[Bolitho] If you could take only one book...

  • Percy Harbers
    Message 1 of 16 , Nov 1, 2002

      If you had to go to sea for a month and could take only one book, what would
      it be?

      Ahoy there!

      My choice would of course be LORD OF THE RINGS!!! In English.....I´m still on my way through the Two Towers..... Do I hear my favourite ship´s kitty groan??? (No scratch-attack, please...)

      Be assured, Biki, I´ve started Alan Lewrie on holiday...boy, what a lad!!! I must say, I really like him! But Cheney, James and me had been soooo busy during our holidays, I´m not yet through the King´s Coat! J

                  Sir Percy

                  HMS Fortune (74)

                  North Sea Squadron

    • percyharbers27
      Message 2 of 16 , Nov 1, 2002
        --- In Bolitho@y..., "Erin NhaMinerva"<roisindu@i...> wrote:

        > On Thu, 31 Oct 2002 13:46:01 -0700 Biki <blkmthompson@w...> wrote:
        >
        > LOL-- on a desert island, you should get at least three *g* >

        > Erin

        THREE...."what"????? People???? Harhar...!!!!
        Always time for a nice threesome then, I presume... :-)
        Interesting question might be: Which constellation to choose: MFF (as
        would be the boys´ choice) or MMF (as the girls would perhaps
        favour)... ;-)

        I remain, almost innocent

        Naughty Admiral of Vice Sir Percy
      • ALEX POU
        Message 3 of 16 , Nov 1, 2002
          Dear Biki,
          Is like you can read my mind, i been thinking of the same
          book, and it is so much better than the movie, compare to
          the book, the movie suck.
          Alex

> [...]
          >It
          > makes me think that maybe these people really did design this trip so
          >well
          > that there was one overarching obstacle for everyone in the crew, no
          >matter
          > what kind of person they were. I also was thinking that the crew must
          >have
          > circulated the books they had amongst themselves.
          >
          > Should the book be difficult, and so, time consuming, but possibly too
          >much
          > work for such a trip, or entertaining and easy on the mind, and thus
          >something
          > you'd fly through? Should it relate to the trip or provide an escape?
          >
          > I have never gone sailing for any length of time without at least three
          >or
          > four books, and if the trip is long and the opportunites arise, I'll
          >even
          >buy
          > more along the way. And while my experience isn't wide, encompassing
          >four
          > ships total, all four of these ships have bookshelves aboard stuffed
          >with
          > books to supplement my supply.
          >
          > So what would you choose, and also, what would be the hardship that
          >would
          >be
          > the most difficult for each one of you to deal with?
          >
          > At the moment, my choice of book to bring along is _The Marshall Plan
          >for
          > Novel Writing_, because it's basically a way to plan a book, it really
          >isn't
          > reading material as such. I am assuming of course that a couple of blank
          > notebooks would be allowable equipment. My addiction to reading is such
          >that I
          > waffle between trusting my shipmates to bring along books that we'll
          >share,
          > and making sure my choice will serve me for a whole month. I considered
          >my
          > piloting textbook as well, but took a lesson from my first trip. All the
          >books
          > on ships and sailing that I brought were already aboard and available
          >for
          >my
          > use.
          >
          > I also (and you see that this question is taking up far too much of my
          >time
          > here) figured that my love for craft work would bridge the gap here.
          >Plenty of
          > sandpaper, my unfinished serving mallet and my unfinished shuttles would
          > provide hours of fun... I noticed that musical instruments were welcome,
          >and
          > my bodhran would be in my stuff for sure as well as a pennywhistle or
          >two.
          >It
          > might get me exiled to the fighting top after awhile, but them's the

          Get a speedy connection with MSN Broadband.� Join now!
        • Biki
          Message 4 of 16 , Nov 1, 2002
            My dear Sir Vet!

            So glad to hear that you started reading the Lambdin! *meow, purrrrrr, meow!*   Just, PUT THE LORD OF THE RINGS DOWN!!!  put it down!  All of the movies will be out and in re-runs on TV before you ever finish it!!!  ;-)
            I've got an extra copy of The Kings Commission.  If you need book #3 let me know and I'll send it to you.  (along with some more Cheeto's Flamin' Hots!) (I know how much you enjoyed the first bag! hehehehe)
            Biki

            Message 5 of 16 , Nov 1, 2002
              uh oh....that bad huh? And I was actually considering trying to rent a copy
              of it this weekend to watch it. I knew it wasn't very good, but I did think
              it might be "viewable" at least. It's a shame what Hollywood does to some
              great books huh?

            • "Cookie" Goose
              Message 6 of 16 , Nov 1, 2002
                ........ I'd make it Sharon Kay Penman's "The Sunne in
                Splendour" ... THE definitive novel about Richard III. ..... and
                you're right, Mark G, about what I wouldn't take ........
                Shakespeare....... to quote my Admiral....... "pon my soul!" ......

                Cookie
                Flag Captain
                HMS Odin (74)
                - all sail clapped on -
                39.1N 66.5W

                war.<br>http://www.notinourname.net/</p>
              • Robert Squarebriggs
                Message 7 of 16 , Nov 1, 2002
                  I have watched the responses to this question with continued interest! I
                  must say, I am amaized at the variety.

                  > If you had to go to sea for a month and could take only one book,
                  > what would
                  > > it be?

                  My own selection would be "The History of the French Frigate" by Jean
                  Boudroit. Not a work of fiction, but containing so much about the era that
                  I enjoy.

                  The Complete Works of Shakesphere......Lord of The Rings
                  Trilogy............lord love us, how long do you think a month at sea is?
                  And do you think that you'll be doing nothing but laying around reading!
                  What with your part of ship department work, then your watchkeeping, you are
                  lucky to get a night sleep, let alone time to read. Then we have exercises:
                  action stations, emergency stations, fire drill, boats drill, man overboard
                  drill, guns drill, sail drill........get the idea. :-) Of course if you
                  are an admiral, you have lots of time to read and write.............reports,
                  requests and orders.

                  I remain...................

                  Admiral Sir Robert
                • "Cookie" Goose
                  Message 8 of 16 , Nov 2, 2002
                    --- In Bolitho@y..., "Robert Squarebriggs" <squbrigg@n...> wrote:

                    > And do you think that you'll be doing nothing but laying around
                    reading!
                    > What with your part of ship department work, then your
                    watchkeeping, you are
                    > lucky to get a night sleep, let alone time to read. Then we have
                    exercises:
                    > action stations, emergency stations, fire drill, boats drill, man
                    overboard
                    > drill, guns drill, sail drill........get the idea. :-) Of course
                    if you

                    ......aye, Sir -- don't I know it ........ I know by now just how you
                    want your flagship run!

                    - Cookie -
                    Your Flag Captain
                    40.9N 64.0W

                    p.s. in RL my usual Saturday morning trip round the Market yielded
                    another in the Drinkwater series "Ebb Tide" and Cornwell's "The
                    Gallows Thief" - so well pleased with those.
                  • Erin NhaMinerva
                    Message 9 of 16 , Nov 4, 2002
                      Admiral Sir Robert,

                      Ah, just back from a weekend of sailing, liberally mixed with maintenance, to
                      find my mail was turned off... Just turned it on again, and will go back to the
                      site for anything after Saturday morning. I think that this is the universe's
                      way of telling me I'm on too many lists!

                      I do admit that it was probably the way The Ship was presented that caused me to
                      think so obsessively on this question, that and the game that used to be played
                      on galley duty in one ship I sailed in--it was the desert island and three books
                      game. The part where the ship was becalmed did imply that with no wind for a
                      week or so, the crew did indeed sugest that the crew had little more to do than
                      read and, I assume, stand their watches. However, I know my reading speed as
                      well. Last time I was gone for a week, with wind, I managed to get over halfway
                      through _The Only Victor_ in my off watches, as well as do some rather obsessive
                      journaling. I know that if I'm left to myself for an entire day, I can get
                      through your average novel. So one book for a whole month? It had better be
                      either worth rereading, or hefty...

                      And Lord of the Rings is beginning to sound like a very good choice...

                      I went through the bookshelves in the Chieftain this weekend, BTW. Alexander
                      Kent is represented only by a well read copy of _Sloop of War_. There are about
                      three Hornblowers, and then a few other pieces of maritime fiction. Most of the
                      books, however, are useful rather than fun. But if I had nothing to read when I
                      came aboard, I would survive. I do agree, however, at least this weekend, I
                      didn't have time to even crack a book. Far too busy.

                      Erin

                      Robert Squarebriggs wrote:

                      > I have watched the responses to this question with continued interest! I
                      > must say, I am amaized at the variety.
                      >
                      > > If you had to go to sea for a month and could take only one book,
                      > > what would
                      > > > it be?
                      >
                      > My own selection would be "The History of the French Frigate" by Jean
                      > Boudroit. Not a work of fiction, but containing so much about the era that
                      > I enjoy.
                      >
                      > The Complete Works of Shakesphere......Lord of The Rings
                      > Trilogy............lord love us, how long do you think a month at sea is?
                      > And do you think that you'll be doing nothing but laying around reading!
                      > What with your part of ship department work, then your watchkeeping, you are
                      > lucky to get a night sleep, let alone time to read. Then we have exercises:
                      > action stations, emergency stations, fire drill, boats drill, man overboard
                      > drill, guns drill, sail drill........get the idea. :-) Of course if you
                      > are an admiral, you have lots of time to read and write.............reports,
                      > requests and orders.

                      > Admiral Sir Robert

                      Erin NhaMinerva

                      AKA The Ragged Rose