so we'll put you to work learning your ropes as a Lieutenant aboard one of our crack frigates.  But first things first.  We need to know a bit about you to start....like  your name for instance.

                  You might read the FAQ's on our home pages Files section, and those should give you an idea of what we are about.  We also have profiles of most members in our files section....members CV, with a blank one there for you to fill in if you like.  All things are voluntary in our "service" so involve yourself to what ever degree you are comfortable with.

                  Welcome aboard.  We'll fix you up with a ship, just as soon as we know who we are assigning.

                  Bob...........er.......Admiral Sir Robert

                • Bspivack1@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 9 , Mar 6, 2003
                    I have trouble joining the BolithoYahoo group. My computer refused to let
                    me join. I have made some progress and hope to fill in the CV soon. My name
                    is Ben Spivack, Joining Bolitho as Harrywood666.