Re: Douglas Reeman aka Alexander Kent

  • Allan Ee
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 5, 1999
      Hi everyone,

      I just finished Douglas Reeman's "Badge of Glory" which I found in a library. As
      Douglas Reeman and Alexander Kent are one and the same, I am compelled to ask myself
      this question. Which is better? Bolitho or Blackwood?

      As they are both by the same author, the writing style is almost similiar. Both
      heroes possess almost similiar characteristics; the same self doubts, relationships
      with superior officers and colleagues, the same heroism which was unrecognised by
      the navy (one in naval action the other land action), suffered serious but not
      life-threatening injuries, almost similiar types of love life (suggestions of sex in
      Blackwood but only once mentioned in about 10 books I've read on Bolitho (Command a
      King's Ship)

      While the Bolitho series deals with the career of a single character, Richard
      Bolitho, the Blackwood series deals with the Blackwood family each book devoted to
      one member of that family. As such Bolitho provides more details about his day to
      day life on board his ship and involves several minor actions before the climax of a
      single battle encounter. The Badge of Glory involves two major campaigns, Africa and
      Crimea and therefore zips from one incident to another at a faster pace.

      I have yet to read other D. Reeman books. The library has a small collection but
      only one from the Blackwood series and I've just read it.

      I'd love to hear more about what you folks have to say on this topic.

      Allan

      Bolitho-owner@onelist.com wrote:

      > Hello,
      >
      > Welcome to the list. Please take a moment to review this message.
      >
      > Well, welcome to the 'Richard Bolthio' discussion group. The idea here is to
      > talk about the books and characters involved within the series and comment on
      > anything you feel is relevant. I welcome all comments good and bad.
      >
      > As mentioned in the statement, the offical news letter from Kent says he is
      > continuing the series but this time with 'Adam Bolithio.' Any comments about
      > this or story lines would be a good discussion group.
      >
      > I hope you have enjoyed the series as much as I have. If you haven't let me know
      > and why. If you have just started reading the series tell me what you think.
      >
      > Your probably busy people like me, so I'll let you go. Happy reading!
      >
      > To unsubscribe from this list, go to the ONElist web site, at
      >
      > www.onelist.com, and select the User Center link from the menu bar
      >
      > on the left. This menu will also let you change your subscription
      >
      > between digest and normal mode.
      >
      > Bon Voyage!
      >
      > Edwin
    • Edwin Russell Cuthbert
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 5, 1999
        Thanks Allan for your message about Blackwood by DR. I must confess that I
        have never read any of the books written under DR....so I would say that
        Ak is better.

        It'll be interesting to see what the rest of list has to say.

        See ya'

        Edwin

        Edwin Cuthbert (Postgrad.), Tel : 0797 1198910
        Department of Chemistry, Email: E.R.Cuthbert@...
        University of Reading,
        Whiteknights, Reading,
        Berkshire, RG6 6AH.
        England
      • Veronesi Randy
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 5, 1999
          As I'm and avid reader (and re-reader of these series), I must say for
          volume the Bolitho (KENT) wins. You are correct in that they are similar in
          style but I give huge points in knowing the story is going to go on and on.
          I've looked at my library and see 3 blackwood novels and 20+ Bolitho. Since
          I like both for many of the same reasons and for the differences also I hate
          saying who I like best as I'm glag I have both to enjoy.

          PS. I've just finished reading a nautical series by Dewey Lambdin. Hi
          highly recommend them even though they are written by an American about the
          British Navy. The main character "Alan Lewrie" is tarry hand.

          Thanks Allan for your message about Blackwood by DR. I must confess that I
          have never read any of the books written under DR....so I would say that
          Ak is better.

          It'll be interesting to see what the rest of list has to say.

          See ya'

          Edwin

          Edwin Cuthbert (Postgrad.), Tel : 0797 1198910
          Department of Chemistry, Email: E.R.Cuthbert@...
          University of Reading,
          Whiteknights, Reading,
          Berkshire, RG6 6AH.
          England

          We must be crazy! We're practically giving our books away! Doubleday
          Book Club´┐Ż offers the best sellers and more! Get 5 books for just $.99
          + 1 free with membership! Go to http://www.onelist.com/ad/doubleday8

        • Dale Dworak
          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 6, 1999
            If you read one Douglas Reeman book, read HMS Saracen. Detailing the
            exploits of a monitor in both world wars, the book is IMO Reeman's
            best. And better than many of the the Kent books.

            Reeman uses a single character, Richard Chesnaye, to tie the story
            together. Chesnaye first joins Saracen in 1915, in time for the
            Gallipoli campaign. He returns as the ship's captain in 1941/42 during
            the North African campaign.

            Dale