Comments from a Newbie

  • madonna mercer
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 14, 1999
      Hello everyone:
      Here's my brief introduction - I'm 39, female, and discovered Alexander Kent
      in 1979; I read To Glory We Steer and I was hooked. Now I have the full
      collection in hardcover and read them over and over.

      I don't know what the demographics are on this list, but I'm assuming it's
      male dominated? Or is this a wrong assumption on my part?

      What I truly enjoy, and what captured my immediate attention, are Kent's
      characterizations. The somewhat melancholy, honourable Bolitho had me in
      thrall. Kent's sea battles are second to none, and I read every book I can
      get my hands on with a historical naval theme.

      In 1979 Alexander Kent (Douglas Reeman) and I started corresponding back and
      forth - a letter a year and a Christmas card mostly. But each letter meant
      so much to me. In a letter he wrote me back in 1981 I was assured by the
      author that could not bear, and would never, write *the* Bolitho death scene
      <heavy sigh>. I was in a blue funk for a week after reading Sword of
      Honour. *If* there had to be a death scene, I would have expected *so* much
      more - not a little blurb on a page. God, Allday (perhaps my favourite
      character) hardly played a part in the book - and he is, in my opinion, the
      integral character who pulls events and people together.

      Now we have Adam. I enjoyed Adam initially. Then his character turned into
      a Harlequin romance type, bereaft at the loss of his one true love <oh
      pulease!>. (Actually, even Richard was leaning that way for a while, and
      that disturbed me). I wanted to see more of Thomas Herrick, I wanted more
      interaction between Adam and Val Keen (another character I love), whose
      relationship *could* have rivaled Richard's and Thomas's in their early
      days.

      Anyway, that's my rant. Have I turned anyone off?! I have the next book on
      order and it should be here in September - and Adam better have a back bone!

      MaDonna.
    • Barbara Buhrer
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 15, 1999
        I may be the only other female on the list. Welcome! I too have had a
        long lasting correspondence with Douglas Reeman/Alexander Kent. I was
        devastated when myRichard
      • bab7127@xxxxx.xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx)
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 15, 1999
          I think I may be the only other female on the list. Welcome! I too
          have had a long lasting correspondence with Douglas Reeman/Alexander
          Kent ( letters, birthday and Christmas cards). I was devastated when my
          Richard died. I hoped Kent would keep him alive by going back to his
          earlier adventures. It has been a problem for me to get the newest
          books since Kent no longer has an American (excuse me, United States )
          publisher. I depend on a Canadian friend to buy the books in Canada
          whenthey are released, and that is not always convenient to do. Do you
          have any difficulty finding his books?
        • bab7127@xxxxx.xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx)
          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 15, 1999
            I thnk I may be the only other female on the list. Welcome! I too have
            had a longlasting correspondence with Douglas Reeman/Alexander
            Kent(letters,birthday and Christmas cards). I was devastated to read
            Richard's death. I hoped that Kent would keep on with more books about
            Bolitho's early days. I have had difficulty obtaining his books since
            he no longer has an American (excuse me, United States) publisher. I
            have to depend on a Canadian friend to buy the latest and send it to
            me,and that isn't always convenient. Have you had any difficulty
            finding his books? Barbara in hot and humid
            Florida.
          • madonna mercer
            Message 5 of 5 , Aug 15, 1999
              Hi Barbara: We're the only two females on the list?! <big grin> We're
              infiltrating everywhere these days, aren't we. No, I never have any problem
              purchasing his books as our local bookstores carry them and they arrive at
              outlets fairly quickly. I live in Newfoundland and, as we're a seafaring
              culture, Kent/Reeman is pretty popular. I'm looking forward to his latest,
              with some trepidation. Losing a well beloved character is, silly as it may
              sound, like losing a friend. Twenty years is a long time and I, too, was
              heartbroken when he died. Let's hope, at least, that Allday will be in the
              next one (although he is getting up there in years). Nice talking to you.

              MaDonna.