Re: [Bolitho] MSN Messenger - Help!

  • James Goddard
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 1, 2002
      Ok. I had a look through the help pages on Messenger service and this is what I've found:

      Why can't I connect?

      Ask yourself these questions:

      Are you sure you are connected to the Internet? If you are and you still cannot connect to MSN Messenger, the .NET Messenger Service might be temporarily unavailable. You can check its status on the .NET Service Status page.

      Do you have a .NET Passport? You must sign in to MSN Messenger with a .NET Passport. A Passport gives you a single, more secure way to sign in to multiple Internet sites and services using one sign-in name and password. If you have a Hotmail or MSN account, you already have a Passport.

      If you don't have a Passport, you can get one at the .NET Passport site.

      Have you typed your name and password correctly? Some sign-in names are case-sensitive, and some are not. Be sure to use the same capitalization when typing your sign-in name as you did when you applied for it. Also, be sure to type your password correctly, because all passwords are case-sensitive.

      Have you used the correct password? If you do not know your password, go to the .NET Passport site and reset it.

      Is your Passport working? If your Passport is not recognized, try going to a Passport site (www.passport.com or www.hotmail.com). Sign in, and make sure you are recognized there. If so, the .NET Messenger Service might be temporarily unavailable. You can check its status on the .NET Service Status page.

      Is the Passport you use an @... account? If yes, is your account still active? A Hotmail account is deactivated if it is not used during the first 10 days after registering and will be deleted 30 days after that. Check to see if you can sign in to your Hotmail account at www.hotmail.com. If not, you will need to either register for a new Hotmail account at Hotmail Registration or create a .NET Passport using any e-mail address at .NET Passport Registration.

      Are you using MSN Messenger in a corporation or through a corporate network (LAN)?

      • If you are not, and you are not behind any type of firewall, but you use an Internet service provider, follow these steps: On the Tools menu, click Options, and then click the Connection tab. Clear the I use a proxy server check box.
      • If you are, ask your system administrator to verify that the information listed on the Connection tab mentioned above is correct.
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 1, 2002
        I haven't used MSN in so long I forgot my password!  I still have the icon, and I think I d/l it last year...but I think the reason I stopped getting on MSn was because of just the reason you mention, Mary.
        Karen

      • SEDisorder@aol.com
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 2, 2002